Alex+R

Article about driver's licenses...help me out?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

although if i was the driving test examiner i woulda flunked nessa

:ranting:

:lol: why? I missed 1 speed limit sign and didn't go from 30 to 20, boo hoo, it was the second time I drove in the States and I wasn't aware the speed limit change every 50 meters. I learned my lesson and I never missed a speed limit sign again.

As for hitting your Camaro to the curb, oh well, again, I can make a mistake once, second time I drove the car, first time I parked it diagonal to the curb. It did never happen again and it won't ever happen again. I'm used to the car and the fact you cannot see the front of it and my miscalculation was due to the fact the front of the car is totally pointy, I was not used to that. I make a mistake once, I learn from it and I don't make it again.

Alexa, I think I told my story at that poll you made, about my wait for my DL. If you read that and Charles answer on this thread (with the exception of the part he'd flunk me) you have your story.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
hey alex! neil says that he doesn't remember the entire story so you might end up having to speak to me if his answers are lame :lol:

:lol: ok. :)

In Oklahoma, the requirement is to show legal presence. Beyond that lies the problem--what they will accept as proof of legal presence.

The only acceptable documents are those that have a specific expiration date.

We could show legal presence with the NOA from the adjustment of status application, but it doesn't have an expiration date.

Marlene got here in Dec 2005, and we filed AOS in Feb 2006. We had to wait to even get her a learner's permit until she got permanent residence in July 2006.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Luz is going to take the written test tomorrow. She only has limited driving experience in the Philippines so she will go on a learners permit for a while. She was not able to get to this point until she got her green card. Since she is still a conditional green card holder her license will expire the same time her 2 year card will.

The only problem I had with CA DMV (for the CA ID) was the fact that it took them almost 7 months to verify my legal status from USCIS (I was a K-1 that time and got married to my USC hubby). I called them several times only to be told that I did not wait long enough, and some reps questioned my visa. It was a bit of a stress with the runarounds and the incompetence until I got my GC in the mail and called up their Sacramento head office and fax a copy of my GC to their supervisor. I made sure I won't have the same porblems with the DL. So I called up the same person and told them that I am using my GC for DL application and I am applying in this particular branch/area. I asked the supervisor (Sacramento) to call this guy in the local office where I'll be taking my road test etc. to please inform him that I am entitled to apply, and that he should know more about K-1 visas, I-94s and all that jazz. The next time I saw him he was apologetic for the wait and the confusion, his. :devil:

But I got the DL in a fairly short amount of time, 2 weeks. Verification of legal presence was not necessary I was informed later on. I got a 5-year validity for the DL.

This brought back bad memories, sorry for the rant. Seems like I ranted.

Timeline
The only problem I had with CA DMV (for the CA ID) was the fact that it took them almost 7 months to verify my legal status from USCIS (I was a K-1 that time and got married to my USC hubby). I called them several times only to be told that I did not wait long enough, and some reps questioned my visa. It was a bit of a stress with the runarounds and the incompetence until I got my GC in the mail and called up their Sacramento head office and fax a copy of my GC to their supervisor. I made sure I won't have the same porblems with the DL. So I called up the same person and told them that I am using my GC for DL application and I am applying in this particular branch/area. I asked the supervisor (Sacramento) to call this guy in the local office where I'll be taking my road test etc. to please inform him that I am entitled to apply, and that he should know more about K-1 visas, I-94s and all that jazz. The next time I saw him he was apologetic for the wait and the confusion, his. :devil:

But I got the DL in a fairly short amount of time, 2 weeks. Verification of legal presence was not necessary I was informed later on. I got a 5-year validity for the DL.

Wait so, it took them seven months to verify your status, and once they sent the DL, they told you none of it was necessary anyway?

Wait so, it took them seven months to verify your status, and once they sent the DL, they told you none of it was necessary anyway?

Not necessary anymore, for my DL, they said, since they did the verification for my CA ID. My first application was just for the CA ID. And correction, it was 6 months of a wait. I miscalculated.

Edited by krakatoa

Sorry, I was so caught up with my disappointment/bad experiences with DMV that I had my words unclear. :) I read it too.

Ignore the cofusing part of my previous posts. What I wanted to say was, according to the supervisor, verification of my legal status was not necessary for my DL since they did it on my first application (for the CA ID) already.

Btw, can we read the article when you're done? I'm interested.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Check out this thread, Alex, about driving licences in Indiana. We have to have things verified through USCIS now and you can imagine the waiting times....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103046

Timeline
Check out this thread, Alex, about driving licences in Indiana. We have to have things verified through USCIS now and you can imagine the waiting times....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103046

Yeah, I read that thread! That's crazy. Waiting for months just to get your identity verified?