Alex+R

Article about driver's licenses...help me out?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi guys. I'm writing an article for school about the wait for driver's licenses when a new immigrant comes here on a K-1 visa or anything else without an EAD issued. (Or, in Michigan and a few other states, without a greencard). The odds of the story being published are not huge, but there is a chance. Real names would need to be used. I thought I'd take a shot by posting this in off-topic.

I would love to hear from anyone about the trouble they had getting a license, what they did while waiting for one, how they got around while waiting. I'd also like to hear from someone who got it right away.

Thanks everyone!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
PS you can PM me if you'd like. That would be great.

Do you say "that would be great" with the same tone the manager did in Office Space?

I imagined it that way, too.

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

In a modest town where honest people dwell

--July 22---------Sent I-129F packet

--July 27---------Petition received

--August 28------NOA1 issued

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

--October 10-----Completed address change online

--January 25-----NOA2 received via USCIS Case Status Online

Filed: Timeline

you can use Neil's story but they suck...they did everything to give him his permit and they were going to give it to him then their computers were down so they had to mail it to indianapolis where we received a letter that said he had 14 days to show his ead or greencard or else they wouldn't give it to him. well he got his ead on day 14 and I called and they said fax a copy of it and we'll mail it to you. I had to fax it like 10 times before they got it. #######? anyways there is a little more to the story but Neil still hasn't got his license because everyone is too scared to let him drive and his permit expires in may. if you want to use the permit story PM me I will give you details

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Timeline
PS you can PM me if you'd like. That would be great.

Do you say "that would be great" with the same tone the manager did in Office Space?

I imagined it that way, too.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you to not make fun of my wording. Mmmkay?

Timeline

PS Mr. NewKindaFeelin, what is your fiancee going to do when she gets here? Isn't Louisiana one of the tougher states? She can drive on her Canadian license?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
PS Mr. NewKindaFeelin, what is your fiancee going to do when she gets here? Isn't Louisiana one of the tougher states? She can drive on her Canadian license?

I'm not NewKindaFeelin, but it's my understanding that Canadian citizens can legally drive within the U.S. on their driver's licenses for a limited amount of time (how much is up to the state in question) before needing to trade in their Canadian license for an American one, if they wish to keep driving. It's the same for Americans in Canada, only there it's dictated by the provinces.

As far as Louisiana is concerned, I found this at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles. Since you're doing an article on driver's licenses, perhaps DMV.ORG might be of some use to you too. It seems to have a lot of information.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Andre's was all in steps.

They wouldn't give him one without a social security card. Wouldn't even give him a state ID.

They wouldn't give him a social security card without AOS.

So, for 3 months, he walked, rode a bike, or learned to take the bus. We applied for AOS in August. November 1st, he got his green card. Applied for and received a SSN. Up to the DOR we went.

All in all, it ended up being at least 5 months. It sucked.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

Do you think Andre would be willing to talk to me about his experience?

Edited by Alex+R

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

first trip i made to the leavenworth dl office, i was told she couldn't get one until she had a green card. knowing that was wrong, i called the area supervisor in mission, kansas and when he heard it was the leavenworth office, i could hear him rolling his eyes over the phone. he musta said something to them as the next time i went back there they were able to give her a test and a license

although if i was the driving test examiner i woulda flunked nessa

:ranting:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
C'mon Charles, Nessa should totally talk to me for my story. Eh, Nessa?

basically i've found that government offices, like the dl office and ssn, if they can find a way to say no, they will. even if you show them a printout from their own dayum website that says they should do it :ranting:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'd love to help you out, Alex, but I didn't have any problems either.

They wouldn't give it to me without a marriage certificate though - I had to reapply after we got married.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
I'd love to help you out, Alex, but I didn't have any problems either.

They wouldn't give it to me without a marriage certificate though - I had to reapply after we got married.

Yeah... thanks anyway. It's ironic that the only people who don't seem to have problems are those in NYC. Where you don't really need a car.