sweetmiri

right to deny because of age

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

^^ YES

The consulate in Morocco is a whole different ball of wax. It's really misleading to say that as long as you have proof of relationship, you will be fine, because that's not necessarily true in Casablanca.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Sweetmiri,

How are you?

i agree with the other Maghrebi posters above. i've heard some horror stories, but then there are couples that sseem to have no problems at all. There is a topic within the MENA forum, based solely on experiences interviewing in Casa. i have read a lot of good advice and tips from there.

Also, is your interview already scheduled? i noticed that your petition date is similar to mine, but we are still waiting for our NOA2.

:cry::crying:

Good luck. Check out MENA.

hz

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
^^ YES

The consulate in Morocco is a whole different ball of wax. It's really misleading to say that as long as you have proof of relationship, you will be fine, because that's not necessarily true in Casablanca.

Probably more accurate to say, "If you can convince a Consular Officer your relationship is bona fide, you'll be ok. I would strongly advise you to discuss the details of your case and and any concerns with others in the appropriate regional forum. They can help you prepare for the interview. If Casa allows the USC to be present for the interview, I'd highly advise that too. Even if they can only wait outside or nearby, I would think it would help. In that case, you would want to hand over the USC's passport with your own, to show they are in Casa with you currently.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

To the person who is 19 wanting to marry the 23 year old:

I am 18 and my fiancee (USC) is 19, and we have an interview 3 weeks tomorrow. I will of course let VJ know how the interview went, but I don't think our age will be a obstacle at the interview. We have a ton of proof of a bona-fied relationship, and even when we filed for the I-129F, I had my parents consent in the form of an affidavit sent in with the I-129F application.

Best of luck!

--------------------------------------------

I-129F Process:

2007/06/26 - I-129F Petition sent to Nebraska service center

2007/07/03 - NOA1 Hard Copy, and notification that it has been forwarded to the California Service center

2007/07/10 - Touch

2007/11/20 - Approved - NOA2

2007/12/13 - Petition received at the NVC

2007/12/22 - Hardcopy of notice that the petition has now been forwarded to the US Embassy in London.

2008/01/05 - Received Packet from US Embassy.

2008/01/11 - Medical examination

2008/01/16 - Received Police Clearance Record

2008/01/16 - Sent back out Packet to the US Embassy.

2008/02/26 - INTERVIEW APPROVED!!!!

2008/05/08 - Married!!!!

I-485/I-765 Process:

2008/05/22 - Sent out adjustment of status package.

2008/06/05 - Package sent back due to wrong address

2008/06/06 - Sent package back out

2008/06/11 - Pending notices received

2008/06/17 - Appointment notice received

2008/06/26 - Biometrics appointment - Appointment successful

2008/??/?? - RFE - Sponsor did not fill out I-864

2008/08/12 - RFE sent back out

2008/11/12 - Service request in effect.

2008/12/03 - No news on if they received my case back (RFE), no news on my EAD or AOS. Starting to get severely annoyed.

Filed: Other Timeline

At what point are you concerned about the denial?

If you are concerned about the stateside petition being denied due to age differences, that likely won't happen. All you have to prove to earn NOA2 is that you have met in the last two years, that you are a US citizen, that you both are legally free to marry, and that you intend to marry each other.

Any question of relationship bonafides, including cultural idiosyncracies about the age of a man and woman in a 'normal relationship' in the beneficiaries country, can come into play once the petition passes from the NVC to the consulate.

Learn about your consulate and prepare to deal with that consulates standard operating procedure.

I should like to add - what happens in London isn't good advice for Casa. Whenever reading questions of this nature, it's helpful to look for the OP's 'flag'. Reading about the patterns of other consulates is great for your personal immigration education. Advising people based upon your own situation, however, is not.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
:thumbs: as stated Casa is in another complete ballgame than most and even there it sometimes i think depends on the way the day is going for the interviewer........

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have read before that there is more scrutiny if the USC woman is older and the beneficary man is younger in Morocco and surrounding countries. I am not sure why unless there is a high level of fraud. In the philippines it is normal for there to be age gaps and theres not much scrutiny there over that. I happen to be 23 years older than my fiancee and it wont be a concern at our interview. I have no experience with the Moroccan embassy, and i wish you good luck. I think as long as your relationship is real it will prevail.

You might want to check on the mena board for that specific consulate.

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Timeline
I have read before that there is more scrutiny if the USC woman is older and the beneficary man is younger in Morocco and surrounding countries. I am not sure why unless there is a high level of fraud. In the philippines it is normal for there to be age gaps and theres not much scrutiny there over that. I happen to be 23 years older than my fiancee and it wont be a concern at our interview. I have no experience with the Moroccan embassy, and i wish you good luck. I think as long as your relationship is real it will prevail.

Chris

Yes, "man older" is a cultural norm in many parts of the world. Women older couples are more common now than they used to be but are still a small minority in most cultures, and an extremely small minority in some. So, in the middle east, such a "woman significantly older" relationship is going to get extra scrutiny of bona fides. The extra scrutiny would be similar in China or India and perhaps nearly all of Asia as well.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Chris

This hits the proverbial nail on the head....If the woman is much older than the man then there's more scrutiny....

Age differences whereby the man is much older than the woman is much more acceptable......

miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Age is basically just a number, if it will be denied, it will be denied when you send in the petition (first papers) But so far I haven't heard anybody getting denied because of age. Regardless if you are young or old.

There is a 12 year gap between me and my fiancee and I just got my package back from the embassy, all nice and approved :D

My wife is JenK on the forum

I am the one doing the trip :D

OUR VISA JOURNEY

12/16/05 My honey and I met online

04/27/06 to 5/14/07 We met for the first time in person

10/16/06 to 1/15/07 He visits for a second time

04/04/07 We get engaged!

05/29/07 K1 Application arrived at CSC

07/21/07 to 9/15/07 He visits for a third time

09/19/07 APPROVAL from CSC

11/16/07 NVC received petition

Petition is put under Administrative Processing

12/28/07 AP DONE! YAY! Off to the Consulate!

01/02/08 Consulate received and packet 3 sent

01/04/08 My honey gets packet 3

01/09/08 Medical Appointment *PASSED*

01/09/08 Packet 3 Returned

01/23/08 8:30 AM INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!!!! NOT APPROVED :(

01/23/08 Placed BACK on Administrative Processing

01/24/08 Sent consulate more proof of our relationship

01/28/08 Embassy receives the mail

02/01/08 WE WERE APPROVED!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!

LOVE YOU HONEY! SO MUCH! SOON we will FINALLY be together!!!

WEDDING DATE: 04/27/08!

AOS:

05/22/08 Package sent

06/02/08 Got all 3 NOA's

6/21/08 Biometrics

7/12/08 RFE: want 12 months of bank statements

7/16/08 mailed statements

7/22/08 statements received

and we wait...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
This hits the proverbial nail on the head....If the woman is much older than the man then there's more scrutiny....

Age differences whereby the man is much older than the woman is much more acceptable......

You must be a man :angry: .

While these relationships may be more highly scrutinized in immigration (understandable since it's a fairly new concept for some countries) does not mean it's more acceptable. Always the double standards. Unacceptable.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Timeline

While these relationships may be more highly scrutinized in immigration (understandable since it's a fairly new concept for some countries) does not mean it's more acceptable. Always the double standards. Unacceptable.

I agree with you that the emphasis should be on the extra scrutiny but the reason for the extra scrutiny is that in most cultures, a marriage between a woman and a significantly younger man is an uncommon and less "accepted" (by the general public) relationship. Shame on the unaccepting folks but there is a cause and effect relationship between the acceptance and the scrutiny. As such relationships become more commonplace, the reason for scrutiny will may abate in kind.

It wasn't that long ago that a marriage between a caucasian and a Chinese woman would have been hard to swallow where many of us live. Things change often because many don't like the status quo, but there's no reason to deny facts we don't like to be reminded of.

Perhaps the acceptance of international relationships that start on the internet will soon escape the "mail order bride" sneers.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Other Timeline

I agree with you that the emphasis should be on the extra scrutiny but the reason for the extra scrutiny is that in most cultures, a marriage between a woman and a significantly younger man is an uncommon and less "accepted" (by the general public) relationship. Shame on the unaccepting folks but there is a cause and effect relationship between the acceptance and the scrutiny. As such relationships become more commonplace, the reason for scrutiny will may abate in kind.

It wasn't that long ago that a marriage between a caucasian and a Chinese woman would have been hard to swallow where many of us live. Things change often because many don't like the status quo, but there's no reason to deny facts we don't like to be reminded of.

Perhaps the acceptance of international relationships that start on the internet will soon escape the "mail order bride" sneers.

Age difference usually only matters based upon cultural norms in the beneficiaries country. If it's not 'normal' in a country for a man to marry a much older woman, the relationship will generally be examined for fraud mostly on the part of the intending immigrant - ie 'using' a US citizen to get to America.

Age gap relationships are questioned sometimes due to plain old marriage fraud schemes - dollars in exchange for a USC spouse. In countries where this type of scheme is prevalent (Vietnam comes to mind) the age gap would be looked at, no matter which party in the relationship were older. All consulates spot-check for these situations.

So even though age-gap relationships are not looked at very closely in a modernized country like Canada, they might elsewhere.

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Chris

Yes, "man older" is a cultural norm in many parts of the world. Women older couples are more common now than they used to be but are still a small minority in most cultures, and an extremely small minority in some. So, in the middle east, such a "woman significantly older" relationship is going to get extra scrutiny of bona fides. The extra scrutiny would be similar in China or India and perhaps nearly all of Asia as well.

Hmmm....I wonder if we're in trouble, my lady has me by 21 months in age. ;-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.