honeyblonde

New recipe thread

30 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

When I needed some dinner ideas last time, you really pulled through. the kabobs and the spinich pies and the cucumber sauce plus the salad...it was all so good and everyone loved it but I am going to vent a little anyway. I was planning that day to serve Lasanga and garlic bread with a ceasar salad when it was just us & my family but then we invited his cousin and H says we have to have arab food that all he eats. So I put some effort into planning what all would recognise and enjoy and it was great.

Would you believe that the cousin didn't show, or call me. I changed the menu for him and he wasnt there. The next day he said that it was just the timing, he is used to an earlier dinner and 730-8pm was too late. Whatever it was fine.

A few days ago, I had some beef pieces thawed and marinating, I was just going to make some rice and zucchinis, not a big deal but before starting to cook we were talking on the phone with the cousin and I invited him to dinner. He said he would come, but he wants maglooba for dinner. I told H that I was planning something else but it would be good and everything went bad from that point. He said the cuz needs arab food. I offered to use his spices. He said the beef isn't killed right, he won't eat it....so I made the maglooba, but of course it wasn't good and I didn't have cauliflour in it....We had a very bad day, but whatever its over.

THE NEXT DAY, we were not home so H and I were looking for lunch out and he said whatever I wanted was fine...I chose Chippotles(delicious mexican fast food if your not familiar). I go to order and you know what he says??? "I 'd like steak fajita burrito, and ask for extrra corn and hot sauce. I like both salsas." I said "How do you know what they have?" "Ali brought me here for lunch a few times" (the same cousin!)

Its like I'm trapped in a really bad joke sometimes!!!!

Done venting....I could use a good dinner idea tho. What is everybody else cooking today?

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: Timeline

Dawn, I think I would scream if I were you! I wouldn't cook Arab food for any of them again! That cousin sounds like such a jerk!

We're just having leftovers (still) of the recipe I posted here at the beginning (I think we'll finish them in a few minutes) and then leftover salad for dinner. No great ideas to offer today, not that I ever cook specifically Arab anyway.

I'm sure you're missing Catherine about right now - she always had great recipes.

Today for lunch I made a chicken dish. (it has no name yet) Just something I like making when I don't feel like puttin a lot into it. It basically consists of washing the chicken in lemon juice and boiling it with all the spices.. salt, pepper, some stuff from Jordan that I have no clue what it is, poultry seasoning, onions, peppers.

Then drain it and put in a casserole dish with cream of chicken (or cream of mushroom soup) and bake at 350 for around 20 to 30 minutes until the soup has formed a bit.

A few more seasonings , to taste, and viola.. done.

Before the adkins diet, I would make rice to go with it and its oh so yummy that way. Even my husband will eat it (and that does say something) :lol:

(F) amal (F)

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline

Forgive me for linking an archived thread but this thread made me want to see an old old thread like it where someone (KE east coast) posted pics of all kinds of m-e food. Its really old but I thought maybe somone can tell me what is in this mixed salad in one of the pics. It looks great but I can't identify the ingredients. ...Oh and the thread reminds me that someone has since had a baby and now I'm wondering how she's doing. I love old threads!!!

Later

oops, almost forgot the thread

http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.p...opic=45692&st=0

Edited by dawnnhatem

Hatem & Dawn

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.php?showtopic=10434

Dawn I have been searching for you. Is this what your looking for? It is off the old site. I see you put a link into the post now. I could not delete my post so I corrected it.

Mary

Edited by mianishqsrose

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Thanks for the links! I just opened Word and started copying and pasting and saving. Then I realized the second link was 17 pages! Had to save it to favorites to finish later.

Here's a recipe I made up a few weeks ago that we loved.

Liz’s Chicken Pot Pie

Preparation Time: All Day

Water

3 Large Chicken Breast Halves

½ Pound Baby Carrots, Sliced

16 Ounce Bag Frozen Baby Peas

2 Stalks Celery, Sliced

1 Onion, Chopped

2 Tablespoons Chopped Garlic (I use the already prepared kind in the jar)

2 Tablespoons Dried Sage

2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley

1 Tablespoon Ground Thyme

2 Bay Leaves

5 Chicken Bouillon Cubes

1 Packet Colorant (this is artificial saffron from Morocco)

2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup

16 Ounce Package Phyllo Dough

½ Pound Butter

Fill Dutch oven with water, leaving just enough room to add ingredient to pot. Put in chicken and remaining ingredients except soup, dough and butter. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.

Simmer uncovered over medium low heat for several hours until liquid is reduced by half. Increase heat to medium high and boil off remaining liquid, stirring frequently to prevent burning.

Layer ½ of Phyllo dough in 13” x 9” x 2” baking dish, brushing with melted butter between layers. Bake for about 10 minutes in preheated 400° F oven, until top is browned.

Stir soup into the thick filling in the pot. Ladle filling over Phyllo dough. Cover with remaining Phyllo dough, brushing layers with melted butter. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Thanks for the links! I just opened Word and started copying and pasting and saving. Then I realized the second link was 17 pages! Had to save it to favorites to finish later.

Here's a recipe I made up a few weeks ago that we loved.

Liz’s Chicken Pot Pie

Preparation Time: All Day

Liz, I love pot pie...after looking at the prep time, I think I will go back to Marie Calendars. :lol:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Dawn, good to see you posting again. I was about to send out the search party for you! I have a suggestion, have the guys cook for you! They will have it like they want it, and all you have to do is clean up.

Jackie

I love that idea. :thumbs: You have been more than gracious in trying to please them let them wait on you for once.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Timeline

Dawn, good to see you posting again. I was about to send out the search party for you! I have a suggestion, have the guys cook for you! They will have it like they want it, and all you have to do is clean up.

Jackie

I love that idea. :thumbs: You have been more than gracious in trying to please them let them wait on you for once.

Mornin Jackie, Mornin Mary!

Hope you are sitting down. H cooks for me (us) all the time. Couple times a week. And he does dishes as often as I do. Seriously, when he cooks he cleans up as he goes usually just like I would, unless his cousin is here then he is more visiting than working but I can't complain about that.

Know what else? Every morning he gets up first to make coffee and brings me a cup before I'm even out of bed. Since he got here, theres only been one morning that I didn't get my first cup brought to me. But that is Hatem....when someone else isnt around. Im sure that if we werent living alone that would be different.

Where have I been???? I just noticed Mary's timeline! Is that true? He's coming this month? Thats unbelievable and I'm so happy for you!!!! You must be just crazy now with excitement. And Jackie...maybe I want a search party. We need to get together soon!

hope everyone is having a nice day!!!

Later

Hatem & Dawn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

OMG what would I do if Youssef got up first in the morning?!?! Die of shock it's true I would. Every morning the alarm is the little man waking up and yelling "Maaaaammmm, maaaam mom, mom, mom....." And every morning I get up and watch Blue's Clues and Max and Ruby with him, check the e-mail and VJ and start breakfast. Youssef decides to roll out about 8-8:15, bathroom, pray, eat breakfast. By this time I've had a shower and so has little dude and we're dressed. Youssef is slowly, slowly eating and getting ready. M,W,F I have class that starts at 9 so we have to get the babe to daycare and Youssef to class and me to class by 9. Let's just say it wears on me. I'm waiting for my day to sleep in and have breakfast made for me......

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

JP, don't be afraid of the recipe taking all day. You don't really work on it that much, just let it simmer all day. It's great to make on a cleaning day and just stop by the stove to stir a lot at the point where it is boiling down.

Dawn, I guess if he's that nice normally he can be forgiven. Abdel is always up about the same time as me - still not letting me take my shower alone yet, but I'm used to it now. He's just a very sharing person. He feeds the cats and makes his morning tea and my water and ice for work while I'm finishing getting ready. I drop him at school and usually get to work by 8:30. On the weekends I cook breakfast for us.

Abdel doesn't cook, but he cleans the kitchen so that's fine with me. Would you guys believe he also scoops the litter boxes? He wears a dust mask, but he does it every day. He also makes sure the herb garden gets watered every day and makes the bed.

Ok just realized I was off track sorry! Back to recipes. Here's one for those of you with litttle ones.

MICKEY MOUSE PANCAKES

Source: THE PANCAKE HANDBOOK

2 CUPS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR

2 TABLESPOONS SUGAR

2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER

1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA

1/2 TEASPOON SALT

2 EGGS

2 CUPS BUTTERMILK

1/2 CUP MILK

1/4 CUP MARGARINE, MELTED

RAISINS

STRAWBERRY SLICES

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs, buttermilk, milk, and melted butter. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once, stirring just to blend; the batter should be slightly lumpy. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or heavy skillet over medium-high heat (375 degrees F on an electric griddle). Pour enough batter onto the griddle to make a normal-sized pancake; immediately ladle 2 more tiny circles of batter so that they attach themselves to the first pancake to make mouse ears. When bubbles cover the surface of the pancakes and their undersides are lightly browned turn them over and cook about 2 minutes more, until the other sides are brown. Before serving, place raisins on each pancake to make eyes & a nose, & a strawberry slice for a mouth

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Kefta with tomatoes and eggs ~ aka ~ Kefta Mkaourara

Ingredients

For Kefta

* 1 pound finely ground beef

* 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)

* Salt, pepper, paprika, cumin to taste

For Sauce

* 1 medium onions, grated

* 1-2 pounds tomatoes, blended (remove seeds)

* 2 garlic cloves, pressed (or blended with tomatoes)

* 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped

* Salt and pepper, to taste

* 1/2 teaspoon paprikia

* 1 tablespoon olive oil

* water as needed

* 3-4 eggs

1. Combine the kefta ingredients and roll into bite-size balls.

2. Put all the sauce ingredients, except eggs, in a pan. Add water as needed. Cook 30 minutes.

3. Add kefta to sauce. Cover pan. Cook until kefta is done (about 10 minutes if kefta balls are small)

4. Beat the eggs and then add them to the sauce. Cook until eggs are done and serve hot with bread!

*Note, some people cook the kefta in a frying pan and then add it to the sauce.

Rebecca,

We love this dish, thanks for sharing! I have to agree, this is nothing close to fast food. It takes me a good while to get all the chopping done too. :yes:

Moroccan Chicken Salad (adapted from Great Good Food) ~ obviously not truly Moroccan

A nice summer recipe

* 1.5 pounds chicken breasts

* 1 red onion, sliced thin

* 1 red bell pepper, slice thin

* 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives

Dressing

* 2-3 cloves garlic, pressed

* 3/4 tbs cumin (or to taste)

* 1 tsp paprika

* dash of cayenne

* salt and pepper to taste

* fresh cilantro and flat parsley, about half a cup of each, chopped fine

* 1/4 cup lemon juice

* 1/3 white balsamic (or red wine) vinegar

* 1 cup chicken broth

1. Roast or poach the chicken. Shred it when cool.

2. Combine chicken, pepper and onion.

3. Mix the ingredients for the dressing and toss on the salad.

4. Garnish with olives.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.