Heracles

Sex Offender Sues Every Prosecutor In Indiana

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Actually statistically this crime is quite rare. What's not rare (or proportional) is the public hysteria and overreaction to it.

I prefer the UK / Australian approach where even one child missing is one too many.

Well it is... But then why are you behind things like this when it seems clear that if an offender still poses a danger they should, simply, not be out in society.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

What about a proposal such as this: When a sex offender is released from prison, they are watched (primarily Internet and general computer usage) and restricted in the areas they can go (i.e. no hanging around school playgrounds) for a period of 10 years. Once those 10 years are up, surveillance on them comes to a halt provided they have not broken the terms of the agreement, necessitated by their conditional freedom.

I think that would be fair. If a child molestor were to "strike again" he would be most likely to do so within 10 years of his release. Having a time limit on the penalty after release also reduces the overall cost to law enforcement (and therefore tax payers), since they wouldn't have to watch every sex offender for the rest of their lives (assuming they didn't reoffend). Opening up more resources would allow law enforcement to watch the sex offenders under the 10 year limit effectively, since it'd be a relatively smaller number.

Once again, this is all a suggestion. But it's an idea that might be a compromise between the two parties that want more "security" or more "freedom" and have little desire to budge on their stance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Actually statistically this crime is quite rare. What's not rare (or proportional) is the public hysteria and overreaction to it.

I prefer the UK / Australian approach where even one child missing is one too many.

i agree with that.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Well it is... But then why are you behind things like this when it seems clear that if an offender still poses a danger they should, simply, not be out in society.

And the reason I brought that up is because while living there I used to always get sick of the government jumping on any new issues and legislating against the cause, to protect the people. Whereas since living here I have seen the complete opposite where nothing is done. People are shot pretty much every few days in the 'nations capital' and it's just another "nothing to see move along" style response.

I cannot blame the law enforcement agencies because when you look at the article posted, in the first post, they are trying to do something but always face some sort of rights roadblock. The difference with places like 'Australia' is that the ALCU's opinion is irrelevant in these matters. The people we elected are the ones calling the shots and not the court rooms. I can send a child on a 100 mile trek downunder and the chance that she will get kidnapped is quite slim. If not at all. I wouldn't dare walk myself that distance here let alone send a child. And that is what is scary to think. That in such a scenario there is a good chance they will never come back or be seen alive again. That is not isolated or media hype. That is 2008 United States of America..

Edited by Boo-Yah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

i agree with that.

i really feel bad everytime i see picture's of a missing child... it does affect me :(

[/color]

Filed: Timeline
They may not currently present a danger, but I don't think that molesting a child is a one-time "lapse of judgement". These people are sinister and sick.

There are alot of ####### parents out there who are incompetent to shield their children from these people. That doesn't mean that the children don't deserve protection from these predators.

In the end, this law is about protecting children, not stripping rights away from child molesters

1984_movie_big_brother.jpg

The connection you're trying to make between monitoring child molesters and total government power is weak.

It actually isn't. If we become ever more tolerant to the circumvention of the checks and balances that we have in this country for a reason, then where does this ultimately end?