Robyn-n-Kris

Banking in US/Uk

11 posts in this topic

Ok.. maybe someone else has gone through this and has some advice. Kris is needing to keep an account going in the uK because of some of his debts he will still be paying for when he gets here.... what we are trying to figure out is what is the best way to do this. I have an account in the US but they do not do interntional transfers. Thoughts???

Ok.. maybe someone else has gone through this and has some advice. Kris is needing to keep an account going in the uK because of some of his debts he will still be paying for when he gets here.... what we are trying to figure out is what is the best way to do this. I have an account in the US but they do not do interntional transfers. Thoughts???

What about HSBC Bank. There international. I found them to be helpfull when i was in Canada.

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I keep seeing commercials for the Royal Bank of Scotland on the TV these days so I think they might be international now.

I think people go with credit unions lots of times too.

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

I have a credit union but they dont do international LOL.. i may look into HSBC just because as well.,

Filed: Timeline

I use Custom House. They have fantastic customer service, excellent exchange rates (that you choose) and zero service charges. I can transfer between Canada, the US, and the UK at no charge. (They serve other countries also.) If I would like same-day service, I only pay a $20 wire service fee. (But, really.... I've only needed same-day wire service once since I've moved.) They step you through every inch of the process and never make you feel like an idiot or that you're wasting their time. They are awesome. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

I use Custom House. They have fantastic customer service, excellent exchange rates (that you choose) and zero service charges. I can transfer between Canada, the US, and the UK at no charge. (They serve other countries also.) If I would like same-day service, I only pay a $20 wire service fee. (But, really.... I've only needed same-day wire service once since I've moved.) They step you through every inch of the process and never make you feel like an idiot or that you're wasting their time. They are awesome. :thumbs:

Oh.. cool. I'll look into that. Thanks for the info!

Smile (www.smile.co.uk) do a current account which does international transfers for £8 a pop. They also pay interest on the balance in the account. I opened one a few months ago and have done one transfer to my SO in the US which went through fine. When I finally get to the US I intend to use the Smile account for routing my funds from the UK to US and for paying any ongoing UK expenses.

It only takes a short while to open an account with them on-line.

My time line

CSC

Nov 7, 2004 - First met in Chagford, Devon, UK

Sep 1, 2007 - Married in Chagford

Oct 5, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Oct 9, 2007 - Received by CSC

Jan 14, 2008 - Rejected by Chicago, wrong date on check 😞

Jan 15, 2008 - Sent I-130 back to Chicago with correctly dated check 🙂

Jan 16, 2008 - Received by Chicago

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

May 6, 2008 - NVC assign case number

May 12, 2008 - DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

May 18, 2008 - DS-3032 request emailed by me

May 22, 2008 - AOS bill paid by check

May 27, 2008 - DS-3032 accepted by NVC

Jun 2, 2008 - IV bill generated

Jun 9, 2008 - IV bill received

Jun 16, 2008 - IV bill paid by check

Jun 21, 2008 - I-864 package received

Jun 26, 2008 - I-864 sent to NVC

Jun 30, 2008 - DS-230 generated by NVC

Jul 11, 2008 - DS-230 received

Jul 26, 2008 - DS-230 sent to NVC

Aug 4, 2008 - DS-230 received by NVC

Aug 12, 2008 - Case completed

Aug 14, 2008 - Papers sent to London Embassy

Oct 20, 2008 - Medical in London

Oct 27, 2008 - Interview in London (was originally scheduled for Sep 23)

Oct 28, 2008 - Visa received

Nov 22, 2008 - Arrived in USA at Phoenix.... Yeah!!!

Filed: Timeline
Smile (www.smile.co.uk) do a current account which does international transfers for £8 a pop. They also pay interest on the balance in the account. I opened one a few months ago and have done one transfer to my SO in the US which went through fine. When I finally get to the US I intend to use the Smile account for routing my funds from the UK to US and for paying any ongoing UK expenses.

It only takes a short while to open an account with them on-line.

£8 is a lot of money when you can do it for nothing with Custom House. :unsure:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
£8 is a lot of money when you can do it for nothing with Custom House. :unsure:

Custom House get my vote too. :thumbs:

I use this site to transfer my money. http://www.xe.com/fx/

They work in alliance with Custom House.

Gillian

I've given all the sites to Kris. He's looking at Custom House (he will not use Smile). So I'm sure all will be well. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

I use InterchangeFX .

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.