panamania79

If someone's K-1 visa gets denied

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Why did they deny it? What did they say he did wrong or not have in order? I would also suggest that the next time he has his interview that you be there. Nothing says lovin' like an international trip for the fiance visa. We went through the ringer for our K1 interview.

Here was our story:

I attended my fiance's (now husband) in Buenos Aires. I think it just helps to give validation to the relationship if your USC fiance flies around the world to be with you at the interview. It was good that I was there, as I don't think she would have approved the visa. Initially, she had some questions for me and then she spoke directly with him for a while.

Our interviewer was a real pill, too. At one point, she said that she would deny his visa application because I didn't have copies of my 2002 - 2003 tax returns. I said that they weren't required in the application, which she proceeded to tell me that consulars retain the right to ask for anything they deem necessary. She basically said that there was no way to circumvent this and that I would be leaving Argentina before she could process Gustavo's visa, as they were closed on Friday - I was leaving Sunday, and it was Thursday. Fortunately, I had done all of my tax filing on Turbo Tax and was able to go to an internet cafe and print them off for her.

When we went back to the embassy later on that day, she was shocked to see us, but moreover, it shocked the heck out of her that I my tax returns in hand. She finally said that she would approve his visa, but she wanted to talk with me in private first. She asked if I knew what I was doing? I was so disgusted by this time, but I finally told her - Are you Catholic? She said what did that have to do with anything? I said, are you? She said yes. I said have you ever been engaged to be married in the Catholic Church? She said no. I said, well when you finally go before your priest to tell him that you want to be married in the Church, prepare for the Spanish Inquisition. It is worse than the Embassy interview. I told her that her priest will have all sorts of questions and tests to justify her relationship. Furthermore, I pointed out my letter from our priest that explained the examination of conscience that I had to go through. I told her, if we're ready to be married in the eyes of the Church I think that means we're ready to be married in the eyes of the US Government. She approved our visa after that.

All I can tell you is be prepared for anything.

And now here we are...three and a half years later and applying for citizenship!

Good luck!

Edited by Staashi

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
Staashi: that's a great encouraging story. Wish you very happy married life!

Good luck for Panam? What are the reasons for denial?

Because he committed a robbery 15 years ago.We paid a lawyer to expunge his record yet it still showed up.They gave him the option of doing a I-601 waiver.They said they would interview him again.I am going to Panama to see how I can help.

Why did they deny it? What did they say he did wrong or not have in order? I would also suggest that the next time he has his interview that you be there. Nothing says lovin' like an international trip for the fiance visa. We went through the ringer for our K1 interview.

Here was our story:

I attended my fiance's (now husband) in Buenos Aires. I think it just helps to give validation to the relationship if your USC fiance flies around the world to be with you at the interview. It was good that I was there, as I don't think she would have approved the visa. Initially, she had some questions for me and then she spoke directly with him for a while.

Our interviewer was a real pill, too. At one point, she said that she would deny his visa application because I didn't have copies of my 2002 - 2003 tax returns. I said that they weren't required in the application, which she proceeded to tell me that consulars retain the right to ask for anything they deem necessary. She basically said that there was no way to circumvent this and that I would be leaving Argentina before she could process Gustavo's visa, as they were closed on Friday - I was leaving Sunday, and it was Thursday. Fortunately, I had done all of my tax filing on Turbo Tax and was able to go to an internet cafe and print them off for her.

When we went back to the embassy later on that day, she was shocked to see us, but moreover, it shocked the heck out of her that I my tax returns in hand. She finally said that she would approve his visa, but she wanted to talk with me in private first. She asked if I knew what I was doing? I was so disgusted by this time, but I finally told her - Are you Catholic? She said what did that have to do with anything? I said, are you? She said yes. I said have you ever been engaged to be married in the Catholic Church? She said no. I said, well when you finally go before your priest to tell him that you want to be married in the Church, prepare for the Spanish Inquisition. It is worse than the Embassy interview. I told her that her priest will have all sorts of questions and tests to justify her relationship. Furthermore, I pointed out my letter from our priest that explained the examination of conscience that I had to go through. I told her, if we're ready to be married in the eyes of the Church I think that means we're ready to be married in the eyes of the US Government. She approved our visa after that.

All I can tell you is be prepared for anything.

And now here we are...three and a half years later and applying for citizenship!

Good luck!

Very encouraging story,I am so glad you made it through that ordeal.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You can still file a waiver even as a fiance. But you must prove that, for you, moving to Panama would be an unendurable hardship for you.

Stasshi: I LOVED your story! What style and guts!

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Or are there any options ?

wait...so does the denial thing happen often? can you tell us why you got denied so other people can learn from the mistake?

now i'm terrified to be filing tomorrow. i was under the impression that if you read the guides and could wait a bit the visa would be yours :o

Edited by bogartnoir

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
Or are there any options ?

wait...so does the denial thing happen often? can you tell us why you got denied so other people can learn from the mistake?

now i'm terrified to be filing tomorrow. i was under the impression that if you read the guides and could wait a bit the visa would be yours :o

Well, in this case there was a robbery.

As has been stated before.

Robbery

Illegal stays

Drugs

Lies

etc....

All good reasons to get you denied. If you are free of those then the chances are very slim. Like slimmer than a cardboard. No worries.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
If you are free of those then the chances are very slim. Like slimmer than a cardboard. No worries.

oh my god. you REALLY made my night. no kidding. i'm looking forward so sending out the paperwork now. i was terrified before, but i think (i hope. im pretty sure) we've done everything right.

thank you so much for the reassurance! :star:

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

I assume that he checked the box on the DS-156 that said he had never been arrested or convicted in section 38. If so, you may find that even a waiver may not be of help. To check that block NO when the true answer was yes is considered material misrepresentation which is grounds to deny any future U.S. entry.

38. Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other

similar legal action?

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
I assume that he checked the box on the DS-156 that said he had never been arrested or convicted in section 38. If so, you may find that even a waiver may not be of help. To check that block NO when the true answer was yes is considered material misrepresentation which is grounds to deny any future U.S. entry.

38. Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other

similar legal action?

You assumed wrong because he checked YES, and showed them his expunged record.It showed up in their computer anyway.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Not sure of your location and use of the word expunge, here a exp can only be given on a deferred sentence (with a def of 1 year or under) and then it will still show up as a arrest but just with the conclusion (pled not guilty case dismissed) so in a sense it is still ther just not a conviction.

Now for a total exp to wipe clear off the arrest and all it would have to fall under 1. no charges were ever filed after arrest, 2 dismissed (other reasons) you would be surprised how many lawyers mess this up. Even a pardon here will still show up just with the word PARDON now

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.