nemesis20

What to do in case of divorce?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi kababayans,

Im new here but need some advice. I came here and got married December 2007. it's May,less than 6 months married and my husband wants a divorce. I love my husband and dont want a divorce but I cant be on a marrige on my own.I

I filed my AOS and EAD on Feb 2008 and just got my EAD card. I'm working now and can barely support myself. I dont really want to return to the philippines right now because of the stigma of divorce.I dont want to be 26 and divorced so early into the marriage. Wala akong mukhang maihaharap. I dont want to go back to all my friends and family with my tail behind my back after I defended this marriage albeit wrongly. I had a good career there and if I return now, I dont have any money on my own because I send my extra cash to my family. This is another reason I dont want to go back-I have siblings I need to support. I'm well educated and have good working experience.

My question is: What are my options after divorce when my AOS is still pending, I dont have a greencard yet and my husband will definitely not support my getting a greencard. He actually wants me to leave ASAP so that I wont be able to get it because we are expecting an interview this June or July or he is afraid Ill be TNT which obviously I wont be doing. What can I do while we are going through the divorce process? I dont even know how long it will take. I was thinking of going to Canada or Middle East instead so atleast Ill still be earning more. What are the chances that if I go back to the Philippines and cancel my AOS application, I can get a US visa in the future? Im really lost, please help me.

I'd go see a immigration lawyer. If your hubby has shown any signs of mental or physical abuse you may be able to get the GC on your own.

Hopefully your AOS was transfered to CSC and you have a good chance of getting your GC without an interview.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
I'd go see a immigration lawyer. If your hubby has shown any signs of mental or physical abuse you may be able to get the GC on your own.

Hopefully your AOS was transfered to CSC and you have a good chance of getting your GC without an interview.

How do I know exactly what is happening to my case or if it was moved to the CSC? Last I checked online it was transferred to National Benfits center or something.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi kababayans,

Im new here but need some advice. I came here and got married December 2007. it's May,less than 6 months married and my husband wants a divorce. I love my husband and dont want a divorce but I cant be on a marrige on my own.I

I filed my AOS and EAD on Feb 2008 and just got my EAD card. I'm working now and can barely support myself. I dont really want to return to the philippines right now because of the stigma of divorce.I dont want to be 26 and divorced so early into the marriage. Wala akong mukhang maihaharap. I dont want to go back to all my friends and family with my tail behind my back after I defended this marriage albeit wrongly. I had a good career there and if I return now, I dont have any money on my own because I send my extra cash to my family. This is another reason I dont want to go back-I have siblings I need to support. I'm well educated and have good working experience.

My question is: What are my options after divorce when my AOS is still pending, I dont have a greencard yet and my husband will definitely not support my getting a greencard. He actually wants me to leave ASAP so that I wont be able to get it because we are expecting an interview this June or July or he is afraid Ill be TNT which obviously I wont be doing. What can I do while we are going through the divorce process? I dont even know how long it will take. I was thinking of going to Canada or Middle East instead so atleast Ill still be earning more. What are the chances that if I go back to the Philippines and cancel my AOS application, I can get a US visa in the future? Im really lost, please help me.

Hi, I wanted to reply to your letter. To be clear you were sponsored on a K-1 Visa, and you are married now.

Your husband, sponsor, petitioned the US government to have you come here and he married you. He obgilated himself to support you by that sponsorship. It is a binding deal, read the Affidavit of support, any good lawyer will tell you the same thing. Marriage is legitimate and legal. The process assures the beneficiary not to become a public charge.

You are here and he wanted you here. He asked his government to have you here and he would provide for you through this process. Find a lawyer who practices divorce and or immigration law. You have all the rights now that you are here and more so you have a sponsor who filed a AOS. The government wants to know who is taking care of you before you get here and who is taking care of you if that marriage fails in the first two years. Let me know if you need help.

Hi kababayans,

Hi, I wanted to reply to your letter. To be clear you were sponsored on a K-1 Visa, and you are married now.

Your husband, sponsor, petitioned the US government to have you come here and he married you. He obgilated himself to support you by that sponsorship. It is a binding deal, read the Affidavit of support, any good lawyer will tell you the same thing. Marriage is legitimate and legal. The process assures the beneficiary not to become a public charge.

You are here and he wanted you here. He asked his government to have you here and he would provide for you through this process. Find a lawyer who practices divorce and or immigration law. You have all the rights now that you are here and more so you have a sponsor who filed a AOS. The government wants to know who is taking care of you before you get here and who is taking care of you if that marriage fails in the first two years. Let me know if you need help.

Hi, i am the big fat cow who is jealous and angry and like to send hateful insults to other members because i hate my life.

I am a cow, i have always been a cow and i want everyone else to be a cow like me, iam jealous that others have found happiness.

i hate the fact that young beautiful women marry more established mature men. i am a cow. mmmoooo. if i insult you it is because i hate myself, iam a cow.Nesssie is now operating under the profile name (blank) just like her heart and soul, BLANK>

THIS IS For ALL OF YOU THAT WERE ATTACKED WITH INSULTS AND PUT DOWNS BY THE PEOPLE AT THE PROFILE Nesssie

YOU ATTACKED THE CORE OF THESE PEOPLES LIVES. YOU HAVE NO MORALS OR BRAINS. YOU SIT IN JUDGEMENT OF PEOPLE.

YOU WILL FIND HER CRUEL INSULTS ALL OVER ON PEOPLES PROFILES. NOT ONLY IS SHE A COW, BUT A STUPID COW!

DO YOU EVER ASK YOURSELF HOW OR WHY YOU CAN SURROUND YOURSELF WITH MATURE INTELLIGENT ADULTS WHO SHARE THE SAME LIFE EXPERIENCES AND THE STRUGGLES OF RELATIONSHIPS AND GOVERNMENTS AND ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU START GETTING INSULTING EMAILS FROM SOME DUMB IDIOT WHO DOES NOT KNOW HER BUTT FROM A HOLE IN THE GROUND. SOME INDIVIDUAL WHO DOES NOT HAVE THE RESPECT FOR THEMSELVES YET ALONE ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. THEN THEY STATE THAT THEIR SEXUAL MACHINES THAT YOU CANT HANDLE. DOES IT GET ANY STUPIDER THEN THAT?ALL THESE PEOPLE ON THIS DOMAIN WHO PUT IT OUT THERE LOOKING FOR SUPPORT AND SHAREING A COMMON BOND AND A IDIOT HAS THE BRAINLESS, GODLESS AMBITION TO INSULT AND DEGRADE THE PROCESS. THE PROCESS OF LOVE AND COMMITMENT AND WORK AND WORRY AND THE RESPONSIBILITY OF A MARRIAGE. WHAT RELIGION TEACHES THESE VALUES?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
What are the chances that if I go back to the Philippines and cancel my AOS application, I can get a US visa in the future? Im really lost, please help me.

Its hard to say what your chances are to come back to the US. As a tourist? probably slim. There's too many variables still. But IF you do get back to Philippines, make sure you are divoced and make sure you have all the paperworks with you. So when or if you meet someone from the US in the future, you wont have a problem with your K1 or CR1 visa.

Good luck!

Edited by NoelandTintin

Timeline

I'd fight at least to stay. It seems to me that you entered into this in good faith, assuming that your relationship and marriage were going to be for all time, and that you had left behind everything to be with your husband, and now he is wanting to send you back like a meal that was not cooked right? If he does divorce you, get some of his money and make sure that your divorce lawyer has him cover the fees for the immigration lawyer that oyu will need to try to fight to stay here. I am fairly incensed at anyone who would enter into this process and then toss it aside so casually after 6 months stranding someone in a place far from home and with no money. It's the sort of fast food, cable channel changer mentality that drives me nuts about most Americans. If there's a problem with something, get a new one, don;t bother trying to fix it. :ranting::ranting:

Sorry just feeling a little stress and let a rant slip through. If your man doesn't want to try to fix things and just wants the quick fix of dumping you and sending you back, then i say get a good lawyer and take him to the cleaners.

My Journey to Motherhood

Our Wedding Pics

Onli In Da Pilipins - Collection of sights and thoughts for my beloved country.

Our Love HIStory

06/26/06: Met at Bigchurch.com

07/14/07: First meeting in person.

12/19/07: Got my surprise gift through snail mail: my engagement ring!

02/11-18/08: Valentine's Week together!

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765)

04/09/09: Sent packet to Illinois Lockbox

04/20/09: Received Notice of Action

04/27/09: Received Biometrics Appointment

05/09/09: Biometrics Appointment

06/01/09: Received EAD Card

08/18/09: Interview (postponed due to baby's delivery)

12/16/09: Interview - Approved!

2_613061495l.jpg

In her eyes I see the reflection of what love is all about.

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Ecclesiastes 4:12

Filed: Timeline

think twice before saying 'I love my husband and dont want a divorce'. why does he want a divorce from you? it seems like he's taking your love for granted.

what kind of guy is your husband? did you get to learn much about his moral character during your engagement? did he respect you & demonstrate love & commitment? because how he treated you during your engagement is the best indication of whether you can trust him. from the clues in your story, it sounds like he might be the unfaithful type who doesn't value commitment, and sees others & sleeps around behind your back. if that's the case, just let him go. he doesn't deserve you, and God will punish him for his sins.

sorry, just don't want to see a fellow woman taken advantage of while she's blinded by love.

I'm sorry to hear that your marriage didn't work out. It must be hard what you're going through now esp. that you don't have any family or friends to support you here.I would suggest you try to seek a legal advice from an immigration lawyer of your chances of staying here. I hope things will be better for you in the days to come. Good luck and God bless.

K1 Timeline

02/26/2007 - Filed I-129F

03/08/2007 - NOA1

06/05/2007 - NOA2

09/10/2007 - Interview

09/13/2007 - Visa Received

12/14/2007 - Flight to USA, POE-LAX

02/22/2008 - Wedding Date

AOS

05/29/2008 - I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox

06/19/2008 - Biometrics

08/25/2008 - Card production ordered

08/30/2008 - Green Card received

ROC

07/15/2010 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

07/19/2010 - NOA1

07/21/2010 - Check cleared

08/11/2010 - Biometrics

08/24/2010 - Card production ordered

08/27/2010 - Approval notice received

08/30/2010 - Green card received

N400 - Naturalization

08/08/2011 - Mailed N400 to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

08/12/2011 - NOA

08/15/2011 - Check cashed

09/07/2011 - Biometrics

09/09/2011 - Case status update - In line for testing & interview

09/13/2011 - Case status update - Interview scheduled

09/16/2011 - Interview appointment letter received from the mail

10/31/2011 - Test/Interview - Passed

12/07/2011 - In line for Oath Ceremony Scheduling

01/27/2012 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

to answer some questions, yes I was petitioned through K1 visa. I dont have really funds for hiring an immigration lawyer and thats why Im here seeking advice on legalities and what i can do to continue to stay here inspite of going through a divorce and not having a greencard yet. im expecting the interview sometime this July but will I be deported because Im going through a divorce or do they wait till its finalized? what do i say during the interview? Im really lost.

to answer some questions, yes I was petitioned through K1 visa. I dont have really funds for hiring an immigration lawyer and thats why Im here seeking advice on legalities and what i can do to continue to stay here inspite of going through a divorce and not having a greencard yet. im expecting the interview sometime this July but will I be deported because Im going through a divorce or do they wait till its finalized? what do i say during the interview? Im really lost.

Here's a web page that may help you with some of your questions. If the divorce affects your AOS negitavely, you may be able to get your employer to sponsor you on an H class visa. You really need to consider suspending sending all your extra cash back and save for a divorce lawyer.

First trip 01-17-07

Married 02-05-07

What Service Center was filed at? Nebraska transferred to California

Provide dates for the following:

I-130 sent (Mailed)..........................3-12-07

1st NOA (Receipt Notice) .................3-29-07

2nd NOA (Approval Notice) e-mail.....6-15-07

Bill for I-864 processing fee rcd and sent..7-24-07

I-864 Packet Received......................8-18-07

I-864 Mailed to NV............................8-20-07

Bill for DS-230 received....................8-29-07

Payment for DS-230 sent..................8-30-07

DS-230 Packet received..................10-25-07

DS-230 Packet sent to NVC..............10-29-07

Case Completed..............................11-16-07

Case Forwarded to Embassy.............11-30-07

Packet recieved from NVC................12-07-07

Medical complete...............................1-04-08

Leave for Manila................................1-19-08

Interview and approval......................1-22-08

Visa in Hand .....................................1-24-08

Arrived in USA...................................3-19-08

Filed: Timeline
Hmmmm always remember there are 2 sides to every story.

Yes and the husbands side is porbably that he was cheating on her before she moved to US & now decided he wants the other girl.

im sorry but something is obviously wrong with him. when someone changes the mind after only a few months of marriage it has to be for some reason and it just sounds like the guy did something behind her back.

Timeline
Hi kababayans,

Hi nemesis20,

I feel for you. This must be totally devastating for you. But you seem to be a really strong woman to still go on with the battle. Is there really no hope for your marriage? Have you tried to consult a marriage counsellor? Gosh, sorry to sound so romantic but I really believe there still is hope for your marriage.

Well if in case you cannot save the marriage and if your husband has already filed the divorce, then I think you should also consult an immigration lawyer. Maybe you can check the Philippine Embassy in your area if there are people there who can help you out. Or maybe you can check out Gurfinkel Immigration Consultants...i don't know if you have them in your are but they help out Filipinos with immigration problems. Try also searching the internet for free consultation of immigration lawyers, maybe there is one out there who can help you for free.

Will be praying for you. God bless you girl!

Timeline

Thank you all so much for the replies.I am trying to work out my marriage. It's complicated.I was not trying to point fingers at anyone nor solicit pity. My husband is not a bad guy. I just stated the facts to ask advice regarding my immigration case. If it really doesnt work out I will try to call Phil embassy or try to get working visa. But I am like other Filipinos who believe marriage is for keeps and problems can be overcome.

Regarding my case:

I logged in at USCIS and it says there that last update was Feb 25, 2008. Seems like no one is working on it. I see most people's cases filed same time as mine being touched. I tried calling but they couldn't help me. Last notice I got was from National Benefits center.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Yes and the husbands side is porbably that he was cheating on her before she moved to US & now decided he wants the other girl.

im sorry but something is obviously wrong with him. when someone changes the mind after only a few months of marriage it has to be for some reason and it just sounds like the guy did something behind her back.

wow... you are bitter...

Edited by RonnieP

Product-500.jpg

phsmall.gif

Vermont Service Center

I-129F Sent : 05-07-08

I-129F NOA1 : 05-15-08

Touched : 06-26-08

NOA2 : 08/29/08

ApprovaL NVC sent:09/01/08

Arrived @ NCV :09/03/08

called NVC 09/04/08 received case #*

NOA2 hard copy in mail Sept. 6, 2008

LetteR from NVC: Sept. 8, 2008

Left NVC : Sept. 24, 2008 > Arrived Sept. 29th

Medical Oct. : 7/13/2008 passed!

Interview date: Oct. 20,2008 7am ***APPROVED***

Visa delivery : Oct. 23,2008

Arrival in USA : oCt. 29 ,2008 POE Houston, Tx.

Life is good !!

<

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.