what is the most common way to meet spouse or fiance  

146 members have voted

1. 1. how did u meet

• by internet
    • by family member
    • by other

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I think I've answered once every 3 months when this same question is asked.

I was a moderator on a pagan message board. Mags had broken her foot and was playing around on the internet due to boredom. She found the site via a google search on "broken foot". She joined, even though she wasn't pagan. I found her posts amusing, and I reckon she liked mine too. (I was the "enforcer" on that board....the person who would flame morons/idiots/trolls until they quit, got banned, or otherwise left the board - I was a professional misanthrope) We started chatting about Scotland for some reason. Then after a couple of months, Mags announced that she was flying to the US. The rest is history.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met my fiance online..... he was looking for blonde hair and blue-eyed girl but it so happened that he found me, a black hair, brown eyes, tanned skin asian girl....LOL totally different of what he was looking for before.....hahaha but we're happy and get along so well.....Thanks to internet and dating sites, we found each other.....

:rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mine was online. We were both members of a poker forum, and we both frequented the Off Topic section of it. I bought an xbox and searched for people on there who had one to add them to my friends list. Anyways, added him, got Gears of War, and he said "out" funny. So I bugged him, we played xbox and poker, then got on messenger and I was a sucker for the sideburns.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I MET MY HUSBAND ON AN ONLINE DATING SERVICE. AND AGREE WITH KAZAN ABOUT SLIM PICKINS. I DIDN'T GO ONLINE LOOKING FOR LOVE IT JUST CAME TO ME. I WAS ALSO TIRED OF THE DRUNKS AND ABUSERS AT THE BARS.

Consulate : Morocco

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-16

129F NOA1 : 2007-03-23

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-07-30

Interview Date : 2007-09-06

Visa Received : 2007-09-17

US Entry : 2007-10-15

Marriage : 2007-10-20

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2007-11-25

NOA Date : 2007-11-29

Bio. Appt. : 2007-12-21

Interview Date : 2008-03-12

Approval / Denial Date : 2008-04-02

Approved : Yes

Greencard Received: 2008-04-13

Employment Authorization Document

Date Filed : 2007-11-25

NOA Date : 2007-11-29

Approved Date : 2008-01-28

Date Card Received : 2008-02-01

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I met my fiancé in a chat room / penpal site where you can practice Spanish & English with people from different countries. I speak both Spanish & English fluently but I wanted to brush up on my writing so I was practicing there (I was about to take a Spanish composition course for my teaching certification and NEEDED to work on accent marks etc) I met Luis just chit chatting, added him to my MSN, talked with him every couple of days until the conversations got really interesting so we took it to skype and phone convos. Fell in love shortly after and I went to Peru in May of 2006 for 3 weeks (best 3 weeks of my life) and then again this past march.

I miss him. I wasn't looking for a boyfriend but I found the love of my life. Funny how that works out huh? And I was Miss "No meeting guys on the internet" too. Love contradicting myself, lol

:star:

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm not comfortable with, nor cannot ever see myself being comfortable with, meeting someone on the internet for a serious relationship. I'm very much a people person and have met friends and ex's in some of the strangest places.

That being said, I have no harsh words to say about anyone who does meet their SO online.

I have met a handful of men and women on forums that I have then met in person and continued friendships for years now.

I met my husband in person while on vacation.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I am also answering even though I've answered this question a million times hehe.

Internet here too.

I am not saying this to make people who purposely went online to find someone feel weird (ok, Scott! :P ) but I was one of those people who said I would never marry someone I met online. I had a friend who married someone they met online and they were a perfect match, but still I for some reason thought it wasn't for me. I think I also use to say I would never marry a vegetarian, and well guess what Sujeet is! So I can be a dork with this "never" stuff huh!?

Anyway I IM-ed people a lot on AOL instant messenger back then, mostly friends who moved away for college. One day I was awake later than usual, couldn't sleep, and was online and got a message saying a certain username wanted to talk(I had that filter on where new people had to get permission to talk to you) and I debated pressing "Ok" bc the person had no info about themselves but I figured, well why not, if it's a creep I'll block them. So I did, and it was Sujeet. He was at work(daytime in India), and bored surfing AOl IM and searched under "Christianity" for users who had that as an interest. Of course I thought it was interesing to talk to someone from India. We started talking about religion and life in general, became buddies, then more, and the rest is history.

I do have to thank God for the internet, for me not being able to sleep that night, and for accepting the message from Sujeet!

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Internet Yahoo chat room

TimeLine

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2007-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none

RFE Reply(s) : none

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-30

NVC Received : 2007-11-05

NVC Left : 2007-11-06

Consulate Received : 2007-11-09

Packet 3 Received : 2007-11-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-11-23

Packet 4 Received : 2007-12-16

Medical Taken : 2008-01-03

Medical Passed : 2008-01-04

Interview Date : 2008-01-11

Interview Passed : 2008-01-11

Visa Issue : January 18th 2008

USA ENTRY : January 23rd 2008

POE Entry : Seattle Washington

Wedding : February 9th 2008

Social Security Card Received: February 19th 2008

Civil Surgeon I693 signed : April 14th Vaccinations Complete.

AOS: Sent on April 15th 2008 USPS Confirmed . April 17th 4:56 Am

AOS: Hard Copy Received NOA1 April 22nd all 3 arrived same day.

Biometrics : Received Appointment Letter Today April 27th = May 23rd 2008 10 am appointment

Transfered CSC June 4th

EAD: Approved June 13th 2008

EAD: Recieved Card June 18th 2008

AP: Approved June 13th 2008

AP: Received June 18th 2008

AOS:touched :Card ordered July 26th

Approval: AOS : Aug 4th

Green Card :Received : Aug 5th with Welcome Letter . 2 years Dated July 26th

Thank You USCIS

Thank You Visa Journey...........................

Internet here too. We began as penpals. I was interested in learning about a different country (honestly, I really wanted to learn more about living in the FAR NORTH of Canada, but instead the pen pal I clicked with the most was the guy living in Vancouver). And the rest is history :)

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

I don't think people who looked for a mate on the internet are losers :P

it is just how it worked out me... I didn't go to a chat room to meet someone... i was just bored and wanted to check out this chatting thing and I just happened to meet my future husband in a chat room:)

:yes: (Only for me it was a forum and not a chat room).

If it weren't for the internet, I'd be very single and probably would have stayed that way. It is nearly impossible, to find someone special, when you are middle aged and have no normal network of singles to draw from. My friends and family no zero single people that I find attractive for a serious relationship. I'm not and could never get interested in the "bar scene". I wouldn't walk up to a lady at the grocery or clothing store to ask for their shopping advice hoping to get a little more. I truly can say, the internet is 100% responsible for opening doors that would have otherwise remain closed.

:thumbs: I could have said the same thing, word-for-word myself - well, maybe not the "middle-aged" part, as I was 37 when I found Lai :P

Lai and I met on the Internet at a singles site. And we were both there actively, deliberately seeking a spouse (gasp!). I find it amusing how often people will say they met on the Internet, but then will be quick to point out that it was entirely accidental and they'd had no real intention of finding a spouse there, as if there were something weird or sad about people who purposely look for their mates that way, and they want to assure everyone they aren't losers ;)

I only 'point it out' because most of the time I'm answering a question like this or someone asks me and my answer requires a little more explanation.

I certainly have no problem with people deliberately looking online for a spouse and it works very well for many people. There is perhaps more of a stigma attached when you're younger, however. When you're older it's considered more acceptable for the very reasons Kazan states. When you're my age, you're so surrounded by single friends and good dating networks that you're expected to find someone there instead. I know many people who will have no problems with their parents or parents' friends dating online but would still consider it weird if one of their own peers found love online.

Mine was online. We were both members of a poker forum, and we both frequented the Off Topic section of it. I bought an xbox and searched for people on there who had one to add them to my friends list. Anyways, added him, got Gears of War, and he said "out" funny. So I bugged him, we played xbox and poker, then got on messenger and I was a sucker for the sideburns.

Off-topic, but I love your avatar! :D

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i was single way back then and i wasn't searching for any romance (specially online, i'm not against it though :) )

i went to yahoo literati just to play a game not knowing that that is where ill met the love of my life (L):luv:

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
other. I believe most people find their spouses through their social circle, like school, at work, at a bar, club, family or friends.

That answer was for the question what's the most common ... For the question how did you meet my answer is internet.

I met my husband at TGIF where I used to work before.. Personally I did find hard believing people in the internet until I joined this forum where mostly some of the couples here were met by internet..

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

We did meet on the internet, but only had a very small handful of random conversations over the course of two years before we actually met in person. Even then, there was no serious intention on my part, anyway, to meet. It just happened because of an insane 60-70 year old woman, with whom my short course program in Germany thought would be appropriate for me to live with for 3 weeks. :wacko:

Edited by Wacken