panamania79

Gas prices

122 posts in this topic

I'd be interested in hearing how people are coping with the gas prices. What are you doing to cut down?

I've tried to consolidate my errand running, but pretty much every basic I need I have to drive to...hair cuts, groceries, restaurants.

I mean, how often do you drive to hair salons or restaurants? Like daily? How about finding something closer to your place for haircuts and cook at home?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Its already $4 a gal here. For us on Social Security it is a killer. I have been riding my bike to town (4 miles) when I can. I have built a greenhouse and bought some laying hen for eggs to save money. We sell two dozen eggs a week. We don't go out to eat. We are just hunkered down trying to wait it out or starve.

Removing Conditions

11/26/07 Mailed I-751

03/27/08 10 year green card approved

N-400

12/01/08 Mailed

12/24/08 check cashed

12/23/08 Noa-1

01/14/09 Biometrics

03/20/09 Interview

05/05/09 Oath

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Oil companies back in the day bought up and closed public transport infrastructure (trollies, bus lines etc.). To keep us using cars.

:o Global conspiracy :o It´s like X-files :P

You can go hiking there where you live and not spend the money on gas :thumbs:

If I lived in a rural area, I most definitely could do that. But I live in an urban area and there are very few options for doing so.

I'd be interested in hearing how people are coping with the gas prices. What are you doing to cut down?

I've tried to consolidate my errand running, but pretty much every basic I need I have to drive to...hair cuts, groceries, restaurants.

I mean, how often do you drive to hair salons or restaurants? Like daily? How about finding something closer to your place for haircuts and cook at home?

What's with the snark? And of course we cook at home mostly. If there were a place to get my hair cut within walking distance, I most certainly would be taking advantage of it.

No need for your 'tude. I thought that it would be interesting for people to share how they're changing their habits in the face of rising gas prices.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Oil companies back in the day bought up and closed public transport infrastructure (trollies, bus lines etc.). To keep us using cars.

:o Global conspiracy :o It´s like X-files :P

Not a conspiracy - just business.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

What's with the snark? And of course we cook at home mostly. If there were a place to get my hair cut within walking distance, I most certainly would be taking advantage of it.

No need for your 'tude. I thought that it would be interesting for people to share how they're changing their habits in the face of rising gas prices.

An honest question is no tude :P Errand is something people do often. If you cook at home mostly why would you include restaurants into errands? Same with the hairdresser I guess.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not changing jack, not yet. When the prices hit $10/gallon, I might reconsider.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

We sell two dozen eggs a week. We don't go out to eat. We are just hunkered down trying to wait it out or starve.

I was wondering...If you sell 24 eggs a week, how much profit is there left after you feed the hens? (F)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

An honest question is no tude :P Errand is something people do often. If you cook at home mostly why would you include restaurants into errands? Same with the hairdresser I guess.

umm an errand is an errand.. and I think she is saying that when she does go for a haircut she tries to do other things too while she is out...

Errand -

*a short trip that is taken in the performance of a necessary task or mission

*A short trip taken to perform a specified task, usually for another.

*The purpose or object of such a trip: Your errand was to mail the letter.

http://www.answers.com/topic/errand

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...on&ct=title

hmm, I see no mention that an errand is something you do often... :unsure:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

umm an errand is an errand.. and I think she is saying that when she does go for a haircut she tries to do other things too while she is out...

umm I just don´t think driving to the hairdresser is more pricey than the price of the haircut or haircolour itself :P So if there is enough money for a hairdresser there will still probably be some money left for to get there :P

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

umm I just don´t think driving to the hairdresser is more pricey than the price of the haircut or haircolour itself :P So if there is enough money for a hairdresser there will still probably be some money left for to get there :P

you are not really making sense :lol:

let us say she needs to go for a haircut and she needs to go get some groceries.. instead of making two separate trips she gets her haircut and gets her groceries while she is out... that saves some gas....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm unclear as to why you insist on parsing out the itty bitty details of my question rather than choosing to either address or ignore the nature of my question. I'm talking about how to cut down on gas usage, not the specifics of my hair care. And by the way, I generally pay about $12 for a cheap haircut and I have no need to color my hair.

And I'm not talking about not having the money to transport myself to the hair place, I'm talking about ways to cope with the rising price of gas.

Why do you keep putting in emoticons of a smiley with its tongue stuck out?

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

I moved 4 miles from where I work, and I run my errands on the way home...I used to go out more, but that has been curtailed severely.

Between the upcoming arrival of my fiance, our wedding, the slashing of the education budget (no $ for cost of living increases...maybe even for the next two years), the increase of prices for everything, not just petrol, and the increase of housing costs, it will not be easy to cut back our household budget any more than we already are...

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

I'm unclear as to why you insist on parsing out the itty bitty details of my question rather than choosing to either address or ignore the nature of my question. I'm talking about how to cut down on gas usage, not the specifics of my hair care. And by the way, I generally pay about $12 for a cheap haircut and I have no need to color my hair.

And I'm not talking about not having the money to transport myself to the hair place, I'm talking about ways to cope with the rising price of gas.

Why do you keep putting in emoticons of a smiley with its tongue stuck out?

Cuz it´s a funny face and it shows that I mean it in good and not in bad...but it doesn´t seem like people in this thread ever heard of that :)

Anyway like I said gas is still just half as expensive as it is in Europe so I don´t see such a big deal. But for example: we cut on the cost of gas that we would spend on going to the hairdresser cuz we have our own hair cutting kit that cost 20 dollars and we have been doing our haircuts with it ever since and so we don´t pay for either gas nor the haircuts or anything...

My family was just over here and we spent like a week on the road driving around 3 states and they were surprised how cheap the gas over here was...

An average American has a more purchasing power than an average European. Lots of stuff is much more expensive in Europe then it is in USA...