Beth/ Paris Heart

Gay marriages in Calif.

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
I've never thought of it till I saw it on the news today.

But if they can marry in California, why cant they apply at USCIS for K1 petitions and etc????? The processing system already does not make sence, but who knows what will happen.

I guess I can tell you again....The US govt DOES NOT recognize same sex marriages for immigration purposes. The Defense of Marriage Act (A federal law binding upon the USCIS), defines marriage as only between a man and a woman.,

The moment California legalises gay marriage then the homosexuals will be able to build a case on grounds of discrimination for the overturning of federal law regulations in this instance .... there will definately be issues in this arena.

It only takes one Cali ** to meet a Euro ** (where gay marriage is legal in a few countries) and CSC are going to have their hands full of 'shirtlifting' petitions ..... however, their petition packets will probably very well thought out and colorful.

I wonder if they will have to discuss how they met etc at their interviews??? .... was it in a park?? ..... on a ** website ??? or was it in a gentlemans public bathroom ??

Haha...met in a steam bath in san francisco..

It wouldnt surprize me one bit that some activist group will take it into the federal court system with the intent of having the DOMA law declared unconstitutional...wont surprize me either if they are successful.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thursday's ruling doesn't affect federal tax, immigration, social service and other benefits. So they still cannot file joint federal tax returns, etc. They were shooting for equality in rights and benefits from marriage but that won't really happen unless it's changed on a federal level.

I-130

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate : Sydney, Australia

Marriage : 2007-05-15

I-130 Sent : 2008-04-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-05-05

US Entry : 2007-11-13

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Port of Entry : Los Angeles

POE Date : 2007-11-13

Adjustment of Status:

CIS Office : Chula Vista CA

Date Filed : 2008-04-28

NOA Date : 2008-05-05

Bio. Appt. : 2008-05-22

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Employment Authorization Document:

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

2008-07-03 EAD Card Production Ordered

Touched 7/4/08

Thursday's ruling doesn't affect federal tax, immigration, social service and other benefits. So they still cannot file joint federal tax returns, etc. They were shooting for equality in rights and benefits from marriage but that won't really happen unless it's changed on a federal level.

Indeed.

But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that someone will have the balls to confront DOMA on a federal level.

Let's hope that in fifty years, such discriminatory practices against homosexuals will be considered as archaic as the laws forbidding interracial marriage.

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Indeed.

But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that someone will have the balls to confront DOMA on a federal level.

Let's hope that in fifty years, such discriminatory practices against homosexuals will be considered as archaic as the laws forbidding interracial marriage.

Yeah, how bout let's not.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Oh..... why waste time and blame others people because of their gender, marriage or partnership ...........

I hope the authority is going to do an investigation after how serious the relation is.... In some other countries is not an application for resident permit denied because of homosexual partnership.

I believed this site was (modern at 2008) to share each other help and support in visa questions not condemn. Good luck to all of you who love each other and apply for visa because you wish to live with your partner!

Oh..... why waste time and blame others people because of their gender, marriage or partnership ...........

I hope the authority is going to do an investigation after how serious the relation is.... In some other countries is not an application for resident permit denied because of homosexual partnership.

I believed this site was (modern at 2008) to share each other help and support in visa questions not condemn. Good luck to all of you who love each other and apply for visa because you wish to live with your partner!

Well said. I think there enough hate and derision spewed in this world for me not to want to add to it. If two consenting adults love each other and want to make that relationship permanent, why shouldn't they be allowed? And to answer the question...yes, I think they should be put through the same scrutiny as hetero couples go through in this process.

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Well said. I think there enough hate and derision spewed in this world for me not to want to add to it. If two consenting adults love each other and want to make that relationship permanent, why shouldn't they be allowed? And to answer the question...yes, I think they should be put through the same scrutiny as hetero couples go through in this process.

Unfortunatley on any site in 2008 its hard not to condemn, its normal in todays society. There is plenty of that on this site alone. Fast approvals in 16 days, poor girl got condemned for her good news. K3 & CR-1 filers condemn VSC for processing only K1 filers in as little as 11 days, some filed in Jan. and Feb. and already have visas in hand, while the married filers are left in the cold waiting from as ealy as Sept.

All I can say is , If it happens, they should go thru same grueling process as we do, for some its a breeze, others it is not.

We all make our choices in life, and we make our own paths in life, all should be treated the same regardless of sexual preference.

If they are going to be allowed to file, its going to be interesting to see, and I wish them luck.

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Unfortunatley on any site in 2008 its hard not to condemn, its normal in todays society. There is plenty of that on this site alone. Fast approvals in 16 days, poor girl got condemned for her good news. K3 & CR-1 filers condemn VSC for processing only K1 filers in as little as 11 days, some filed in Jan. and Feb. and already have visas in hand, while the married filers are left in the cold waiting from as ealy as Sept.

All I can say is , If it happens, they should go thru same grueling process as we do, for some its a breeze, others it is not.

We all make our choices in life, and we make our own paths in life, all should be treated the same regardless of sexual preference.

If they are going to be allowed to file, its going to be interesting to see, and I wish them luck.

USCIS is bound to follow the laws of the United States of America. As such, they will summarily deny petitions submitted for same gender fiance(e) or spouse, at this time. There is no need to be judgmental or moralize. Discussions and opinions on what "should be" in this regard, are "off-topic" in this forum. Please take these emotionally charged issues to the "off-topic" forum and hash them out to your heart's content.

A person either believes one way or the other on this subject, so no convincing on this emotional or moral issues is going to occur anyway, just rankor.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

Like it or not guys .... gay marriage is on its way.

The walls have already tumbled in England (as in a lot of other European countries) and now they have full rights as any hetero couple ..... including immigration.

We never really thought it would happen either.

Once the ball starts rolling, you can't stop it.

The gay lobbyists are also very forward thinking and have powerful legal connections (there's tons of gay lawyers out there) .... legalised gay marriage in California is just the beginning.

And tax, inheritance rights etc will be changed sooner than you think.

The 'Pink Pound' (as we call it) or the 'Pink Dollar' in this instance is actually very strong. They are generally richer than us as they tend not to have children, and therefore able to finance a lot of things.

As we all know, if we had the money (and/or powerful connections) we could simply buy our visas and probably get them in 24 hours, instead of all this silly waiting (if you think not, then you are very naiive to all governments and their set up) .... don't think for one minute that money won't buy them what they want ..... money can buy you pretty much everything nowadays.

Once gay marriage is legalised and they've managed to get their tax benefits etc (which they wiil) .....if there is a denial on a California gay petition for K1, K3 or CR1/IR1 .... it will hit the court system quicker than a 'gerbil up a tube'.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Yes, this is OT. But still a good topic for discussion...whether you think its cut and dry or not.

10 or 20 years ago we didn't think we'd be at the point we are now. If there is enough strength in their voices and if they put enough money in the pockets of the right people anything is possible.

Whatever your opinion on the matter, there is no reason to be rude or crass with the replys. It shows only ignorance ...and perhaps a glimmer into ones own personal dilema's. ;) You can easily have an educated opinion without feeling the need to degrade another human being.

There is enough hate in this world.

timeline.jpg

I agree with this whole heartedly. Love is love. As many of us here have discovered you can't always choose who you fall in love with. We ###### and moan about the USCIS having control over our relationships but imagine the door being well and truly closed to you and you SO from the outset. No options, no K1, K3 or CR1, basically if you want to live with the person you love you better go and do it somewhere else. Its hard to believe that we are in the 21st Century and this is still an issue, it makes me sad. I hope that this does get the ball moving. America separated from the church 100's of years ago so its taken a while for this issue to catch up on the grand scheme of things.

I personally look forward to this being challenged federally and hope that same sex couples are awarded the same rights as heterosexual couples in the foreseeable future.

Bex xxx

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

Filed: Timeline
Yes, this is OT. But still a good topic for discussion...whether you think its cut and dry or not.

10 or 20 years ago we didn't think we'd be at the point we are now. If there is enough strength in their voices and if they put enough money in the pockets of the right people anything is possible.

Whatever your opinion on the matter, there is no reason to be rude or crass with the replys. It shows only ignorance ...and perhaps a glimmer into ones own personal dilema's. ;) You can easily have an educated opinion without feeling the need to degrade another human being.

There is enough hate in this world.

I totally agree that this is a good topic of discusion.

Actually, it's not really off topic at all, as it is soon going to affect other petitions going though USCIS .... in the fact there will be more petitions to add to the numbers.

There are probably gay couples already joining this website in preparation.

10 years ago, inter racial marriages were frowned upon and seen as totally unacceptable .... yet as you see on this website, it's very normal nowadays. As in another 10 years, gay couples will also be part of the norm.

Whatever anyones views are on it .... it's happening.

As Kim and Russ say, there's too much hate in the world already .... at least you don't hear about gay people blowing up people and or buildings for their cause ..... if they want to get married because the love bug bit them too, then so be it .... there's plenty of hetero couples that also have sexual practices out there which would be deemed as a little 'different' too .... just look at the politicians and law makers in England.

You cannot choose who you fall in love with .... unless of course, you're cold and calculating .... true love does not know discrimination.

Indeed.

I absolutely agree.

Here until a few years ago, same sex marriages were not possible, now they are. Personally I am glad the law has changed on this. I never understood why two people who love eachother wouldn't be able to marry simply because they aren't of a different sex. I don't really get the whole "marriage is reserved for man and woman" and "it's not natural" remarks either. If we only look at what is "natural", then why are most of us on birth control?

Anyway, interesting question, Paris. Maybe in a few years (or decades...), after a few more states have followed California's common sense example, this will all be an archaic debate, as Hannah said. Like letting women work in certain professions or letting them vote. Didn't change that long ago either.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

In Australia they have partner visas. They recognize same sex relationships as well as common law the same as spouses. I believe there are other countries that do that as well.

Throughout the years there have been many things that were banned and now we look back on it as ludicrous. Women and the vote, interracial marriage, think of how many professions women weren't allowed to work in or study, segregation, etc.

This is just another demographic of people looking for equality. I can't really find fault with that.

I-130

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate : Sydney, Australia

Marriage : 2007-05-15

I-130 Sent : 2008-04-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-05-05

US Entry : 2007-11-13

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Port of Entry : Los Angeles

POE Date : 2007-11-13

Adjustment of Status:

CIS Office : Chula Vista CA

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Employment Authorization Document:

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

2008-07-03 EAD Card Production Ordered

Touched 7/4/08

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
In Australia they have partner visas. They recognize same sex relationships as well as common law the same as spouses. I believe there are other countries that do that as well.

Throughout the years there have been many things that were banned and now we look back on it as ludicrous. Women and the vote, interracial marriage, think of how many professions women weren't allowed to work in or study, segregation, etc.

This is just another demographic of people looking for equality. I can't really find fault with that.

Some changes are good and some changes are not. Which is which is a matter of opinion but has nothing to do with visas. I doubt we'll see any noticeable impact on the visa process anytime soon, particularly if California passes a Constitutional Amendment making the recent ruling moot.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.