sarahaziz

- Pregnacy -

149 posts in this topic

I definitly don't want a baby carrier...I don't want to get the baby used to being held all the time.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I definitly don't want a baby carrier...I don't want to get the baby used to being held all the time.

I used to say that too but a colicky baby will make you do things that you NEVER before thought you would do! I mean she would cry nonstop save a few hours of sleep unless she was in that sling. It was very therapeutic for her.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

I used to say that too but a colicky baby will make you do things that you NEVER before thought you would do! I mean she would cry nonstop save a few hours of sleep unless she was in that sling. It was very therapeutic for her.

Yeah I've heard this from many people but arabs are very anti-holding, lol. I'm getting lectures now about not holding the baby too much and my mom is going to take care of her when I go back to work so if she gets used to be held I will never hear teh end of it.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Timeline

Yeah I've heard this from many people but arabs are very anti-holding, lol. I'm getting lectures now about not holding the baby too much and my mom is going to take care of her when I go back to work so if she gets used to be held I will never hear teh end of it.

I think this depends on where you are from. The babies I saw in my husbands family never got put down. In fact if their parents were not holding them, a sibling , a cousin.... someone was always walking around with them on their hip. Strangers get into the act too. You tell your baby no candy,,, then they start crying then out of no where a dozen guys say BON BON and give your kid a bon bon then scowl at you if you say no... I saw some spoiled little kids over in Algeria.. including my little one who frankly became a BON BON maniac over there. She also got used to getting carried around, kissed and fussed over.

I never used a baby sling. I bought a baby carrier (and its still in the other room) but just never used it. I would cart the kid around in one of those infant carrier and everywhere I stopped , take it out and hold her, face foward so she could check out the action in the room

I think swings are great and little bouncers so they can sit in the middle of all the action

But I will admit , I do have a friend of mine with a small child under 2 who she holds TOO MUCH and he is unbearable because he cannot sit in a play pen or in a swing or in a playpen because hes never put down

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

When I had my son years ago my grandmother was really big on the 'you're holding him too much' thing. and my mother in law started it when she was here and I first had my daughter. I have read a number of studies that indicate it is pretty much impossible to spoil a baby less than 6 months old. During those early months lots of holding and cuddling actually helps the baby feel secure and safe and to know that when he/she cries or has a problem that someone will help. In the long run it can actually lead to more independent and happier toddlers and children. I hold my baby whenever she or I want to and now that she is getting older she doesnt want to be held as much. she wants to explore and experiment and work on crawling, etc. if she gets fussy usually she just wants to know that I am around, she wants me to be in eyerange. If she is especially clingy for a day or two its for a reason, most recently when she was getting her teeth. we had to hold her all the time for a few days because she was miserable and didnt understand why and wanted some comfort. but now she is back to her growing independent little self, as she should be. I guess if she was 2 and couldnt deal with being put down that would be a problem but so far I dont think we are on that path. and at the end of the day, she is only going to be this small for such a short time. when else in her life am I going to be able to totally solve her problems and make everything all right for her just by picking her up and giving her a cuddle? so why not?

as for the sling, I had one too and I hated it, we could never find a way for it to be comfortable for both baby and wearer.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

My mom got onto my elder brother when we baby sat my cousin - she said holding babies too much will give the mother a hard time bc she can't do anything the baby won't stop crying until she holds the baby. She won't be able to do her day to day daily work. She later admitted she would let him (my bro) cry in his crib so he would get used to not being held or being spoiled! :angry: I can't let a baby cry I'm weak in that.

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

That's exactly what I'm saying, babies aren't like that forever you're gonna miss these days when they cry to be with you when theyre are older - only their spouse can make everything in the world better for them!! Enjoy motherhood!! money/work/cleaning/cooking isn't anything it comes and goes, age doesn't it goes and goes and goes like memories

Edited by sarahaziz

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I think the key is to not use it constantly. My kids werent dependent on anything thank G-d and I think that is because I didnt do anything too much. I used the bjorn maybe once a day and for a reason like i needed to get something done, or at the supermarket. there is a certain age where its easier to but them i the bjorn than to put them in the cart at the supermarket.

My MIL grew up in tunisia and is the same way with the dont hold the baby too much "not too much in hands" but meanwhile she wont put the babies down for a second, hypocrite! she says "not too much in hands" when the baby is in someone hands besides hers! meanwhile my american mother hates lifting the baby, at least now that he is heavy.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

sara, i have to agree with u 100% .....theres a HUGE difference between holding a 6 month old too much and a 1.5 year old...small babies love to snuggle...Enjoy it while u can...I know I am...

I will say...the baby carrier...not interested to have one, never was...zaid loves his swing, bouncer, etc, that keeps him entertained while i have stuff to do

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

jenn...dont feel bad, i got them when i hit puberty...Some I think are just subseptable (sp) to them...I got them extremely bad on my tummy after 37 weeks...they are fading alot, and I believe most will go away, but, i expected them...My mom got them super bad...oh well, ill never wear a 2 piece again...DARN...lol...I never wore a two piece to begin with...

Gabi, I see you down there....hows butterball?

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
OMG!! my aunt told me the exact same thing about bananas it was printed in a french newsbaper if you eat bananas you are most likely to produce for a boy i can't believe tht it's crazy but I will do it anyways when the time comes bc i can't handle a girl !!

:lol:

I think you'll find this reading interesting Sex of baby

The moment my mom found out she was pregnant with me, she started "eating for 2"...(like, mom, a 1 inch tall unborn baby doesn't need a 10 pound steak, fries and a shake!). Those pounds were the hardest too loose, so I hear. I hope I can behave and watch my weight when my time comes :dance:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

watching your weight when pregnant sounds a lot easier than it is, I dont think anything compares to pregnancy hunger. it can lead directly to panic in no time flat. and panic can lead you to the closest drive thru for the largest value meal. you have to plan ahead and have a lot of healthy snacks close at hand.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
watching your weight when pregnant sounds a lot easier than it is, I dont think anything compares to pregnancy hunger. it can lead directly to panic in no time flat. and panic can lead you to the closest drive thru for the largest value meal. you have to plan ahead and have a lot of healthy snacks close at hand.

amen to that sista friend I had NO willpower when I was preggo!!!

When I had my son years ago my grandmother was really big on the 'you're holding him too much' thing. and my mother in law started it when she was here and I first had my daughter. I have read a number of studies that indicate it is pretty much impossible to spoil a baby less than 6 months old. During those early months lots of holding and cuddling actually helps the baby feel secure and safe and to know that when he/she cries or has a problem that someone will help. In the long run it can actually lead to more independent and happier toddlers and children. I hold my baby whenever she or I want to and now that she is getting older she doesnt want to be held as much. she wants to explore and experiment and work on crawling, etc. if she gets fussy usually she just wants to know that I am around, she wants me to be in eyerange. If she is especially clingy for a day or two its for a reason, most recently when she was getting her teeth. we had to hold her all the time for a few days because she was miserable and didnt understand why and wanted some comfort. but now she is back to her growing independent little self, as she should be. I guess if she was 2 and couldnt deal with being put down that would be a problem but so far I dont think we are on that path. and at the end of the day, she is only going to be this small for such a short time. when else in her life am I going to be able to totally solve her problems and make everything all right for her just by picking her up and giving her a cuddle? so why not?

as for the sling, I had one too and I hated it, we could never find a way for it to be comfortable for both baby and wearer.

The way I see it, she was inside me for 9 months all safe and secure and now she was out in this big ole world and she needed the extra security of smelling my breath, feeling my skin, hearing my heartbeat.

Now...........at 11 and 12, neither one of me will let me snuggle them anymore. I'm lucky if I get a kiss goodnight! :crying:

Edited by bridget

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.