imatravis8683

Travel outside USA for long periods...question

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello, new here. name is travis. okay...my wife arrived to usa on a K1 and we married, filed for AOS and are in the process, so hopefully in a few months she will have her conditional residency. here is my issue. my family has a businees that I work at, we are relocating to Mexico. So I and my wife will be outside the USA for extended periods of time. Here is my question...

1. When she has her conditional residency she can travel outisde USA?

2. What is the longest, (safest too) time she can be outside the USA?

3. How long must we stay in the USa when we come back? Note: My USA residence will also change from my current one. However the bulk of my time will be in mexico. Actually I need us to be there longer than in the USA. So if she ha to come back, how often and for how long each time?

Thanks...because I dont want to mess her immigration process up at all.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
hello, new here. name is travis. okay...my wife arrived to usa on a K1 and we married, filed for AOS and are in the process, so hopefully in a few months she will have her conditional residency. here is my issue. my family has a businees that I work at, we are relocating to Mexico. So I and my wife will be outside the USA for extended periods of time. Here is my question...

1. When she has her conditional residency she can travel outisde USA?

2. What is the longest, (safest too) time she can be outside the USA?

3. How long must we stay in the USa when we come back? Note: My USA residence will also change from my current one. However the bulk of my time will be in mexico. Actually I need us to be there longer than in the USA. So if she ha to come back, how often and for how long each time?

Thanks...because I dont want to mess her immigration process up at all.

1. Yes once she gets her conditional residency she will be able to travel abroad. She even has the "advantage" to get in line @ the US citizens and Permanent Residents only line on US Airports hehe

2. She can stay as long as 1 year outside the US, as long as you let immigration know the reasons to stay away that long and your intentions to come back, this in order to keep her PR active. Show lease contracts, house deeds, children born in the US etc to support your claim. Remember if your intentions are to completely relocate to Mexico you will have issues with USCIS, the main purpose of her PR is to stay and reside in the US NOT in Mexico.

3. Well the last question is tricky and up to USCIS. If they find her stay in Mexico too extensive and repetitive they might decide that she is not residing in the US and there is not point on her to have a US Permanent Residence, if she resides outside the US more than in the US her PR might get canceled. Again, I repeat, the main purposes of a Permanent residence is to reside IN the US not somewhere else. I would save all this troubles by waiting 3 years for her to apply for US citizenship and live wherever you want, meanwhile reside in the US most of the time.

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Also be advice is she stays too long in mexico she will have to apply for a waver to come back.

And please,

:time:

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.