darkhorse

I found a turtle

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

As the title already says I found a turtle in our backyard.

Yesterday one of our dogs was barking at something and I told her to stop which she did, but a few minutes later she started barking really loud again. She rarely barks so I figured it must be something important...

I went o check it out and found that turtle. I have no idea what kind it is but would like to know.

Can anyone tell me what it is? A land- water- amphibious turtle? I gave it some canned dogfood yesterday and it ate it all.

post-32585-1211125167_thumb.jpg

post-32585-1211125202_thumb.jpg

4ce772a081.png

I don't know what type of turtle it is...but I just wanted to say this is the cutest thread I've seen on VJ in awhile.

The title alone made me smile so much! :luv:

I hope you find out what kind it is! :)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Yesterday one of our dogs was barking at something and I told her to stop which she did, but a few minutes later she started barking really loud again. She rarely barks so I figured it must be something important...

I went o check it out and found that turtle. I have no idea what kind it is but would like to know.

Can anyone tell me what it is? A land- water- amphibious turtle? I gave it some canned dogfood yesterday and it ate it all.

Looks like a Box Turtle.... Better put a leash on him since you fed him some dog food! :devil: Just kidding

Filed: Timeline

It's a tortoise :D

A land turtle - and it looks like it's in good condition, it's carapax (shell) is all even and well built.

Feed it with cucumber, lettuce, carrot, tomato, pepper - a little bit of fruit once in a while as a treat (they love banana). I had a tortoise for many years - if you have any more questions, feel free to pm me :D

Filed: Other Timeline

Beats the hell out of me. Have no idea. :no:

It actually ate the dog food? :lol: That was cool. Poor fella must have been really hungry.

You going to keep it?

Life is so strange but it sure keeps you on your toes!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It's sooo Cute!!! It's a box Turtle! I love turtles! i have 2 of my own

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Timeline
the same thing happened to me yesterday! my puppy was flipping out and I couldn't figure out why the heck she wouldn't stop. turns out she was barking at a turtle as well.

What a coincidence! The funny thing is that thursday the same dog was harrasing a frog and I saved it by putting it in the frontyard. When my husband came home I told him that I saved a "turtle". I always mix up those names :wacko: I don't know why...

After we figured out that I was mistaken the name I told him that if i would ever find a turtle in our yard I would keep it. Yesterday my husband left for a week for work and I find a turtle!

I sent him an email telling him I found a frog with the pictures of the turtle... I guess I will never learn. :whistle:

4ce772a081.png

Timeline

Beats the hell out of me. Have no idea. :no:

It actually ate the dog food? :lol: That was cool. Poor fella must have been really hungry.

You going to keep it?

If it wants to stay it can. I will not force it though.

I already have a name for it. Einstein because there is NO WAY that I can think of that it got in our yard. We have our yard fenced every single inch so that turtle must be a GENIOUS to get in :lol:

4ce772a081.png

the same thing happened to me yesterday! my puppy was flipping out and I couldn't figure out why the heck she wouldn't stop. turns out she was barking at a turtle as well.

What a coincidence! The funny thing is that thursday the same dog was harrasing a frog and I saved it by putting it in the frontyard. When my husband came home I told him that I saved a "turtle". I always mix up those names :wacko: I don't know why...

After we figured out that I was mistaken the name I told him that if i would ever find a turtle in our yard I would keep it. Yesterday my husband left for a week for work and I find a turtle!

I sent him an email telling him I found a frog with the pictures of the turtle... I guess I will never learn. :whistle:

:lol:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is 3 links with some good information about box turtles and what you can expect. Younger ones are apparently omnivorous, but become strictly plant eaters as they mature so the fact Einstein ate dog food must mean he is still fairly young:-).

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/inhsreports/nov-dec96/turtle.html

http://www.twingroves.district96.k12.il.us.../BoxTurtle.html

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/avoidbox.html

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Great name for him!!.. BTW they're known to dig so most likely dug a hole under the fence some where.. I had 2 box turtles when I was younger and I kept them in the back garden in a little fence my dad built for me and one morning the 1 was missing.. hole under the fence!

also I've heard of ppl putting paint or nail polish on their shell so u can see if he sticks around... I don't recommend it because its messing with nature and with they're camouflage but a little spot of green or something on the bottom of his shell wouldn't hurt.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!