10 posts in this topic

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you have enough time to read up on it and follow the examples (but use unexpired forms) you can do it. If you lack time, then you could pay someone - its rather easy otherwise. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Of all the steps in the immigration process, the typical I-751 is probably just about the easiest to do without a lawyer. A change of address might be easier, I suppose.

Still, collectively we may know all about the ease/difficulty of the I-751, but we know nothing about your abilities and talents. Nor do we know about your financial situation. So we can't say whether or not you should use a lawyer. Some people can make careless mistakes that can cause them serious problems, so an extra set of experienced eyes may be useful. For example, if you've read the guides and you still think your wedding anniversary date has something to do with when you should file the I-751, then maybe you need someone to help you through the process.

Also, if you have an unusual situation, such as a marriage that's on the verge of splitting up, or some other situation where your proof of a bona fide marriage might be in question, it might be wise to consult with experienced counsel.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Of all the steps in the immigration process, the typical I-751 is probably just about the easiest to do without a lawyer. A change of address might be easier, I suppose.

Still, collectively we may know all about the ease/difficulty of the I-751, but we know nothing about your abilities and talents. Nor do we know about your financial situation. So we can't say whether or not you should use a lawyer. Some people can make careless mistakes that can cause them serious problems, so an extra set of experienced eyes may be useful. For example, if you've read the guides and you still think your wedding anniversary date has something to do with when you should file the I-751, then maybe you need someone to help you through the process.

Also, if you have an unusual situation, such as a marriage that's on the verge of splitting up, or some other situation where your proof of a bona fide marriage might be in question, it might be wise to consult with experienced counsel.

Totally agree with this response. Most people should not need help and this is the easiest of all the forms to complete. There are also threads in this area relating to what others have sent in as evidence :thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
RE : I-751 Application

Would you recommend using a lawyer to prepare this application?

Can you provide a link to preparing this application?

ie helpful tips

ie what to include

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated?

Thank you.

Why waste your money?

It's really easy to do it yourself and if you read on this forum you will find an answer to any questions you may have.

Good luck!

Hopefully you won't have to deal with Nebraska Service Center because they suck big time

I agree with others ..... it was very easy to fill forms ourselves . I was expecting them to be close to the original forms , but was not even close . My wife and I did everything ourselves , and just looked on here for help.

Good luck !

Filed: Timeline
I agree with others ..... it was very easy to fill forms ourselves . I was expecting them to be close to the original forms , but was not even close . My wife and I did everything ourselves , and just looked on here for help.

Good luck !

To be honest, I think it is just waste of time and money to hire a lawer to file immigration related application.

Nowdays, we can get whatever info that is helpful for your case for USCIS or Visajourney website.

Technically, only youself cares about your case, I do not think lawer is willing to spend enough time for your case and they only care about money.

I filed I-765, I-485 and I-751 all by myself after I looked through enought information through website of USCIS, however, if you can not read English, I would suggest you hire a lawer.

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

With the AOS, we paid an attorney $2000 to help us, because we didn't have a clue how to go about dealing with immigration. Now for the removal of conditions, we are going solo without an attorney becaue we are now more familiar with immigration. If you hire an attorney, you still have to gather all the info to give to the attorney to photocopy. Its definitely not worth it to pay an attorney to do something thats easy to do at home in my opinion.

Kat

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

I paid $1,500 for I-751 just because I did not bother to check the procedures. My lawer is great, but still my I-751 was prepared by paralegal (nice and smart but young girl). We all know that we need proof. Some proof which lawer suggested anyway was too late to get (travel tickets, etc-I actually never thought ot it as proof till too late and it was lost).

My lawer was confindent that affidevits are not nescesary (he has prob about 20 years of immigr experience and very good reputation). More financial docs.

The application per se is very easy. If I d checked this forum prior, i would send appl by myself.

Lawer's help might be handy only if were asked for interview (which I understood from my lawer are quite random and which I have learned from this forum could be abusive). If you get lawer at later stage (for interview for ex), it is same money.

Karina and Tomy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.