mustang-sally

Driving in the USA

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have held a full driving license in the UK since about 1993. Had one endorsement in 2003 for speeding (57mph on a motorway where the roadworks were finished but speed cams were still up, dont ask!!!!) Anyway that is off my licence now, being over 4 years.

I want to drive in the USA as soon as possible and from my understanding I can for up to a year with an International Driving Document before I pass the USA test.

What are others experiences on this? I want to be legal on the roads but with minimum fuss.

K1

02/09/2007 I-129F Petition received at Nebraska SC

09/11/2007 Medical scheduled at 10.30am

01/14/2008 Interview at 9.30am Approved

03/13/2008 POE

04/22/2008 Wedding

AOS

05/23/2008 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP.           

09/08/2008 EAD card received.                         

09/15/2008 AP received.                                    

11/25/2008 Card production ordered

Removal of Conditions

10/22/2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12/18/2010 Green Card received

Naturalization

11/21/2016 Mailed N400 Naturalization application

11/29/2016 Application received

12/02/2016 NOA1

12/30/2016 Biometrics

01/04/2017 In line for interview

02/09/2017 Received interview letter

03/16/2017 Interview in St Paul, Mn - PASSED!!

03/16/2017 Same day Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I have held a full driving license in the UK since about 1993. Had one endorsement in 2003 for speeding (57mph on a motorway where the roadworks were finished but speed cams were still up, dont ask!!!!) Anyway that is off my licence now, being over 4 years.

I want to drive in the USA as soon as possible and from my understanding I can for up to a year with an International Driving Document before I pass the USA test.

What are others experiences on this? I want to be legal on the roads but with minimum fuss.

I think driving regulations over here vary State by State. If you Google the DMV of the State you're moving to you might get some info. Here in Massachusetts I can use my UK licence for up to a year, but that might be because they won't give me a driving licence until I'm considered a 'resident' of the State. Other states may give licences out much more freely.

Let us know how you get on.

Gillian

You do not need an International Driving Licence to do this -- essentially, that is a document which translates the information on your foreign licence into the language of the country in which you are driving. It is not a stand-alone document, and must be used with your foreign DL. Since your licence is already in English, it isn't necessary.

But, as Gillian says above, each state will have different rules about how long you can drive on your UK licence. In Connecticut, it's 12 months, but this varies from state to state. Googling is the way to go, and don't waste your money on the International DL!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Im glad I dont need an International Drivers License.

I have searched and found that if I'm a tourist or student in Wisconsin then my UK license is ok for a year. However, there is no mention of immigrants so I have emailed them to see where I stand, just waiting on a reply now. Hoping that I do have 12 months to get my US license sorted.

K1

02/09/2007 I-129F Petition received at Nebraska SC

09/11/2007 Medical scheduled at 10.30am

01/14/2008 Interview at 9.30am Approved

03/13/2008 POE

04/22/2008 Wedding

AOS

05/23/2008 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP.           

09/08/2008 EAD card received.                         

09/15/2008 AP received.                                    

11/25/2008 Card production ordered

Removal of Conditions

10/22/2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12/18/2010 Green Card received

Naturalization

11/21/2016 Mailed N400 Naturalization application

11/29/2016 Application received

12/02/2016 NOA1

12/30/2016 Biometrics

01/04/2017 In line for interview

02/09/2017 Received interview letter

03/16/2017 Interview in St Paul, Mn - PASSED!!

03/16/2017 Same day Oath Ceremony

I searched the internet for the state i am in and it told me that i could drive on my UK license for up to one year. But when i called the the test center they told me that the UK license was not valid in the state and that it could not be used. There was a lot of confusion, in the end i had to wait until i got my EAD then they let me take my test. As well as looking on google i would call your local test center to see what they say.

k37hm7.png

03-06-10 Mailed N-400

03-17-10 Check cashed

03-19-10 NOA received

03-22-10 Biometrics sent

04-09-10 Biometrics appointment

06-14-10 Interview Date

06-22-10 Received letter for Oath

07-02-10 Oath ceremony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Can I just ask what sort of thing people have been searching for. I imagine it's the usual 12 month thing, but I wanted to look up the rules for Iowa and my UK drivers license, but I'm not having much luck.

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Can I just ask what sort of thing people have been searching for. I imagine it's the usual 12 month thing, but I wanted to look up the rules for Iowa and my UK drivers license, but I'm not having much luck.

Here you go

http://www.dot.state.ia.us/mvd/ods/foreign.htm

The main site is http://www.dot.state.ia.us/mvd/ods/index.htm

Gillian

Edited by English Muffin

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Ah, lovely, cheers! I was on that page earlier (the first link) but couldn't understand the terminology. OK, so I've done a bit of searching about,

Permanent resident foreign nationals should bring their Permanent Resident Card (I-551). Permanent resident foreign nationals may be issued a full term Driver's License or Non-Driver Identification Card.

Does that mean once we're nearing the end of the AOS process and I get that I-551 stamp in my passport, I'm good to prod the local license place and see about being issued with a full Iowa license? I must admit, all this time I was assuming I'd need to resit a test and start driving in the US from scratch.

Stu

Edited by SMB x2

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Don't forget you need a Social Security number to get a DL, i came here in May 2005 and took my text Oct 2005 but I also if I remember rightly had to show them my EAD or some proof that I was here legally.

Crazy Brit

26th Nov 04 I29F sent to TCS

29th Nov 04 confirmation from post office that application recieved at TCS

8th Dec 04 NOA1

10th Dec 04 Touched

7th Jan 05 Just found out from this site that if your receipt number starts wac that is the California Service Centre

8th Feb 05 APPROVED!!!!!! bloody hell I am in shock

12th Feb NOA2 arrives via snail mail

24th Feb Got NVC number

25th Feb email from NVC case has been forwarded to London

4th March Packet 3 received

OH when oh when will I hear from the Embassy for my date for the interview?!?!?!

4th March Sent packet 3 back recorded delivery

7th March packet received at Embassy via recorded delivery

28th April Medical in Edinburgh

6th May 2005 Interview thank god!!!! A date at last

6th May 2005 had interview Welcome to the United States, I have my VISA approved!!!!!

23rd May flew to Atlanta GA

2nd July Married !!!!!

11th July sent of AOS and EAD

22nd July received NOA's for AOS and EAD

9th September succesfull with a walkin Atlanta for Biometrics

20th Oct had info pass for EAD, EAD issued for one year

4th May AOS interview Atlanta APPROVED!!!!

19th March 2008 Sent application to remove conditions

31st March 2008 received NOA

17th April 2008 Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Im glad I dont need an International Drivers License.

I have searched and found that if I'm a tourist or student in Wisconsin then my UK license is ok for a year. However, there is no mention of immigrants so I have emailed them to see where I stand, just waiting on a reply now. Hoping that I do have 12 months to get my US license sorted.

Drivers new to Wisconsin are required to apply for a Wisconsin driver license within 60 days of establishing residency.

From their web site.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.