Peikko

Beijing bans smoking...

26 posts in this topic

"...The smoking ban is the latest move toward the government's promise of a "smoke-free Olympics." To curb air pollution, a serious concern for athletes preparing for the Aug. 8-24 Games, Beijing decided to halt construction sites and half of road traffic. Now Beijing is tackling the health threat from secondhand smoke, which kills more than 100,000 Chinese nationwide every year, public health officials estimate..

The new regulation expands the current — and rarely enforced — municipal rules that prohibit lighting up in hospitals, schools, cinemas, public transit and sports venues. Sun hopes the strengthened ban "will be supported by Beijing citizens." He admitted the government "will face many difficulties." In a city of 17 million people, 23% of those above age 15 smoke..."

Link

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Wow.

I wonder how they're doing in the banning spitting department.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

well, that like their skoal

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Not chewing tobacco necessarily, although I suspect that widespread smoking has something to do with it.

Public spitting has been an issue in China for a while. My sister spent a lot of time there in the mid-1990s and again a couple of years ago (a total of about 2 1/2 years) and was telling us about it. I'd read about it but wasn't sure how widespread it was. She said it was really gross, but guys just spit in public, all the time, everywhere.

During the SARS scare, authorities started cracking down on the public spitting free-for-all. I'm not sure what the situation is now, but I know that men have been encouraged to curb their spitting in anticipation of he Olympics!

Edited by Big Agnes!

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Smoking has no place in the Olympics much like the Olympics has never been political... :whistle:

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Smoking increases phlegm production? Spitting is gross, really. When I see people do it I want to get a gun and shoot 'em!

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Timeline
well, that like their skoal

:no: on my last trip to the PI going thru security in hong kong. i had a can of skoal in my pocket, they were "trying" to open it w/ white gloves. i opened it for them, ran my finger thru it & told them what it was...they'd never seen snuff before.. the reaction from the 5 at the screening area was. :huh::o:blink::wacko::unsure: then i put a dip in infront of them....i thought one of the ladies was gonna hurl. :lol:

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline
Not chewing tobacco necessarily, although I suspect that widespread smoking has something to do with it.

Public spitting has been an issue in China for a while. My sister spent a lot of time there in the mid-1990s and again a couple of years ago (a total of about 2 1/2 years) and was telling us about it. I'd read about it but wasn't sure how widespread it was. She said it was really gross, but guys just spit in public, all the time, everywhere.

During the SARS scare, authorities started cracking down on the public spitting free-for-all. I'm not sure what the situation is now, but I know that men have been encouraged to curb their spitting in anticipation of he Olympics!

In Beijing you don't hear the spitting so much, but here in Tianjin, it is still a major issue. They cracked down on it during SARS, but that didn't put a dent into the practice. The worst part for me is the sound they make before they spit, but almost slipping on a big old cob in an elevator is pretty bad as well. However, I'd prefer the spitting in the elevator than the smoking in the elevator. That just pisses me off!

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Timeline
"...The smoking ban is the latest move toward the government's promise of a "smoke-free Olympics." To curb air pollution, a serious concern for athletes preparing for the Aug. 8-24 Games, Beijing decided to halt construction sites and half of road traffic. Now Beijing is tackling the health threat from secondhand smoke, which kills more than 100,000 Chinese nationwide every year, public health officials estimate..

The new regulation expands the current — and rarely enforced — municipal rules that prohibit lighting up in hospitals, schools, cinemas, public transit and sports venues. Sun hopes the strengthened ban "will be supported by Beijing citizens." He admitted the government "will face many difficulties." In a city of 17 million people, 23% of those above age 15 smoke..."

Link

I"d like to see this happen. It will only be in effect in the area immediately surrounding where the tourists and Olympic participants will be. I was at the children's ward of the cancer hospital just the other day and almost choked on the smoke outside the elevators. There under the NO SMOKING sign was an ashtray with about 100 cigarettes. There were about 10 people standing around smoking. But my colleague says that last year they were smoking in the children's rooms, so I guess it has improved.

AOS Timeline

wwmd?

what would mao do?

wchina31.jpg

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline
wwmd?

what would mao do?

wchina31.jpg

Bum a light.

AOS Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Smoking has no place in the Olympics much like the Olympics has never been political... :whistle:

only if you can participate in the events while smoking. i did a pt test in ft huachuca smoking a cig on the run :lol:

:secret:

14:00 even btw

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Smoking increases phlegm production? Spitting is gross, really. When I see people do it I want to get a gun and shoot 'em!

I agree. If you're man enough to smoke and produce phlegm, be man enough to swallow it.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg