rika60607

Filing I-90 from abroad - please advice

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello VJ,

here I am having a problem again - my GC did not show up in the mail and now I have to file I-90.

I-90 however states (in the signature section) that I must file this application while in the US... and then refers to obscure "penalties" section.

Well, I am abroad and I will go back to US in another 2 months.

All this to say - anybody has experience with filing I-90 recently? How long did you have to wait for response from USCIS?

Did then USCIS re-mail you the GC or did you have to go and pick it up?

Is it correct that I am not allowed to file now (from abroad)? WHY??!!!

Thanks to everyone who finds the time to respond!

(F)

Rika

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Timeline
Hello VJ,

here I am having a problem again - my GC did not show up in the mail and now I have to file I-90.

I-90 however states (in the signature section) that I must file this application while in the US... and then refers to obscure "penalties" section.

Well, I am abroad and I will go back to US in another 2 months.

All this to say - anybody has experience with filing I-90 recently? How long did you have to wait for response from USCIS?

Did then USCIS re-mail you the GC or did you have to go and pick it up?

Is it correct that I am not allowed to file now (from abroad)? WHY??!!!

Thanks to everyone who finds the time to respond!

(F)

Rika

You should have a I-551 stamp in your passport so you will be able to re-enter the USA. Once you are back you can file the I-90 and start the long wait to get a new Greencard, it can take up to 6 months to get and of course you will need to have fresh Biometrics done.

Yes it is correct that you can not file the I-90 while you are outside the US.

Jon

Timeline

Oh I see,

administrative hell awaiting :angry:

Why do I need fresh biometrics? In fact, I-90 instructions state that I do not need to pay biometrics fee if I apply because my original GC never showed up in the mail. I assumed, no fee = no biometrics?

Also, 2 months before I re-enter US + 6 months waiting after filing for I-90 = 13 months after I entered the US and my I-551 stamp will become invalid.

So, where does that leave me? Do I have to have an appointment at the local office to get another I-551 stamp/extension?

Please help!

Rika

You should have a I-551 stamp in your passport so you will be able to re-enter the USA. Once you are back you can file the I-90 and start the long wait to get a new Greencard, it can take up to 6 months to get and of course you will need to have fresh Biometrics done.

Jon

CR-1 Timeline

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Timeline

In fact, somebody did file I-90 from abroad... but it was two years ago, things may have changed.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37580

Anybody knows if USCIS runs any checks in case of I-90 filing to see where the Alien currently is?

CR-1 Timeline

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Filed: Timeline
Oh I see,

administrative hell awaiting :angry:

Why do I need fresh biometrics? In fact, I-90 instructions state that I do not need to pay biometrics fee if I apply because my original GC never showed up in the mail. I assumed, no fee = no biometrics?

Also, 2 months before I re-enter US + 6 months waiting after filing for I-90 = 13 months after I entered the US and my I-551 stamp will become invalid.

So, where does that leave me? Do I have to have an appointment at the local office to get another I-551 stamp/extension?

Please help!

Rika

Jon

Do you know if the Greencard was issued by USCIS? if it was has it been returned to USCIS as undeliverable? if it has been issued but has never been returned to USCIS then it is classed as lost and you will have to pay to get a new one and that will include Biometrics.

If your I-551 stamp expires while you are waiting for a new card to arrive then all you need to do is take your NOA1 for the I-90 to your local USCIS office on an infopass appointment and they will give you a new stamp in your passport.

Timeline

Okay, I see!

(Damn USCIS! :( So keen on covering up for their own mistakes! I know that USPS works just fine in my area, I don't think they screwed up)

Thank you, Jon!

No, I don't know yet if GC was returned to the USCIS - I'll have to call husband and find out.

I only know that they requested that I file I-90.

Rika

CR-1 Timeline

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.