xmgirl

Getting a job

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I just want to hear how the experience of getting a job have been. I am looking for a job but I just feel so nervous about everything. My husband and other people have told me that I need to send my applications to jobs on line but I feel they will not look at my resume...

Edited by xmgirl

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I applied online for all the jobs I applied for and got numerous interviews and a job within a week of applying.

They do look at online applications, don't worry!

AOS

Date Filed : 2008-02-15

NOA Date : 2008-02-26

RFE(s) : 2008-03-13

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2008-07-23

Approval / Denial Date : 2008-07-23

Approved : 2008-07-23

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

EAD

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

Approved Date : 2008-04-24

Date Card Received : 2008-05-03

Comments : Packet Arrived in Chicago - Feb 20, 2008

Check cashed Feb 28, 2008

AP

RFE(s) :

Date Approved: 2008-04-24

Date Received : 2008-05-01

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

wow one week!! It almost passed 1-2 months a nobody has called me :angry: For me is the first time that I'm here in US and it's too hard to find a job. But we need to persist and have faith.

Good luck

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I applied online for all the jobs I applied for and got numerous interviews and a job within a week of applying.

They do look at online applications, don't worry!

Please understand...this is YOUR experience. My husband (also Cdn) did the very same thing. He came here with a college education but it hasn't helped much so far. He applied online as well...never heard a thing. They may read those online apps but not everyone has your round of luck...not everyone gets an interview. It all depends on the job market for the area in which one lives. That much I do know, I'm the USC and I've had the SAME experience.

To the OP: I hope you find something soon. My husband finally got a job four months after his EAD was approved and in hand. It wasn't a job he applied for online...it was from the local newspaper. Don't forget to look there as well.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I got my job from word of mouth, from recommendations from friends and family. Had no luck finding a job online or with newspaper adds. Within 2 weeks I had 3 job interviews and 3 job offers of which I was able to pick the best one for me and over 2 years later I am still in that job. I know it is different for every area but my advise is explore all avenues and get to know as many people in your area as possible because some companies don't advertise they go on recommendations from there employees.

Good Luck to all in there hunt for a new job

Tony

Karen ( USA ) and Tony ( UK ) now both residing in USA!!

2/28/05- I-129F sent to TSC

7/29/05- Interview date- Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/06/05-Tony comes home to Tennessee!!!

10/08/05-WE'RE MARRIED!!! I love this man!

AOS/EAD/AP

11/26/05-filed for emergency AP

11/29/05-filed for AOS/EAD

03/07/06-online EAD approval

03/10/06-received EAD in post and passed driving test (Wow what a day)

07/26/06-AOS Interview---APPROVED!!!!!!

07/31/06-received 'Welcome to America' Letter

08/07/06-received Green card in post wooooooooohoooooooo

03/30/09-received approval to remove conditions!

I got my job by applying online. Personally, I was just fortunate it only took 3 days for the company to reply and was called in for panel interview a week after they received my resume. It depends also on the type of job you're looking for and your location.

Just keep on sending out your resume either by mail, internet, or you may also try out temp. agencies and other headhunters.

Best of luck in your job hunting!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I've been applying for 3 months.... had a few interviews but nothing so far. I'm now volunteering because I can't stand to be in the house all day, and at least I'll have some stateside experience on my resume.

There are very few jobs here (in Dayton). It's frustrating beyond belief.

Oh and I've applied online for most jobs and have gotten 4 interviews so far (over the last 3 months)

I applied online as well got some offers too good to be true. I got one interview on teaching not heard from them for 2 weeks .. I am still looking..

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

yesterday a recruiter of Transam Associates (medical transcription company) sent me an email...not sure if I'm interested on this but someone might would like to try...

http://www.transamassociates.com/hotjobs/

bunbunard20090713_-6_ETHAN.png

I-751 Lifting Conditions Timeline

April 06, 2010 - mailed I-751 documents via usps express mail(overnight)with delivery confirmation

April 07, 2010 - packet delivered and signed

April 12, 2010 - check was cashed

April 13, 2010 - received NOA1 (dated 04/08/10)

May 07, 2010 - Biometrics

May 10, 2010 - Touched

June 23, 2010 - APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!

DSC00770.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife applied online with minimal success... She also applied in person and found greater success and was offered a job at the second place she interviewd at. Not a great job, but gets her some US work history to put on her resume ( she affectionately refers to it as her "paid" English lessons) .... She will wait to find a better job after the summer when she returns from her visit to her "homeland" (she actually has one set up tentatively but we will see if it still is available later).

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've found almost every single job I've had online. Either on Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, HotJobs or Dice.com. When I was unemployed I used to apply at about 10 different places every day even if I knew I wouldn't qualify. The last time I had to do it again was a few months ago and they hired me even without having any experience but I had nailed the interview. You have to treat looking for a job as a full time job if you want to find something.

Finding jobs online is easier, faster, more convenient and it does work. It's worked for me, my sister, my husband and many other people.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

my hubby applied for a tonne of jobs online and he also emailed his resumes to a tonne of different of different companies and he has now been at his new job for a week :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

About the online jobs, I guess I just hate to have to create a profile and load all of my personal data to a website. I just miss that in Mexico I used to only send my resume by email.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.