w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

During hurricane evacuation, Border Patrol to check immigration status of evacuees

61 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Subject matter experts make mistakes all the time. Surgeons screw up and people die. It happens. All I'm saying is, if a call must be made, I'd rather have the SME do it than someone else.

ETA: I still maintain that during an evac is not the right time to do it.

Agreed.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
Subject matter experts make mistakes all the time. Surgeons screw up and people die. It happens. All I'm saying is, if a call must be made, I'd rather have the SME do it than someone else.

Agreed.

Easy to check ID ... what idiot would leave home without taking ID if they were worried the home might be compromised ... especially given the amount of warning about hurricane arrivals. And ... checking ID prior to boarding people is a good safety measure to record who was on what mode of transportation to which delivery point in the event people become separated ... or should extended family members wish to locate other family members ....

Timeline

Agreed.

Easy to check ID ... what idiot would leave home without taking ID if they were worried the home might be compromised ... especially given the amount of warning about hurricane arrivals. And ... checking ID prior to boarding people is a good safety measure to record who was on what mode of transportation to which delivery point in the event people become separated ... or should extended family members wish to locate other family members ....

What ID would this be as they have none in that time frame that shows they are here in status? Talking about legals, mind you, that are in between processing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Agreed.

What ID would this be as they have none in that time frame that shows they are here in status? Talking about legals, mind you, that are in between processing.

a passport isn't an id? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Agreed.

and there is of course, no copies of prior approved or submitted paperwork available or NOAs to support the existing documents in process etc because the hurricane has already blown them away ...

Filed: Timeline

Agreed.

and there is of course, no copies of prior approved or submitted paperwork available or NOAs to support the existing documents in process etc because the hurricane has already blown them away ...

See post #31. And remember, proof that you've requested a document granting you status does not mean you have status.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

Agreed.

a passport isn't an id? :unsure:

With an expired visa, as stated previously.

Agreed.

Well that is actually slightly funny. Unless, of course, its your SO having to show proof, right? :lol:

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

It's really kind of rediculous. As if just tossing people out of the country solves the problem. Who do you think border town contractors are going to look to hire to rebuild towns after a possible hurricane?

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The other big issue here not even mentioned is how many US citizens - born in the US - have proof of their citizenship available? Many US citizens do not have passports and many may not be able to put their hands on their birth certificates as such a time regardless. Some even keep valuable documents in their safety deposit boxes, so for those who for one reason or another don't have proof that they are US citizens, I guess they will get rounded up and held in these deportation centers along with other individuals who cannot prove at that moment that they are legally allowed to be in the US. In an emergency you don't always think of bringing documentation like birth and marriage certificates with you - you EXPECT to be returning home after the emergency - you bring what is absolutely necessary for you and your family for the next few days.

I agree with those who say that during a hurricane is an appalling time to be considering if the person you are rescuing is legally or illegally in the country. The potential for abuse is incredible - and unless the US is going to issue every single legal resident with some sort of infalliable identity card that is mandatory to carry at all time, they will have no valid way to separate those who are fleeing without thinking they have to prove their immigration status (especially native born Americans) and those who don't have such identification.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Who do you think border town contractors are going to look to hire to rebuild towns after a possible hurricane?

Starts with A and end with s.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Who do you think border town contractors are going to look to hire to rebuild towns after a possible hurricane?

Starts with A and end with s.

Australians?

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.