panamania79

Gas prices

122 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Gas is now $3.50 a gallon.In some MA towns it is a few cents cheaper,but not much.If this keeps up,I'm going to buy a motor-scooter.

There's not much I can change at this point. We both have commutes that are less than 10 miles each way. I can't move any closer to work without doubling my income and public transportation or carpooling aren't options either.

To be honest, the increase in gas prices so far haven't really affected us. Of course, if they continue to go up, at some point it will.

we have been thinking of getting one of those smart cars that only hold two people........well my mom has i dont drive.....but right now the price is not too bad so if only two people going at a time i am not sure about the millage but i heard it gets 40 or 50 to the gallon......

Those things don't weigh much. And both my wife and I have to go up and down a hill for work. A regular compact is a struggle in the snow. Plus our current 'fortune' may change and we may find ourselves (yet again) commuting to work via one of this states many fine (haha) giant highways and let's just say i'm not taking no kimchi cab on the garden state parkway. I don't have a deathwish.

:whistle: i had not thought about that lol ur right one hundred percent right

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I'd be interested in hearing how people are coping with the gas prices. What are you doing to cut down?

Eating out seems to be the first cut people make. Maybe it's just in my head but I seem to notice that the local restaurants have a lot more vacant tables these days. Even on a usually popular Friday or Saturday night, we haven't been waiting to be seated in awhile. :no:

I haven't noticed that. Our local hibachi place (we went there last night) was as packed as it always was.

Edited by VJ Troll

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Gas is now $3.50 a gallon.In some MA towns it is a few cents cheaper,but not much.If this keeps up,I'm going to buy a motor-scooter.

There's not much I can change at this point. We both have commutes that are less than 10 miles each way. I can't move any closer to work without doubling my income and public transportation or carpooling aren't options either.

To be honest, the increase in gas prices so far haven't really affected us. Of course, if they continue to go up, at some point it will.

we have been thinking of getting one of those smart cars that only hold two people........well my mom has i dont drive.....but right now the price is not too bad so if only two people going at a time i am not sure about the millage but i heard it gets 40 or 50 to the gallon......

I thought about a Smart also, until I saw that they get horrible gas mileage (for the size) - 33/41mpg - http://www.smartusa.com/smart-car-technica...ifications.aspx

The Chevy Aveo, which is twice it's size, gets 24/34.

I don't know what I'm going to get....I gotta do something. 120 miles per day in a 4x4 truck that gets 20mpg is killing me. (That's $20/day just to get to work!)

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I carpool to work, and have been doing it for two years now. There are three of us so there are sacrifices you make - going to work earlier/later than you want, listening to country music (don't mind too much), staying after work, waiting for someone who slept in/needs to stay after school an extra 10 minutes, but to us it's all worth it. If I need to run an errand or have a doctor's appointment immediately after work, then I can drive myself, but I save a lot of gas money AND miles on my car this way. Not to mention I can sleep on the way to work :thumbs: .

I also try to plan my errands so I can kill two birds with one stone, and we shop at local stores. Like someone said, it's difficult in central Florida since everything is so far away, but we do what we can.

My husband studies at the school where I teach part time so we try to meet at home and go together (though sometimes he leaves his job late and I can't afford to be late, so we have to drive separately).

You do what you can.

edit: Oh yea, my husband drives a Honda & myself a Nissan - so we have pretty good gas mileage (especially the Honda).

Edited by bora bora

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

We bought a house less than 5 miles from where I work. I don't worry much about the gas. I still get the mustang out for a joy ride every nice weekend day. Today we went to the air show and took the long way home. I know gas seems expensive to some but in the big picture it's still a small part of our budget. It's a lot higher in other countries.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I don't know what I'm going to get....I gotta do something. 120 miles per day in a 4x4 truck that gets 20mpg is killing me. (That's $20/day just to get to work!)

Holy cow! :o We've got about the same length of commute, but I'm driving a 1993 Civic and I'm getting about 32 mpg. It's on it's last legs though...I'm hoping it'll last my through December with all the mileage I'm putting on it. I'm spending about $70 a week. Going to try carpooling with a co-worker but even he is about 30 miles from where I live.

Holy cow! :o We've got about the same length of commute, but I'm driving a 1993 Civic and I'm getting about 32 mpg. It's on it's last legs though...I'm hoping it'll last my through December with all the mileage I'm putting on it. I'm spending about $70 a week. Going to try carpooling with a co-worker but even he is about 30 miles from where I live.

Those are ridiculous commutes. I've got 10 miles one way.

i drive 22 miles one way..gas is a #######

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

about the same here, 22 miles round trip. :thumbs: we do have a guy that does a 150 mile round trip per day in a volvo station wagon at about 30 mpg, but that's crazy imo.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

about the same here, 22 miles round trip. :thumbs:

Yeah, that's the way to go. Not just because of the gas prices. But all that time that folks waste commuting. I don't get it. I had a close to 50 mile r/t commute when we lived in Cincinnati and I hated every day of it. Took me an hour to get to the office and an hour to get back. 2 hours wasted daily for nothing. Now I have 20 minutes max one way any time of the day. And that's the way I like it. :thumbs:

fact. not conspiracy. know your history.

I know my history very well thanks :) Seriously people, you have no sense of humor around here?

fact. not conspiracy. know your history.

I know my history very well thanks :) Seriously people, you have no sense of humor around here?

yeah ok. :rolleyes:

The other stuff I posted in conspiracy stuff. But if no one believes we have huge classified oil fields then guess what.... oil is running out and the price will just go up. Little ole supply and demand. Building more refineries ain't gonna change that.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Errand -

*a short trip that is taken in the performance of a necessary task or mission

*A short trip taken to perform a specified task, usually for another.

*The purpose or object of such a trip: Your errand was to mail the letter

She said if her trips were short she would just walk :P