w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Senator Obama on Fox News Sunday (April 27 2008)

128 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
With the exception of unionized large metro areas, the qualifications to teach are relatively low. What this means is that any undergrad can aquire a teaching position in most places in this country. When I was in Va the requirement to teach middle school was undergrad degree and two months of a "teaching Certification" course.

I've read this far in this thread before I completely lost my cool.

Kaydee, my son is in university as we speak carrying 20 hours a semester as a music education major. He's coming off his second dean's list semester. He is in rehearsal in the evenings; rehearsal on the weekends; in the fall he attended class from 8am to 7pm.

For someone who earns 100K plus a year, you sure are stupid.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the exception of unionized large metro areas, the qualifications to teach are relatively low. What this means is that any undergrad can aquire a teaching position in most places in this country. When I was in Va the requirement to teach middle school was undergrad degree and two months of a "teaching Certification" course.

Kaydee, my son is in university as we speak carrying 20 hours a semester as a music education major. He's coming off his second dean's list semester. He is in rehearsal in the evenings; rehearsal on the weekends; in the fall he attended class from 8am to 7pm.

And your point is what? When I lived in Virginia the only requirement to teach was an undergrad and a "teaching Certificate"......

Research it youself, and my condolences for your son......

miss_me_yet.jpg

And your point is what? When I lived in Virginia the only requirement to teach was an undergrad and a "teaching Certificate"......

#### you.

Filed: Timeline

#### you.

:blink:

#### you.

Okay, so here it is....

It's been ten years since I lived in Va, but one thing hasn't changed, there's no requirement to have credentials other than an undergrad degree....

There's a 3 year provisional teaching license that can be granted to teach if one does not meet criteria for license as long as hired by a school......

Exactly what is it that you’re pissed about? I can’t help it if the teaching field is one that’s saturated and demands low wages.

Perhaps you should forewarn your son as to his earning potential but I’m sure he already knows……

Even in places such as New York city, that's highly unionized teaching positions average in the 50k's, the absolute top is 80k, and they require a Masters in Education.....The national average is 39k.

I fail to see what your indignation is all about? If your son is working his tail off then hopefully his chosen profession fills his need for satisfaction and purpose for he's not going to make a lot of money......

nyc teachers salary

teaching in VA.

more Va. teaching requirements

Frankly, I don't see where your problem is with what I said. If you're seeking a teaching position then you're going to compete with lots of people that have similar credentials and the trend, especially for small districts, is to hire minimally trained people.

That's not my fault dear...........

Edited by kaydee457
miss_me_yet.jpg

My problem with what you said is 'the low bar' you allege with your opinion of 'qualifications' to hire.

For my son to gain a position at a high school earlier in his career rather than later, he works his rear-end off NOW. He stays in school to get his Masters NOW, not later.

That's not a low bar to get a job.

You know what I cannot stand? It's somebody who talks like an authority about something they don't know jack-squat about.

Stick to your chosen profession where you can buffalo your way through that 100K salary. Your former teachers (if they are still alive) will be laughing.

My problem with what you said is 'the low bar' you allege with your opinion of 'qualifications' to hire.

For my son to gain a position at a high school earlier in his career rather than later, he works his rear-end off NOW. He stays in school to get his Masters NOW, not later.

You know what I cannot stand? It's somebody who talks like an authority about something they don't know jack-squat about.

Stick to your chosen profession where you can buffalo your way through that 100K salary. Your former teachers (if they are still alive) will be laughing.

Those are the hiring practices of rural america's school districts.......These days there's no requirement to have a degree in education, or a Masters as in New York, they will let anyone teach, and that opens to the door to everyone with simply an undergrad. That's the "bar" that's been lowered, and as a result there's a flood of applicants for those jobs that drives the salaries lower.....

miss_me_yet.jpg

Those are the hiring practices of rural america's school districts.......These days there's no requirement to have a degree in education, or a Masters as in New York, they will let anyone teach, and that opens to the door to everyone with simply an undergrad. That's the "bar" that's been lowered, and as a result there's a flood of applicants for those jobs that drives the salaries lower.....

And I just told you how someone who has chosen teaching as a profession rises themselves up above the rest to earn more.

And you STILL want to be right with that last argument?

You lost 'right' with me when you insulted my child.

And I just told you how someone who has chosen teaching as a profession rises themselves up above the rest to earn more.

Teachers never make a salary commensurate with the education they have to get and the effort they have to put in. The bennies are good though*. They almost make it worth it.

*if you're fortunate enough to get a public school gig.... many are not.

Edited by VJ Troll

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Teachers never make a salary commensurate with the education they have to get and the effort they have to put in. The bennies are good though*. They almost make it worth it.

My friend is a HS teacher with 2 Bachelors & a Masters. She works her a$$ off & is still underpaid, IMO. (public school)

My friend is a HS teacher with 2 Bachelors & a Masters. She works her a$$ off & is still underpaid, IMO. (public school)

My wife teaches in a pvt school. Also 2 bachelors and working on her masters. Bigtime underpaid. She made more doing data entry as a temp.

Edited by VJ Troll

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

My wife teaches in a pvt school. Also 2 bachelors and working on her masters. Bigtime underpaid. She made more doing data entry as a temp.

Above friend was in private for 8 years, Just went public 2 years ago - in suburban DC (VA) as well.