8 posts in this topic

HI All,

Wondering if anyone who has been through all this has some advice.

I have just arrived after 6 months of the K1 application procedure, (Gee that was fun!!!). We are getting married on 3rd July. Now i know i have to apply a form I-485 as soon as we are married. But my issue is i want to change my name, so my married name is on my green card. But from what i have read they give you your green card in the name your passport is in. So my question is how do i change my name in my passport as my current K1 visa is in there??? and it can take up to 4 weeks to get a new passport.

Or is it easier to do everything in my maiden name then change it all in a year or so??? would like to change my name as soon as i am married???

Any ideas???

Michelle

HI All,

I have just arrived after 6 months of the K1 application procedure, (Gee that was fun!!!). We are getting married on 3rd July. Now i know i have to apply a form I-485 as soon as we are married. But my issue is i want to change my name, so my married name is on my green card. But from what i have read they give you your green card in the name your passport is in. So my question is how do i change my name in my passport as my current K1 visa is in there??? and it can take up to 4 weeks to get a new passport.

Or is it easier to do everything in my maiden name then change it all in a year or so??? would like to change my name as soon as i am married???

Any ideas???

Michelle

HI All,

Any ideas???

Michelle

My wifes Greencard was issued in her married name. When you file for AOS, you use the new married name. I think it's easier to to change the name from the beginning than to wait to do it later.....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

All you have to do is to fill in the application papers with the name you will be using. They don't use the name from your passeport, they use the name you tell them to because they understand that a lot of people change name after getting married.

So file with married name. Also aftter the wedding you need to get your name changed at the local Social Security so you will have it on you SS Card and therfore able to get it on the Driver's license as well.

By the way to change your name after you have your Green Card costs extra dollars (new form to fill), so it is an option but an expensive one. It's easier to just file with the name you plan to use.

Edited by Cécy

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
HI All,

Any ideas???

Michelle

They issue the greencard in the name that you are able to properly document on the I-485. If you document your "maiden" name it will be issued as such, if you docuemnt a new name (married?), it will be issued as such. To change your passport you contact the consulate for your country of citizenship located in Washingtond DC or other city where thay may have a sattelite office. Your K--1 visa is meaningless now as it has been used. The I-94 is the more important document that indicates your legal presence. Typically however when you renew/replace/update your passport your old passport is returned to you.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
All you have to do is to fill in the application papers with the name you will be using. They don't use the name from your passeport, they use the name you tell them to because they understand that a lot of people change name after getting married.

So file with married name. Also aftter the wedding you need to get your name changed at the local Social Security so you will have it on you SS Card and therfore able to get it on the Driver's license as well.

By the way to change your name after you have your Green Card costs extra dollars (new form to fill), so it is an option but an expensive one. It's easier to just file with the name you plan to use.

yup cecy is right all you have to do file the AOS with the name you like to use in the future , ( who ever told you they use the name from your passport gave you incorrect information , the passport name can be changed after your married ) therefor its adviceable to apply AOS with married name , when you aply just add a copy of your marriage certificate and all suporting documents they ask for

good luck

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

yup cecy is right all you have to do file the AOS with the name you like to use in the future , ( who ever told you they use the name from your passport gave you incorrect information , the passport name can be changed after your married ) therefor its adviceable to apply AOS with married name , when you aply just add a copy of your marriage certificate and all suporting documents they ask for

good luck

Thank you so much everyone for your help...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am going through this part myself for my wife's name. I should have had her get a new passport after marriage and then I could have done everything with her married name. Instead I did the 130 and 129F with her maiden name. THere is nothing wrong with it, but it creates a hassle later. The visa is issued in her maiden name, so when trying to get her state identification card, or a driver's license, they will not put it in her married name. The county court office disagrees with the BMV in that they say the marriage certificate is sufficient for the married name. Common sense suggests this alone!!

My concern right now is that since her biometrics appointment letter is in her married name, as I put the I485 in her married name so her greencard is in her married name, that when going for the biometrics, she will not have any identification that shows her married name. I am hoping that having the marriage certificate will suffice, but I am more confident that showing that the A# listed on the appointment letter matches the approval notice with her maiden name. I just think that in retrospect, having had her go through the hassle of getting her passport changed into the new name and then getting the visa in her married name, would have made everything a lot simpler. In this case, she did not have any exisiting visas in her passport, so there would not have been any complications.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.