Corey-Mariya

Working in the USA question

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Whatever you do, do not allow your fiancee to fall into the trap of working for Russian firms or Russian people when she arrives.
Why not?
I am sure groovlstk has his reasons but here are the common problems I have seen:

1. Russians continue to operate and treat their fellow employees as if they were in Russia.

2. They might not pay all or some of the agreed upon salary.

3. You learn English at a slower pace.

You forgot one...the boss may want sexual favors.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

:rolleyes:

not again!!!!!!!!!! :)

men are men. вот и все.

Whatever you do, do not allow your fiancee to fall into the trap of working for Russian firms or Russian people when she arrives.
Why not?
I am sure groovlstk has his reasons but here are the common problems I have seen:

1. Russians continue to operate and treat their fellow employees as if they were in Russia.

2. They might not pay all or some of the agreed upon salary.

3. You learn English at a slower pace.

You forgot one...the boss may want sexual favors.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Realistically, she's going to be hard pressed to find a job other than working in a restaurant or light retail/customer service setting, and that's if they'll even hire her. If you guys live in a metro area, it's possible that she can find a decent job doing something, but as said above, most places are pretty aprehensive to hire new immigrants. If she can speak English well that will really help her out.

The other problem you may run into is how to get her to/from work everyday. Mull that one over for a while too.

And since no one else has said it yet, SAVE YOUR MONEY RIGHT NOW!!!! You're going to need it. It's extremely hard to be young and make it. My wife and I are just now (a year and a half after her arrival) starting to get where we're comfortable financially, and she hates her job but works it just to keep some money coming in. She wasn't able to work for the first nine or ten months, so that really took a toll. Keep whatever money you have or pay off whatever bills you can. Trust me, she's not going to "pull her own weight" for quite a while, even if she is working.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Why not?

I know a good number of Russian people in the NYC area. All who work for Russians or Russian firms are paid a pittance and treated poorly. The managers of such firms know that most expats come to work for them because their English is not up to snuff or they don't yet have the confidence to leave their comfort zones, which gives them wide lattitude for abuse. (And this is not a knock against Russians - many immigrants are subject to this if they are reluctant to integrate yet want to work).

We have friends who've been in the US for 8+ years, and those working for Russian firms can't speak a lick of English - and they probably never will because they never leave their protective Russian enclaves. I've noticed that those Russians who never integrated are, in general, unhappy with their lives here and very critical of the US. I've also noted exactly the opposite in those who learned English, have American friends, etc.

On a separate note, I'd encourage guys who have fiancees planning to work in the US when they arrive to be protective but not cloying. My wife accepted her first two job offers yet quit after a single day at each. There are companies out there, small firms in particular, that will see her immigrant status and lack of perfect English as an opportunity to exploit her. Be it for something as heinous as requiring sex or simpler abuses like no vacation time and long hours, involve yourself in her job search and be patient. If she hates her work it's bound to carry over into her personal life; a little patience and understanding while she finds a job she enjoys can go a long way.

08.24.06 - I-129F sent to VSC

08.30.06 - NOA1

09.01.06 - NOA1 snail mail

09.09.06 - touched

09.15.06 - NAO2 approval via email

09.19.06 - NVC receives package

09.20.06 - NAO2 snail mail

09.26.06 - NVC mails package to US Embassy in Moscow

10.03.06 - Consolate receives package

10.17.06 - Interview prep package received by fiancee

12.12.06 - Approved!

12.16.06 - Picked up visa from DHL office in Moscow

12.20.06 - POE JFK, just in time for the holidays...

02.10.07 - Married, viva Las Vegas!

04.02.07 - AOS mailed

04.10.07 - AOS NAO1 received

05.03.07 - Biometrics @ Varick St., Manhattan

06.05.07 - Request to Appear for Initial Interview received (interview date: July 31)

06.25.07 - EAD card received

06.28.07 - AP document received (thanks for nothin', she'll have her green card before her travel date!)

07.31.07 - Initial interview a breeze!

08.13.07 - Green card arrives in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Hey does anyone here know what you have to do so your fiancee can work when she gets to the USA? What does she have to do to be able to work? I know the fiancee visa is work authorized, and she is flying through jfk and getting the stamp! So my question is what does she have to do when she gets her to work, and how long does this normally take?

Much thanks everyone, you guys are always really helpful :thumbs:

a holder of a K-1 visa is eligible for work regardless of a Employment Authorization stamp on his K-1 visa in the passport, or an Employment Authorization card.

Here is a relevant page from the Social Security Administration Manual. Please refer to Section C, Paragraph 1 that states that

a holder of a K-1 visa is "authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD. "

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/010020350

Don't listen to lawyers or anyone else---this information is directly from social security.

9/5/2004 met

7/4/2006 visited for 1 week in Russia (Independence Day!)

12/26/06 three week visit in the U.S.

4/6/07 He came to US for 6 glorious weeks

5/20/07 He returned to Ufa, RU

5/24/07 Mailed I-129F to NSC!!!!!

5/25/07 Received and signed for by F Heinauer, NSC

6/11/07 NOA1 (NEVER received hard copy)

8/23/07 Ramzis comes to America for another visit

10/02/07 Ramzis returns to Russia

11/06/07 NOA2 at LAST!!!

12/17/07 Received at NVC (at last!)

12/18/07 Sent to Moscow Embassy & New NVC Case Number

12/21/07 Received at 11:08 a.m. Moscow Embassy

1/25/08 Received packet from Embassy

03/07/08 Interview 8:00 a.m. Moscow Embassy! VISA APPROVED!!!

03/13/08 Visa in Hand

03/14/08 Flying to U.S. - Detroit POE

03/15/08 Our Wedding Day!

AOS Timeline

3/21/08 - Packet sent to Chicago Lockbox

3/24/08 - Packet received and signed for

3/28/08 - NOA1 received in the mail - EAD & AOS - check cashed

4/15/08 - Biometrics

5/5/08 - AOS interview notice received in the mail (will be in Detroit, June 12, 2008)

6/2/08 - EAD card ordered (CRIS email)

6/5/08 - EAD RECEIVED IN THE MAIL

6/12/08 - Permanent Resident APPROVAL! Green Card on the Way!

6/23/08 - Green Card Received!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Hey does anyone here know what you have to do so your fiancee can work when she gets to the USA? What does she have to do to be able to work? I know the fiancee visa is work authorized, and she is flying through jfk and getting the stamp! So my question is what does she have to do when she gets her to work, and how long does this normally take?

a holder of a K-1 visa is eligible for work regardless of a Employment Authorization stamp on his K-1 visa in the passport, or an Employment Authorization card.

Here is a relevant page from the Social Security Administration Manual. Please refer to Section C, Paragraph 1 that states that

a holder of a K-1 visa is "authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD. "

Don't listen to lawyers or anyone else---this information is directly from social security.

Got a 404 error on the link

The problem isnt the legality, the problem is finding an employer that understands the legality. Try telling a potential employer that they are wrong, dont understand the law, and by the way, heres the relevant documentation that I printed from the SSA website.

The employer doesnt have to hire her, and they are probably not going to take what they percieve as a risk in hiring a foreigner without a greencard. Regardless of what proof you show them otherwise. It is just easier and safer just to say 'NO thanks' than to research it to find out the real deal.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.