honeyblonde

What type of visa is best for Phillipines?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My husbands best buddy is a dual US and Phillipine citizen. He's in his 20s and wants to bring over his fiancee and get married this year. Since he has dual citizenship and they grew up together, I'm sure his case will be easy no matter how he files, but I wasn't sure what to tell him would be fastest. She just graduated from college so she can finally join him here. What would be the best way for him to bring her here?

Should he do a fiancee visa, get married there and then bring her on a marriage visa, or would direct consular filing be quickest?

Any help from those who've dealt with the Phillipine consulate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Liz

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

DCF is only an option if the US Citizen has been living in the foreign country for 6 months or more.

For speed the K-1 is the quickest, for the least hassles (Adjustment of status, EAD, SSN), when in the USA then consider CR-1.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
My husbands best buddy is a dual US and Phillipine citizen. He's in his 20s and wants to bring over his fiancee and get married this year. Since he has dual citizenship and they grew up together, I'm sure his case will be easy no matter how he files, but I wasn't sure what to tell him would be fastest. She just graduated from college so she can finally join him here. What would be the best way for him to bring her here?

Should he do a fiancee visa, get married there and then bring her on a marriage visa, or would direct consular filing be quickest?

Any help from those who've dealt with the Phillipine consulate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Liz

I hate to paint this pretty picture you have going on, but there is no such thing as easy when it comes to the USCIS. No matter what path they choose there will be waiting involved when it comes to being together. Regardless of whether they get married there or here they cannot immediately be together. Right now it seems as though the fiancee visa's and spouse visa's are taking about the same amount of time. What it comes down to is what THEY want to do since they cannot be together right away anyways. My fiance and I went through this same question and we decided that when we did get married we wanted to be able to wake up to eachother and rather wait and do the fiance visa. Good luck to your friend.

2/9/08-I-129F Sent!!!

2/11/08-I-129F Received!!!

2/12/08-NOA1!!!

2/13/08-Touched!!!

6/30/08-Touched!!!

6/30/08-NOA2!!!

7/7/08-NVC Received!!!

7/9/08-NVC Left!!!

7/18/08-Packet 3 Received!!!

Missing someone gets easier everyday because even though you are one day further from the last time you saw them, you are one day closer to the next time you will.-Natalie

To truly love something, you must first give it a chance to fail. If it survives, it is going to be stronger than ever. Distance is pure proof of this, and forever we will love if we survive.-Matthew

I understand about waiting with the USCIS. I did a little research myself before choosing which way to go and found that for my husbands country (Morocco) at that time (2005) K1 was going the quickest with the least hassles. That's the reason for the question here. When I found out his buddy was wanting to get his fiancee here and get married I told him I'd ask and see if anyone here had any experience with the Phillipine consulate, since that side of things does vary by country.

Some consulates seem to move faster with certain types of visas while others are faster with other types.

If his buddy grew up in the Phillipines but came here as an adult (maybe about a year ago) would he have to go back and live there for 6 months now to file DCF? His father was an American soldier and his mother was Phillipino, so that is how he got dual citizenship.

YuandDan, thanks for the link. It doesn't really answer though if he can file DCF if he is a citizen there. All they require is proof of US Citizen residence for six months, but in his case he isn't just a resident there, he's a citizen too. Guess he needs to contact his consulate and see about that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
YuandDan, thanks for the link. It doesn't really answer though if he can file DCF if he is a citizen there. All they require is proof of US Citizen residence for six months, but in his case he isn't just a resident there, he's a citizen too. Guess he needs to contact his consulate and see about that.
Foreign citizenship has nothing to do with DCF, only US Citizens can file DCF.

About the 6 month requirement:

To demonstrate residency in a consular district, American Citizen petitioners must be able to show that they have permission to reside in the consular district and that they have been doing so continuously for at least six months before filing the petition. Individuals who are in the country on a temporary status, such as student or tourist, would not be considered to meet the residency standard.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2007/mar/82030.htm

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.