bradcanuck

Update on Credit

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you can get into Navy Federal (a co-op bank for Navy Military members and their families) then they are more than willing to give an unsecured credit card to those who don't have any credit history.> I got $1000.00 without even begging in credit :)

Then, once I got my Navy Federal MC and started using it.. then I got all kinds of offers from Capital One.. I called them at one point to see if they would waive the "one time application fees" and "yearly fees" for me, and they said they couldn't.. but low and behold the very next week they sent me a "no fee" VISA offer.. which I of course accepted, and voila I have 2 "US" credit cards.. Still haven't secured any dept. store credit cards, but it's on my list of things to do!! :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hey flames-I was hearing you, just wanted to clarify. btw, why aren't you out having fun on your BD?

Wife is away working til March!! And I haver studying to do. 6 hours of studying is enough! Time to sit back with some barley!!

and hops I hope

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Getting added to my wife's (USC) credit cards really was the best thing we ever did. Within 6 months I was getting credit card apps from all different companies. To date I haven't even applied for a card on my own.

My credit score is actually very good already because of this. This past summer we went and got a construction loan (we are building a brand new house) and we got to see our credit report and scores and all of "her" credit cards showed up on my report.

My score was suprising high (not as high as my wife's) and the bank said they had no problem giving us the the construction loan for the amount we wanted due to our good credit rating.

Edited by Waiting in Vancouver

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Just remember, the 'authorized user' won't account into the FICO score in the near future. It was supposed to start back in September of last year, but the Credit Reporting Agencies are lagging behind on it. I believe the only one NOT taking the 'authorized user' into their FICO score is Equifax.

Capital One, Orchard (usually secured) and Navy Federal (IF you can get in) are all great ways to get cards and start your credit journey.

Emancipation, once you have had your Navy Fed card for a year, thus your score will have a 'bit' of age on it, go for the Navy Fed Trifecta. You have a Visa (either nRewards or Platinum), then go for the Mastercard of the opposite of what you already have, and then their NavChek Line of Credit. That's why they call it the Trifecta...and it's pretty much guaranteed if you already have a card with them!

Also, if you want to know how to get rid of the 'inquiries' from your Equifax report, let me know, and I'll PM you on how to do it ;)

Folks, credit is like gold down here! If you have any questions, or are just curious about your rights, or whatver re: credit, check out http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repai...orums/index.php

They have helped me take my husbands scores from 562 (Transunion), 584 (Experian) and 504 (Equifax) in July 2007 to 645 (TU), 660 (EX) and 602 (EQ). Those were his scores just last week.

And if anyone down here is wondering what their scores are (IF you have had credit down here for at LEAST 6 months) buy your scores from http://www.myfico.com and use the promotional code mw01 for 25% Off.

I have been learning the ins and outs of US credit for over a year now, so if anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to try and help! :)

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.