teebar

TRANSIT VISA

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi guys,I'm a US citizen and travled to Ghana last Dec. 07 to marry my Ghanian fiance.When I returned home in January,I filled all the necessary documents for her visa.Her interview is scheduled for March 20th.Upon her visa approval,I plan on flying her here with a stopover in Amsterdam then continuing her journey to me in Cleveland.My question is,is she required to have a transit visa for the stopover in Amsterdam eventhough she has a valid visa to enter the USA.In case one is required,how do we go about getting one........Any information you good people could assist me with would be greatly appreciated......an afterthought...Would it be better to fly her direct to NYC then on to Cleveland ?

Thanks,

Teebar

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I have no idea about the transit visa.

Why not fly her straight to JFK with North American or Delta. Less stress and much shorter.

Also could you :time: so that I can add you to the list...thanks!!!

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
I have no idea about the transit visa.

Why not fly her straight to JFK with North American or Delta. Less stress and much shorter.

Also could you :time: so that I can add you to the list...thanks!!!

you dont need a transit visa when u re travelling with immigrant, student or work permit visa, except visiting visa,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think the answer is yes a trasnit visa will be needed

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Timeline
Hi guys,I'm a US citizen and travled to Ghana last Dec. 07 to marry my Ghanian fiance.When I returned home in January,I filled all the necessary documents for her visa.Her interview is scheduled for March 20th.Upon her visa approval,I plan on flying her here with a stopover in Amsterdam then continuing her journey to me in Cleveland.My question is,is she required to have a transit visa for the stopover in Amsterdam eventhough she has a valid visa to enter the USA.In case one is required,how do we go about getting one........Any information you good people could assist me with would be greatly appreciated......an afterthought...Would it be better to fly her direct to NYC then on to Cleveland ?

Thanks,

Teebar

Have you checked with amesterdam consolate I know I was paranoid about it because Im using British airways because I found a great deal and they said if he is from ghana yes he has to have trasit visa UNLESS he has a valid visa in his passport to to the US or canada and some other countries I forget. AND a ticket and itenerary showing he is only passing through england and has a connecting flight through. So check it out

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks,

Teebar

Yes, Ghanaians need transit visas, and if you are getting the visa based on having visa for US, they will need to apply for transit visa after the US visa is issued. Posting sect but link has more info.

Visa types:

• A-Visa: Transit visa for airports.

Residents from some countries require a transit visa when travelling through the Netherlands to another county. This type of visa does not give you the right to get into the country. You need this transit visa if you are a national from; Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Congo (Democratic Republic), Eritrea, Ehteopea, Ghana, Guinea, Irak, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalie, Sudan, Syria, Sri Lanka

http://www.justlanded.com/english/netherla...sa_requirements

Edited by We_Destiny

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Timeline

Thanks,

Teebar

Yes, Ghanaians need transit visas, and if you are getting the visa based on having visa for US, they will need to apply for transit visa after the US visa is issued. Posting sect but link has more info.

Visa types:

• A-Visa: Transit visa for airports.

Residents from some countries require a transit visa when travelling through the Netherlands to another county. This type of visa does not give you the right to get into the country. You need this transit visa if you are a national from; Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Congo (Democratic Republic), Eritrea, Ehteopea, Ghana, Guinea, Irak, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalie, Sudan, Syria, Sri Lanka

http://www.justlanded.com/english/netherla...sa_requirements

you dont need one, except if u re travelling on a visitor's visa, i travelled to canada from nigeria on student visa through KLM airline i didnt get one, and i have no problem at airport in amsterdam.except u want to go into the country, base only on stopover u dont need one.am sure of this. from experience. immigrant, student, and work permit, if u carry any one those 3 visa in passport u dont need transit visa.but if u want to exit the airport u will need aleast transit B visa.

Timeline
you dont need one, except if u re travelling on a visitor's visa, i travelled to canada from nigeria on student visa through KLM airline i didnt get one, and i have no problem at airport in amsterdam.except u want to go into the country, base only on stopover u dont need one.am sure of this. from experience. immigrant, student, and work permit, if u carry any one those 3 visa in passport u dont need transit visa.but if u want to exit the airport u will need aleast transit B visa.

Our AOS is being processed with the Nigerian doctors incomplete Immunization record and with no I-693A medical supplement, and our I-131 & I-765 have been approved, but I would never advise someone else to send AOS without the proper documents. It would be irresponsible of me. :bonk:

I am not doubting that you were able to get through without a visa, but it is required and I don't believe that people want to risk having problems. A student visa has to have a source of funding (you have shown the university and the embassy, that you can pay out of state tuition, room and board for a year in cash at least $20,000) is totally different than a fiance visa. My department issues I-20's and I am currently training to become a DSO, therefore I deal with students ariving from 53 countries yearly, and I would never advise them not to get a visa. Many don't and they still get through but it is a gamble. I remember the student that had to stay in Schipol airport for 8 days while my department expedited a visa for them (passport and application dhled and back to the hotel address in the airport) the cost was astronomical. There was also a case where a US citizen traveling with my dept to Ghana was able to leave the US and board a KLM flight but not the Ghana leg of the flight because of visa (they had a visa in passport but because of program delay visa expired one week before actual trip, but, they had a letter from a Ghanaian official that a visa would be issued in Ghana), KLM did not let them board. Spent two days stuck in Amsterdam again visa expedited. And there are many more instances when people have not had proper visas and have been detained and actually turned around, and sent back to their countries and had to purchase another ticket. IMO it is not worth the possible trouble to gamble at this point in the game. :thumbs: Once she has the US visa the Transit Visa is "guranteed" and only a couple of days for pick-up.

I would, as Zee said fly straight into JFK with Delta, or North American the plus is the EAD stamp which means SS # and driver license sooner. :dancing:

This is the link to the Netherland Embassy in Accra.

http://www.ambaccra.nl/consular_affairs/mo...n_you_require_a

http://' target="_blank">3. Do I require a visa with a travel document a third country?

Yes. Persons with travel documents for aliens and refugees issued by third countries always require a visa no matter what their nationality or which country issued these documents. An exception is made for refugees with travel documents issued by 16 European countries: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

Nationals of certain countries also require an airport transit visa to change aircraft at a Dutch airport, even though they do not actually enter Dutch territory.

Countries whose nationals need an airport transit visa

Afghanistan

Angola

Bangladesh

Colombia

DR Congo

Eritrea

Ethiopia

Gambia

Ghana

Guinea

Iran

Iraq

Nigeria

Pakistan

Sierra Leone

Sudan

Somalia

Sri Lanka

Syria

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

yes you need a transit visa, but must have US visa first and probably have to show proof of your flight itinerary. my husband passed through Italy and had to have US visa and itinerary before getting the transit. I am quite sure you have to have it to pass through Amsterdam.

To save confusion yes I would have her fly direct to JFK.

Timeline

I totally agree with the others. I would fly her direct on North American to JFK or on Delta to Atlanta. The advantage of going to JFK is the EAD stamp. The advantage of Atlanta is I have always found Customs easier there...

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

Yes she will need a transit visa most definitely. Make things as simple as possible for you both and get a direct flight to the US. My husband came to the US from Nigeria last November and I had booked him a flight with a layover in Paris not knowing anything about a transit visa. When he went to confirm his flight with his electronic ticket two days before he was to travel the airline told him he needed a transit visa. They never told me of this when I purchased the ticket. He had to show proof of US visa, his flight iteniary, and pay 100 USD, and all the worry with if we were gonna get it back before his flight left. I was going to change his flight where he would have a layover in amsterdam and they said he would still need a transit visa. I would say save your money and your worries and not go that route.

Good Luck :thumbs:

Amy & Ola

LOVE is in your heart not to stay, but to be shared

I-130

2006-Met Online!

3/2/07-Married in Lagos!

3/12/07- Mailed I-130 to CSC

3/19/07-CSC received application

3/23/07-Received NOA-1 in mail from CSC

5/31/07-Touched!

7/30/07-Touched!

7/31/07-Touched!- Could this be a sign?God I hope so!

8/01/07-APPROVAL-via USCIS email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/06/07-Received hardcopy NOA-2 in mail from CSC

K-3

3/?/07-Mailed I-129F to Chicago

4/9/07-Received at Chicago

4/11/07-Recieved NOA-1 Case being transferred to CSC

4/25/07-Received NOA-1 Case at CSC

5/31/07-Touched!

7/30/07-Touched!

7/31/07-Touched!- Could this be a sign?God I hope so!

8/01/07-Approval-via USCIS email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/06/07-Received hardcopy NOA-2 in mail from CSC

8/29/07-Called NVC was told my petition was sent to Lagos Cons. Aug.22, 2007 got my case #

8/31/07-Received NVC Approval Letter in the Mail

9/4/07-Husband picked up packets 3 and 4-Interview Date Set for Oct.31st, 2007!

10/31/07-K3 Interview-APPROVED!!!!!!

11/06/07-Pick up Visa

11/10/07-POE Atlanta

AOS JOURNEY

12/21/07-Mailed AOS to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

12/23/07-Chicago Lockbox received AOS and EAD petition

01/04/08-NOA1 received for AOS and EAD via mail

01/29/08-Biometrics!

02/19/08-Touched! EAD Card Production Ordered

02/26/08-Email from CRIS EAD Approval Letter sent out

02/27/08-EAD Card received in mail

02/28/08-Applied for SS#

03/01/08-Received AOS Appt. Letter in Mail(No touches or emails on this case)

04/29/08-AOS Interview! Approved!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

If it is just a connection in AMS then no transit visa is needed since you would

stay in the transit area and not clearing immigration or customs. If it is a real

stop over with the intention to leave the airport, let's say for a downtown

visit, then some sort of visa is required.

Timeline
If it is just a connection in AMS then no transit visa is needed since you would

stay in the transit area and not clearing immigration or customs. If it is a real

Nationals of certain countries also require an airport transit visa to change aircraft at a Dutch airport, even though they do not actually enter Dutch territory.

Afghanistan

Angola

Bangladesh

Colombia

DR Congo

Eritrea

Ethiopia

Gambia

Ghana

Guinea

Iran

Iraq

Nigeria

Pakistan

Sierra Leone

Sudan

Somalia

Sri Lanka

Syria

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

Filed: Timeline

Afghanistan

Angola

Bangladesh

Colombia

DR Congo

Eritrea

Ethiopia

Gambia

Ghana

Guinea

Iran

Iraq

Nigeria

Pakistan

Sierra Leone

Sudan

Somalia

Sri Lanka

Syria

u dont need a transit visa if u re just stoping to connect,we_destiny the case u cited is referring to who hold visitor's visa. when u re travelling on a student, work and immigrant visa u dont need on except u re existing the airport then u need transit B .if u doubt it contact any airline in ur home country or travelling agent

Timeline

Afghanistan

Angola

Bangladesh

Colombia

DR Congo

Eritrea

Ethiopia

Gambia

Ghana

Guinea

Iran

Iraq

Nigeria

Pakistan

Sierra Leone

Sudan

Somalia

Sri Lanka

Syria

u dont need a transit visa if u re just stoping to connect,we_destiny the case u cited is referring to who hold visitor's visa. when u re travelling on a student, work and immigrant visa u dont need on except u re existing the airport then u need transit B .if u doubt it contact any airline in ur home country or travelling agent

http://www.ambaccra.nl/consular_affairs/mo...n_you_require_a

Jeje: We will have to agree to dis-agree.

I would follow the rules as listed on the Netherlands embassy in Accra web-site. As indivisuals we are all free to do as we like. But as anyone knows that have had a layover in Amsterdam, they check your passports before you exit the plane and enter the airport. I would not let a $100 visa cause potential problems the cost of 20 phone cards, that is not a gamble I am willing to take.

I also hope, that if your SO comes from one of the countries listed above they will get the visa. :time:

Good Luck with your journey.

Destiny

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.