Manish+Manya

Question about Wedding process...

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi Everybody,

Sorry I posted this in a different forum hence posting it again under K1 Forum.

My interview is on 20th Feb and all excited getting closer to being my Fiance soon.

We have started planning our marriage date and have a question regarding the wedding process.

Our Situation

1) Me and my fiance are Hindu.

2) His family doesnt bother much about auspicious dates however they would prefer any Thursday (Saibaba day).

3) My parents want us to tie knot on a auspicious date.

4) And We both want to be together as soon as possible.

5) However my parents have asked me to stay with my sister in Missourri untill we get married. Because our culture does not allow live-in untill married.

Our Wedding Plan

Keeping above in mind, we were planning to get married within 3-5 days as soon as I land in US.

Since my interview is on Feb 20, I am planning to be with my Fiance by first week of March.

Our Issue

After googling around I found couple of auspicious dates. Though I have asked my Dad to find out some more dates from our PunditJi).

Auspicious wedding dates :

March 2008 - 1 Mar, 4 Mar, 11 Mar, 26 Mar.

After that till April 14 there are no auspicious dates (as heard).

Our Question

1) Considering the above dates, when should we get the marriage certificate?

2) Someone said marriage certificate validity is of 30 days which means getting married within 30 days of marriage certificate purchase.

3) Also heard that we may need to purchase marriage certificate 30 days in advance of marriage date.

4) Am confused now and would like to know process of getting marriage certificate and getting married? We will get married in Texas.

5) How much time should we count?

We have to plan my flight accordingly because I do not want to stay at my sister's place away from my Fiance for long. This process has tested our patience too much and when we are almost through we just cant be away from each other for any xyz reason. :cry: Help!!!

Thanks,

Manya

I feel it in my finger....I feel it in my toes ... Love is all around me... so the feeling grows .... !!!

Our Timeline :

K1 Journey

06-22-2007 : Received NOA1

12-11-2007 : NOA2 approved

02-20-2008 : Interview

02-22-2008 : Visa in Hand

04-16-2008 : Court Marriage

04-19-2008 : Followed by Indian Wedding

AOS Journey

05-07-2008 : Got SSN

05-21-2008 : AOS, EAD & AP Packet sent

05-23-2008 : AOS, EAD & AP received at MSC

05-29-2008 : AOS, EAD & AP notice received

06-17-2008 : Biometrics Done

06-28-2008 : RFE for I-864

07-11-2008 : AP Touched

07-16-2008 : I-485 case processing resumed

08-19-2008 : EAD Card production ordered

08-28-2008 : EAD Card received

08-28-2008 : AP approved

08-29-2008 : I-485 case transferred to CSC

09-01-2008 : I-485 Touched

09-02-2008 : Multiple entry AP received

09-23-2008 : I-485 Touched

10-10-2008 : Permanent Card issued by CSC

10-15-2008 : GC approval notice sent

10-17-2008 : Green Card received

11-05-2008 : Got driving license

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hi Everybody,

Sorry I posted this in a different forum hence posting it again under K1 Forum.

My interview is on 20th Feb and all excited getting closer to being my Fiance soon.

We have started planning our marriage date and have a question regarding the wedding process.

Our Situation

1) Me and my fiance are Hindu.

2) His family doesnt bother much about auspicious dates however they would prefer any Thursday (Saibaba day).

3) My parents want us to tie knot on a auspicious date.

4) And We both want to be together as soon as possible.

5) However my parents have asked me to stay with my sister in Missourri untill we get married. Because our culture does not allow live-in untill married.

Our Wedding Plan

Keeping above in mind, we were planning to get married within 3-5 days as soon as I land in US.

Since my interview is on Feb 20, I am planning to be with my Fiance by first week of March.

Our Issue

After googling around I found couple of auspicious dates. Though I have asked my Dad to find out some more dates from our PunditJi).

Auspicious wedding dates :

March 2008 - 1 Mar, 4 Mar, 11 Mar, 26 Mar.

After that till April 14 there are no auspicious dates (as heard).

Our Question

1) Considering the above dates, when should we get the marriage certificate?

2) Someone said marriage certificate validity is of 30 days which means getting married within 30 days of marriage certificate purchase.

3) Also heard that we may need to purchase marriage certificate 30 days in advance of marriage date.

4) Am confused now and would like to know process of getting marriage certificate and getting married? We got married in Texas. We got married in Dallas, the same day that I entered to US. The same day we got our marriage license and there wasn't any problem. In the marriage license, said that you must wait 72 hours to get marry but they put a paper where the judge can sign for "waiver" that period.

5) How much time should we count?

You can go or call to ask for a marriage license to your nearest office and ask them if you can get a marry license now with a copy of your fiance/ee passport. Maybe you can get married asap in the first Auspicious wedding dates:

March 2008 - 1 Mar

We have to plan my flight accordingly because I do not want to stay at my sister's place away from my Fiance for long. This process has tested our patience too much and when we are almost through we just cant be away from each other for any xyz reason. :cry: Help!!!

I hope this would help you.

Thanks,

Manya

Edited by malego77

Timeline

Thanks malego77.

My ma-in-law said that for marriage we may need SSN number.

Did they ask you for SSN number when u got married?

What should we tell them if we want to get married at the earliest even before getting my SSN?

Manya

I feel it in my finger....I feel it in my toes ... Love is all around me... so the feeling grows .... !!!

Our Timeline :

K1 Journey

AOS Journey

Filed: Timeline

Manya hon!!!

Check this link -

http://houston.about.com/od/weddings/ht/marriagelicense.htm

or this one -

http://www.brides.com/local/houston/article/2748

This is the address for the local marriage-license office in Houston

HARRIS COUNTY

Houston Main Office

Tel: 713-755-6405

County Building

Tel: 281-859-0685

M-F 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

Cost, $41

Don't worry, everything will turn out just fine and one day pretty soon, I will be sitting with you and your mom in law, sipping a cuppa tea :)

You will not need the SSN for getting married. Can apply for SSN after you get married with your married name.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Thanks malego77.

What should we tell them if we want to get married at the earliest even before getting my SSN?

Manya

For the imigrant person is imposible (difficult) to get a SSN if you have not got married yet (at least with K1 visa procedures). So, the SSN isn't necessary for get marry. Like tell DanielParul, you can apply for a SSN after get married. Good luck.

Thanks malego77.

Manya

For the imigrant person is imposible (difficult) to get a SSN if you have not got married yet (at least with K1 visa procedures). So, the SSN isn't necessary for get marry. Like tell DanielParul, you can apply for a SSN after get married. Good luck.

No it is not...you wait about two weeks (to get your info in the database) and one fine morning you go down to the SS office (we live in Houston, and wend to one of the busiest SSA offices here, the Downtown one) and present your information. A half an hour later, we walked out w/ the promise that the SS card will be mailed. Sure enough, it was sent to us and we got it two weeks later. My husband came on a K-1.

K-1s are eligible for SS cards...its just that it will have a red stamp stating that the card can only be used for work, w/ accompanying work authorization, but you are eligible and should be approved for an SS card after coming to US on K-1.

Good luck,

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

What yu are talking about is a marriage license. The marriage certificate comes after yu are married.

Each state has a slightly different requirement. Some are valid for 6 months, others for less time. Some have a waiting period, others do not. Some require a blood test, and some require a SSN, but it all depends upon the state law.

Just go to Las Vegas and do it all in 10 mintes any day of the week.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi Manya,

Justin and I live in Austin, TX and got married here :thumbs:

It's true what previous posters have said, the certificate is good 72 hours after issuance and within 30 days. I had no ssn, only passport with k1visa, and we had no problems. I'm almost positive both have to attend when you get the marriage certificate, since you'll be signing official paperwork.

After the ceremony, ask the person performing the ceremony if you can take the certificate back to the county clerk yourself, and when you do, get a certified copy. This will save you many weeks of waiting, and you can file for AOS sooner. the original I think took 4 weeks for us to get in the mail. If the person performing the ceremony still insists in taking it back himself, then just wait a few days after county clerk received it, and you can go to their office and get the certified copy.

Oh yeah, absolutely go get the SSN 2 weeks after she arrives! we waited 3 weeks so we had the marriage certificate and I could get it under my married name, this worked out well for us, but do get it as soon as possible.

I just want to add that I think it's great you are both showing so much respect for your parent's wishes :)

Good Luck!

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Thanks malego77.

Manya

No it is not...you wait about two weeks (to get your info in the database) and one fine morning you go down to the SS office (we live in Houston, and wend to one of the busiest SSA offices here, the Downtown one) and present your information. A half an hour later, we walked out w/ the promise that the SS card will be mailed. Sure enough, it was sent to us and we got it two weeks later. My husband came on a K-1.

K-1s are eligible for SS cards...its just that it will have a red stamp stating that the card can only be used for work, w/ accompanying work authorization, but you are eligible and should be approved for an SS card after coming to US on K-1.

Good luck,

-P

This is correct. It is also correct that one need not have an SSN to marry in Texas.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks everybody,

This certainly makes my next move easier.

With all the experience, support and advises available on VJ - I knew I will get my answer.

Glad to find all of you here.

Thanks again!!!

Manya

Our Timeline :

K1 Journey

AOS Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.