akdiver

Registration problem

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Currently in Russia. Registered in Kazan the day after arrival. Went to another town a few days latter. Registered within three days.

Local immigration officer is claiming we can't register here, at local person's flat, because:

a). local person didn't invite us.

B). this town is not on the invitation

c). invitation company has to register visa, not some local person

d). I have a tourist visa and this is not a tourist town (i.e. wrong visa type) and I am not 'touristing'

Immigration official of course wants to levy fine. Fine is small, but I don't want to pay because it's pure bullshit.

Now, we KNOW all of this is bullshit - and directly contradicts all information we have received during this process. However, here we are.

Advice claiming we shouldn't have tried to register here is not helpful - so I'll take a pass on that. Looking for more constructive info.

We've printed out the registration law, argued with the official, all to no avail. Official also doesn't seem to care that I registered successfully in Kazan, through a private person and not the invitation company, or that I have a valid registration in Kazan. Official is sticking to the reasoning listed above, no matter what we say or do.

Constructive advice requested (;

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Pay the fine and get on with it. For all I know they can put you in a holding cell until they "figure it out" if you continue to argue with them.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Pay the fine and get on with it. For all I know they can put you in a holding cell until they "figure it out" if you continue to argue with them.

Ditto. What do you expect us to say...get a Russian lawyer? Pay the fine before you get in deeper.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have to parrot the consensus. Pay the fine and move on with your life. You can get into some serious trouble if you don't abide by what the locals say. If you're lucky enough to be done with the cop, you could probably register at a local hotel for a fee. But whatever happens, don't go unregistered otherwise you can be barred from entering Russia again for years (and that's the lightest punishment).

Good luck.

Z

Timeline

Do you have a friend in town with an apartment? Back before we had our own apartment and wife didn't have propiska we had a friend give us her documents and we went to the local (formerly) OVIR office and were able to register without any problem. Perhaps we knew the right person, but they never gave us any trouble about registering my tourist visa. Looks like you got stuck with an A-hole immigration officer that wants to make some money.

Yes, perhaps it is better to just pay a little fine and be done with it. Still it sucks.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline
Do you have a friend in town with an apartment? Back before we had our own apartment and wife didn't have propiska we had a friend give us her documents and we went to the local (formerly) OVIR office and were able to register without any problem. Perhaps we knew the right person, but they never gave us any trouble about registering my tourist visa. Looks like you got stuck with an A-hole immigration officer that wants to make some money.

Yes, perhaps it is better to just pay a little fine and be done with it. Still it sucks.

I don't know when your last trip to Russia was, but I haven't had to deal with OVIR in about a year. These days, at least in my case, registration is always done at either the police station, handled by the issuer of the invitation, or a hotel. I was quite pleased to be rid of OVIR as they always made registration an absolute nightmare since the issuing agency was in Moscow but I was staying in Ivanovo.

Z

Timeline

I don't know when your last trip to Russia was, but I haven't had to deal with OVIR in about a year. These days, at least in my case, registration is always done at either the police station, handled by the issuer of the invitation, or a hotel. I was quite pleased to be rid of OVIR as they always made registration an absolute nightmare since the issuing agency was in Moscow but I was staying in Ivanovo.

Z

October, last year, but since I co-own an apartment I went there and got some kind of temp resident registration. I traveled on a tourist visa also issued on an invitation out of Moscow. I guess since we have come to know the right people at that office they never give us much problem. Since we are not traveling there to stay at a hotel or with someone it gets a little confusing....for me and my wife! I just follow along and sign my name where I am told to.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

I know this frustration and there has to be a good way around it.

Can you claim that because he says you can't register then you can't stay and therefore will be leaving immediately, thus complying with the 72-hour rule, only to stay in place until you actually leave?

If you're not "allowed" to register, and you have up to 72-hours to register, if you do your business and "leave" within that same 72-hours, how can he fine you? You're complying with the law.

In all actuality, I'd go back in there, tell him about your intentions to leave, and have the wife with the U.S. embassy on speed dial on the mobile (at least telling him they're on speed dial) just in case he threatens to "detain" you. You can tell him to go make love with himself and turn and walk out. If it gets heated, just keep walking and keep telling him about his wonderful new assignment in Kamchatka after the U.S. embassy investigates how corruption in his locality is negatively affecting U.S. tourists to Russia and how tourist dollars (and kick-backs) are going to trickel down to a stop after you make the call. If he still persists have the wife push the send button and call while you slam the money down on the table, all the while spewing out your best curseword-filled tirade and walking out shaking your heads, and fists to the sky asking "why we can't follow the law here? Why we must do illegal stuff AND PAY for being illegal? Where is the honesty in this place? Where are the good men?, etc. etc. etc."

Or, like all other things in Russia, just ignore it and it will go away. If it doesn't, get it drunk and talk about the good ol' days.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
I know this frustration and there has to be a good way around it.....I'd go back in there, tell him about your intentions to leave...
Well, it was a she - and a big fat one too.

But in any case, I am happy to announce - CASE CLOSED.

Get this...

Mother in law knows a high-ranking local policemen. Had a chat with him.

Local top cop has a chit-chat with lady in immigration office.

We get a call from immigration office - "Case closed - there is no problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding."

I would love to have been privy to the conversation between the cop and the immigration officer.

Now - back to my visiting...

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline
I know this frustration and there has to be a good way around it.....I'd go back in there, tell him about your intentions to leave...
Well, it was a she - and a big fat one too.

But in any case, I am happy to announce - CASE CLOSED.

Get this...

Mother in law knows a high-ranking local policemen. Had a chat with him.

Local top cop has a chit-chat with lady in immigration office.

We get a call from immigration office - "Case closed - there is no problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding."

I would love to have been privy to the conversation between the cop and the immigration officer.

Now - back to my visiting...

Cheers!

AKDiver

It's good to have friends in high places. :) Just to make sure you stay on the guy's good side, I'd find a way to bring him a bottle of something by way of thanks.

Glad it all worked out,

Z

Definitely would get him a bottle of something. He's now "your guy" in that town. So now when you tell people stories about that little town you can say stuff like, "Yeah, I'll have my guy take care of that." If you get him a nice bottle of something, he'll probably have no problem taking care of future "situations" for you.

Have fun on the rest of your trip. And don't forget to bring back some stereotype-reinforcing stories to share with the VJ Russia forum.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Definitely would get him a bottle of something. He's now "your guy" in that town. So now when you tell people stories about that little town you can say stuff like, "Yeah, I'll have my guy take care of that." If you get him a nice bottle of something, he'll probably have no problem taking care of future "situations" for you.
Well, I asked - mother in law says it isn't necessary...and I don't want to insult the guy.

And don't forget to bring back some stereotype-reinforcing stories to share with the VJ Russia forum.
I'm going to buy some of the amazing t-shirts while I am here.

In related news - mother in law's friend is a teacher - wanted to show me their new school. Ended up being introduced to an English class and was asked to stand up and talk for a while. Gawd! Talk about unprepared and awkward. To make it worse, I am supposed to go back at 9am on Wednesday! One complication after another in this town. (:

As for the immigration stuff - I'm glad that little suka tried to get her bribe or whatever. I out-Russianed the Russian! I would have loved to see the look on her face when the police chief showed up to tell her that he is considering a bribery investigation of her office. That makes it all worth it (:

Cheers!

AKDiver

Edited by akdiver

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Being "Right" in Russia is of no advantage. Last time I went through the "Registration" Process, it was on a priviate visit visa was 2 years ago, (old system). I went to the OVIR with all the information, but after they took 210 Rubles from me they said that the "owner of the flat had to appear in person. Of course, she was not with me, she was at work and this was the last day of the three-day requirement. So, my "fine" was to register at a local hotel for 2 bottles of champagne and 1500 Rubles. My finance' had to negotiate this down from a start of 7500 Roubles. A small fine would be a pleasure to pay.

Ditto. What do you expect us to say...get a Russian lawyer? Pay the fine before you get in deeper.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Haha, i'd like to see this fine in a legal code. "If someone does not register within three days, he must throw a party for the OVIR office."

Being "Right" in Russia is of no advantage. Last time I went through the "Registration" Process, it was on a priviate visit visa was 2 years ago, (old system). I went to the OVIR with all the information, but after they took 210 Rubles from me they said that the "owner of the flat had to appear in person. Of course, she was not with me, she was at work and this was the last day of the three-day requirement. So, my "fine" was to register at a local hotel for 2 bottles of champagne and 1500 Rubles. My finance' had to negotiate this down from a start of 7500 Roubles. A small fine would be a pleasure to pay.

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.