Heracles

Dutch cyclists lobbying for external airbags on cars

27 posts in this topic

4-24-08-autolive-airbag.jpg

AMSTERDAM (Reuters Life!) - Air bags in cars have helped cut traffic deaths in recent years and now cyclists want to benefit too.

The Dutch Cycling Federation said a study showed that 60 lives could be saved a year if air bags were installed on the hoods of cars, where cyclists are typically hit in accidents. External air bags could also cut 1,500 serious injuries a year.

"In the past many measures have been taken to protect those sitting inside cars but hardly anything has been done to protect people outside cars," it said in a statement on Monday.

"The federation calls on politicians and the car industry to take measures that could limit the chance of serious injury."

The organization said 216 cyclists died in the Netherlands in 2006, including 106 in crashes with cars.

It said Sweden's Autoliv Inc, the world's biggest air bag and seat belt maker, had already developed a bag that inflates from the bottom of the windscreen.

Cycling has always been popular in this flat country that is well-served by cycle lanes and home to 18 million bikes for its 16 million people.

(Reporting by Emma Thomasson, editing by Paul Casciato)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMol...283695520080422

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Dutch cyclists are a large lobbying group - it's a way of life (as well as death it would seem) so it might appear outrageous to a culture that doesn't use bicycles that much, but maybe isn't in a culture that uses them as much as the Dutch do.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I say we all go Dutch..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Victoria Sponge, hmm miss those cakes..

it might appear outrageous to a culture that doesn't use bicycles that much, but maybe isn't in a culture that uses them as much as the Dutch do.

Well.. I am Dutch myself, I have never heard of this before (so I guess the news coverage didn't exactly caught this even tho it is for this country lol) but I have to say that I think it is a ridiculous idea :wacko:

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Can I ask why you think it's ridiculous? Because it will not work? Because it's going to make cars more expensive?

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Maybe it's because deployed air bags look bad? I would have thought though, that not only would this be good for cyclists, it would reduce the damage done to the car too - am I wrong?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Maybe it's because deployed air bags look bad? I would have thought though, that not only would this be good for cyclists, it would reduce the damage done to the car too - am I wrong?

Why not cover the entire car with thick padding - that same material you get in gym mats?

Are you suggesting that the bags are permanently deployed? That wasn't what I got from the article. I am not quite sure how such a device would work, but I am sure the idea is not to have them permanently fixed but to be deployed when a cyclist crashes with a car.