sarahaziz

Arab/Jewish Baby Names

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Hahaha, may I ask are you Jewish by religion? Saffron is such a sophisticated word but I think of red food and rice.

I am a Torah-observant believer in yeshua, just like Peter, Paul, etc. I follow the exact example of Yeshua. i qualify as Rabinnnically Jewish, although not Biblically under laws of inheritence.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Wahrania why are you so negative woman!! Calm down! My spouse will listen to me because I give him that same respect also. You know I was actually going to post that in my Original post about Arabic names being similar to Hebrew but I just decided to leave it out. There's a name Kezia - it means a sweet smelling spice in Hebrew I thought it was very beautiful. If an arab name comes about cool but I look forward to something kind of new and different if we can find it. Mohammads, Aichas, Khadijas, etc.. beautiful names but so many people have them. I want my kid to have a beautiful name with a good meaning and a rare name. Naming her after a spice doesn't really sit well though.

I like it just fine! I wanted to name a girl Saffron, but he said no for the same reason I bolded in your statement. What's wrong with Saffron? :angry: Well, although not meaningful at all, I support your spice choice :)

Hee!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hahaha, may I ask are you Jewish by religion? Saffron is such a sophisticated word but I think of red food and rice.

I am a Torah-observant believer in yeshua, just like Peter, Paul, etc. I follow the exact example of Yeshua. i qualify as Rabinnnically Jewish, although not Biblically under laws of inheritence.

what exactly does "qualify as rabinnically jewish" mean?

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline
what exactly does "qualify as rabinnically jewish" mean?

There are expess commandments, traditions, etc in the Tanakh.. then there are things in the Talmud (like the biggest Biblical commentary ever) which are different. In the Torah, it states your inheritence comes from your father. So if a Jewish man married a Moabite woman (like Ruth), the children are Jewish. Rabbis, for reasons which were very compelling including rape, persecution, etc, made Jewish inheritence through the woman. So although I would qualify that way through my mother's side, I do not qualify according to the Torah.

Timeline
Well if you know alot about Hebrew/Jew culture, let me know a beautiful name for a boy , something meaning honest/strong. If you ever get a chance!

Abir , Bani, Aaron, Eitan , Eytan, Etan all have strong as a meaning...

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

for hebrew boys names i like:

adi

adam

Ariel (Ari’el)

Ethan (Eitan, Eytan)

Gabriel (Gavriel, Gavri'el)

Ilan

Jair (Yair, Ya'ir)

michael

Nathan (Natan)

Nissim (Nisim)

there are probably more i'm forgetting but those are all good imo! :)

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Timeline

My husband's mother's name is Saiida too - I love it!! Hehe

We had two names picked out...Rana for a girl, meaning to look at and Malek is our son's name and it means king or ruler.

I forgot to add I liked the name Saadia which is his mother's name but he thought it was old sounding.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Our boy will be Zaid Sofyan....If our next child (in the VERY distant future) happens to be a girl we have Leena or Amani picked out...boys names in arabic, i dont really care for. Zaid is about as simple as it comes, and it took a WHILE to grow on me....

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Timeline
Well if you know alot about Hebrew/Jew culture, let me know a beautiful name for a boy , something meaning honest/strong. If you ever get a chance!

Evan = stone

I know israelis named Amir also...

I like the names Evan and Violet, and other V names-- what sucks is Arabic doesn't have the "v". So you either get some kind of "f" or "w" put in it's place.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
Jihed and I have talked about this alot - well mostly I've talked and he's nodded and said, as long as it's a Muslim name I don't care what it is. Such a typical man lol

For a boy, I LOVE Yassine... :thumbs: I don't know why, just love saying it hehe But Omar is my favorite caliph (I love the stories about him)

For a girl, I think we'll go with something old and Tunisian.. Sahliha ... My husband cringes when I say this but I just love that name lol He says it's an old person's name and please do not give his child this name!! I like Yasmine... But Yassine and Yasmine -too close I think... And Marwa...

They don't really do middle names in Tunisia - I've seen a few of his cousins that have had babies recently giving them two names, but traditionally just first name and the father's family name...... Or for Jihed.. His legal name.. Jihed ben Mohsen ben Mohammed.. hehe so that could go on for a long time.. But I know that Egypt the second/middle name is the first name of the father, right? Regardless of if the child is male or female?

Which brings me to another question - maybe should be another topic but - How many of you did take or will take your husband's last name? I know in America it's the thing ... You get married and take your husband's last name.. But when I said this to Jihed he was like Huh? Why would you take my last name? lol Right now I still have the last name of my ex/first husband which was easier for my son after the divorce, but I'd really like to lose that last name and I don't want to go back to Maiden, so we talked and I just told him I will legally change my last name to his when he gets here.. He's still a bit confused on it - but I'm curious what the rest of ya'll did?

I changed my last name to my husbands, but I moved my maiden name to my middle name. I actually got that idea from my mother because she did the same thing. It also made things easier while I in the midst of changing my name on everything else like credit cards, etc. If the card was in the old name, at least my ID still had my first name the same and showed my maiden name there. No one ever questioned it.

My husband liked this idea too because it conformed to American and Islamic custom/requirements.

Edited by S and S

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.