JenT

How do you split your finances?

64 posts in this topic

We have a joint checking, joint savings accounts and also we each have a personal checking account. All our money goes into the joint account but we take a certain amount of money out per month (same amount for both, although I've heard of couples who do this proportional to each person's income) to put in our personal account and can use it on anything we want, which includes things we buy for each other. Also, when one of us does freelance work (he typesets music, I translate and interpret) or sells something we owned before the marriage (he sold his cornet last week), that money belongs to the one who did the work or owned the thing, and any money we get as gifts separately belongs to the person who got the gift.

We budget really well and in the end we know what the other is spending, but this way we don't feel bad spending "our" money on something that just one of us wants (like my mp3 player or his Palm), and the other person doesn't know in advance when a gift has been bought.

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be joint everything! I am sharing my life, my soul, my bed...why the hell not my money? Same goes for him too, obviously!

I don't understand the concept of separate when you're married. I know it works for some ppl, but we personally can't understand it *shrug*

good point sister lisa.......and there is not this is yours and this is mine.....

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

i completly agree with you Lisa.....joint everything!

Chrissy UK (Yorkshire) John USA (Minnesota)

20/July/05 Married in Las Vegas!!

AOS approved April 12th 2006!!

4/01/08 mailed I-751 to Nebraska

4/3/08 package arrives at Nebraska

4/11/08 check cashed

4/14/08 recieved NOA extension letter

4/26/08 recieved biometrics appointment letter plus it looks like our case has been forwarded to California!

5/02/08 Biometrics scheduled

5/02/08 Biometrics completed in 10 mins!

Woo Hoo....8/28/08 Recieved 10yr Greencard in mail, no approved email!! We are done!!!

.png

.png

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi Jen

As a lesson from my mother I now have a separate savings account for "just in case" anything that can happen in life, but other then that we have a joint checking that we use for only paying rent, bills and food. Of course hubby also has a separate savings of his own.

I need to feel that I have a bit of control still of what I earn and need to be sure that I will be ok if anything (God forbits) should happen to my husband :(

1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif avatar_ani_050.gifSOON TO BE HAPPILY DIVORCED! avatar_ani_052.gif 1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

We have a joint account because he used to have problems with finances, and I didn't want to constantly chip in to help him pay his bills plus he didn't have a steady job when he followed me to Indiana. We now both have a job and make about the same money so our expenses are split evenly.

It's ok the way it is now, even though I would sort of prefer split accounts because I've seen my parents' fight for years over nothing but joint finances and I really don't feel like replicating those fights in my own marriage. That said, we don't have any joint credit cards or joint loans, but we're jointly trying to get out of debt, and I don't mind sharing whatever money I have with him.

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Timeline

I used to have a customer that practically lived like roomates with her husband. Bills were split 50/50....seperate accts...and the strange thing was...the hubby liked cable, so she felt she shouldn't contribute to the bill...so she didn't, but he didn't like her WATCHING the cable then. Food? The bill was itemized as far as who got what...but most times they went to the store AND DID SEPARATE SHOPPING!

It worked for them, but to me it was just, oh!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I used to have a customer that practically lived like roomates with her husband. Bills were split 50/50....seperate accts...and the strange thing was...the hubby liked cable, so she felt she shouldn't contribute to the bill...so she didn't, but he didn't like her WATCHING the cable then. Food? The bill was itemized as far as who got what...but most times they went to the store AND DID SEPARATE SHOPPING!

This is just strange...*shakes her head*...so it was a "pay for what you eat" kind of thing? And don't you dare eat what I bought? And don't dare watch the cable that I pay for? What kind of "marriage" is that?

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

This is just strange...*shakes her head*...so it was a "pay for what you eat" kind of thing? And don't you dare eat what I bought? And don't dare watch the cable that I pay for? What kind of "marriage" is that?

Yup.

Wierd, huh?

I used to make fun of her to her face (she never caught on tho) by asking her questions 'so do you have post-its on the food? To which she would SERIOUSLY answer...nope...the things we both like, we either take turns buying it, or if he eats it more than I do, he buys his own! :o

For shizzle I am not lying! :no:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hmmm.... let's see...

What's hers is hers, and what's mine is hers, and if I need money, I go to her!!! :lol:

That's pretty much it! :D

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Yup.

Wierd, huh?

I used to make fun of her to her face (she never caught on tho) by asking her questions 'so do you have post-its on the food? To which she would SERIOUSLY answer...nope...the things we both like, we either take turns buying it, or if he eats it more than I do, he buys his own! :o

For shizzle I am not lying! :no:

*shakes her head again* unbelieveable...."if he eats more than i do...." *shakes head again*

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

That's no marriage!!! That's ridiculous!!! :no:

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Hi all,

I prompted the poll about pre-nuptial agreements and as I read the responses of those who chose to reply (thank you for sharing your thoughts), I wondered about another question, better served for discussion than a poll, I think...

During my first marriage, finances were shared equally.. joint bank accounts, credit cards, etc.. even though income was split more like 60-40. Divorce was relatively amicable with a 50-50 split of assets, joint custody of the kids. The only contention was retirement and he threatened to keep me from closing the deal on the house I wanted if I pursued half of his, so I relented.

Now... I'm wondering how people who have been divorced, or are older and have established lives/kids/etc, have decided to manage their finances... everything jointly, one joint account for bills with separate accounts for personal expenses, other options?

I'm of the opinion that marriage is a partnership, not a business arrangement, but I don't have experience in any other method other than 'joint everything'. I'm interested in hearing pros/cons of how arrangements have worked for people.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Jen

half of HIS retirement? that would be a crime.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

Hi all,

I prompted the poll about pre-nuptial agreements and as I read the responses of those who chose to reply (thank you for sharing your thoughts), I wondered about another question, better served for discussion than a poll, I think...

During my first marriage, finances were shared equally.. joint bank accounts, credit cards, etc.. even though income was split more like 60-40. Divorce was relatively amicable with a 50-50 split of assets, joint custody of the kids. The only contention was retirement and he threatened to keep me from closing the deal on the house I wanted if I pursued half of his, so I relented.

Now... I'm wondering how people who have been divorced, or are older and have established lives/kids/etc, have decided to manage their finances... everything jointly, one joint account for bills with separate accounts for personal expenses, other options?

I'm of the opinion that marriage is a partnership, not a business arrangement, but I don't have experience in any other method other than 'joint everything'. I'm interested in hearing pros/cons of how arrangements have worked for people.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Jen

:yes: you got that right Rich!!!

Military guys get screwed all the time becaue of that. They're old ladies wait until just before they retire, and get a divorce, and get to walk out with half of their retirement!!!

That's why the vows were written to read "till DEATH do you part". If it ain't natural, then make it unatural! :D

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Hi all,

Ideas? Thoughts?

Jen

Military guys get screwed all the time becaue of that. They're old ladies wait until just before they retire, and get a divorce, and get to walk out with half of their retirement!!!

That's why the vows were written to read "till DEATH do you part". If it ain't natural, then make it unatural! :D

My friend's bf has an exwife who gets half his pension. Forever. Doesn't matter if she gets married or not.

Then again, doesn't welshie and her man have this very same issue with his biotch of an ex?

Hi all,

Ideas? Thoughts?

Jen

My friend's bf has an exwife who gets half his pension. Forever. Doesn't matter if she gets married or not.

Then again, doesn't welshie and her man have this very same issue with his biotch of an ex?

:yes::(