chapmart

travel after interview or oath

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My husband travels frequently in and out of the US due to his job. His interview is scheduled for May 2008. We are concerned about the time between the interview to the oath and to the time he actually gets an US passport. Will there be any time that he may not be able to re-enter the US, while we are waiting on the US passport? If they keep his geencard at the interview or the oath, will he get a document so he can enter with his Mexican passport, while the US passport is being processed?

02/06/08 N-400 filed

02/08/08 N-400 received

02/12/08 check cashed

03/08/08 NOA

03/21/08 Fingerprint

05/29/08 Interview - passed - told will be scheduled for June 25th Oath

07/14/08 Info Pass - told everything is good, wait for Oath letter

07/16/08 Received notice requesting more info(want tax transcripts)

09/24/08 Oath Ceremony - Postponed - thanks to Hurricane Ike

10/29/08 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
My husband travels frequently in and out of the US due to his job. His interview is scheduled for May 2008. We are concerned about the time between the interview to the oath and to the time he actually gets an US passport. Will there be any time that he may not be able to re-enter the US, while we are waiting on the US passport? If they keep his geencard at the interview or the oath, will he get a document so he can enter with his Mexican passport, while the US passport is being processed?

No, he will need to enter the US with a US passport. There is no document or anything else you can use. At one point a few people had managed (with some difficulty) used their Naturalization Certificate to enter, though pretty sure that no longer works with the increased border security.

You either will have to expediate the passport and wait the few weeks for that to come, or post-pone the trip until the passport comes. If not, you may attempt to postpone the oath, which then could be who knows how long until you get that again...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

No, he will need to enter the US with a US passport. There is no document or anything else you can use. At one point a few people had managed (with some difficulty) used their Naturalization Certificate to enter, though pretty sure that no longer works with the increased border security.

Actually, for land travel, the certificate of naturalization should still work, if accompanied by a driver's license or similar identity document. CBP says they'll accept it, and the state department and DHS agree.

For air travel, a US Citizen requires a US passport. There are no substitutes, and a foreign passport can't be used at a US POE by a US Citizen.

Passports won't be required for land travel until June 1, 2009; over a year from now. Congress has pushed this deadline back several times.

References:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/index.shtm#0

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation...e_in_proced.xml

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

If he has to travel on short notice (within 14 days), he can make an appointment at a passport office (there are 13 around the country I believe, the ones in the southern US are in Miami, New Orleans, Houston or Los Angeles) and get a US Passport the same day. There are companies that can provide this service as well, if your husband does not want to appear himself. Your husband's employer should have no problem with paying for one of these services in order to get a US Passport very fast. But it is true, once he is naturalized, he must enter the US with a US Passport only.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

• 2 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Thanks, lucyrich, your information is helpful.

We plan on entering Canada by sea (ferry) and coming back over land in two weeks. We'll let everyone know how it goes. B)

2008 - Citizenship

May 9 - Naturalization Interview in San Francisco, CA...passed!

Jun 2 - Received notification of oath ceremony

Jun 24 - Oath in San Francisco, CA

2006/2007 - Removal of Conditions

Nov 3 - Send in I-751

Nov 6 - Received at CA Service Center (according to Return Receipt)

Nov 9 - Check cashed by USCIS

Nov 24 - Receive NOA1 - One-year extension of employment and travel (notice date: 11/17/06)

Nov 29 - Receive NOA2 - Biometrics (notice date: 11/21/06)

Dec 5 - Complete biometrics at Oakland USCIS

Jan 22 - Two-year GC expires with little fanfare

2004/2005 - AOS

May 21 - Mailed AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) to NYC district office

June 8 - Checks cashed

June 10 - NOA from NBC in Missouri for I-765 and I-131 (Receipt date: May 25; Notice date: June 7)

June 14 - NOA from NBC in Missouri for I-485

June 23 - Biometrics appointment in NYC

July 8 - USCIS website updated for biometrics of I-485.

July 21 - Received notice of interview for Adjustment of Status.

Aug 30 - AOS Approval. Yay! Receive I-551 stamp.

Jan '05 - Receive two-year Green Card with 1/22/07 expiration

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.