w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Should a strong grasp of economics be a prerequisite for being President?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

McCain, on Economics:

"I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated."

On November 26, 2005

"The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should. I've got Greenspan's book."

On December 18, 2007

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

McCain, on Economics:

"I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated."

On November 26, 2005

"The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should. I've got Greenspan's book."

On December 18, 2007

Basic understanding. But to be really good president, you need to be good in so many areas, which is rather unrealistic.

If the president is capable of finding people to work with that have a strong understanding of economics, that can be just as good.

keTiiDCjGVo

you can always have advisors on economics..i think a good head on one's shoulders and able to react under pressure wirhout personal emotions is key

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

I disagree. I think economics and finance is such a basic part of governance that any leader should be expected to have a strong grasp. Not necessarily strong enough to get a PhD, but strong enough to follow the conversation without a translator.

I disagree. I think economics and finance is such a basic part of governance that any leader should be expected to have a strong grasp. Not necessarily strong enough to get a PhD, but strong enough to follow the conversation without a translator.

Yep totally agree. It's definitely a big and important factor in what makes or breaks a nation financially. The same should apply to congress.

Edited by Boo-Yah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think he should be able to follow the conversation, but that doesn't mean he needs to know how to call the economy-related shots without help. As long as the president can appoint and listen to the smartest economists, I'm cool.

I think he should be able to follow the conversation, but that doesn't mean he needs to know how to call the economy-related shots without help. As long as the president can appoint and listen to the smartest economists, I'm cool.

It takes some knowledge to know who is the smartest and who just works for the most well funded think tank. That's my point, I think we agree.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I tend to agree, although someone like McCain is certainly intelligent enough and capable enough to learn what he needs to know about economics. Dubbya on the other hand...thinks economics is like a ball park hot dog, which then makes him thirsty for beer....Oh lordy!

...someone like McCain is certainly intelligent enough and capable enough to learn what he needs to know about economics.

What's troubling, though, is that he's been Senator for a very long time. He's even been on the Finance Committees for a very long time.

Why is it that he still claims to not know economics? Is it intellectual laziness?

I know I have worked for companies that have had managers with the attitude of, "I don't need to know what the department does, I just need to manage it". Not to my surprise, these teams almost always performed poorly.

Congress, the President, Mayors, Governors etc should have a basic understanding of economics and business principals. Unfortunately in reality they only seem to have the skill of spinning ####### to win votes.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
...someone like McCain is certainly intelligent enough and capable enough to learn what he needs to know about economics.

What's troubling, though, is that he's been Senator for a very long time. He's even been on the Finance Committees for a very long time.

Why is it that he still claims to not know economics? Is it intellectual laziness?

He's honestly saying that there's a lot about economics that he doesn't understand. Hell, even economists argue over what is sound economic policy.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Obviously... but more important is actually following the mandate given by the electorate, not private interests.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

He's honestly saying that there's a lot about economics that he doesn't understand. Hell, even economists argue over what is sound economic policy.

Interesting interpretation. I wasn't reading it that way. I was reading it as him admitting a lack of the basics. You could be right.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree -- a PhD wouldn't mean too much in economics unless someone wanted to teach. If they wanted to "work in the field" and get some experience, which might be of more value to a president, then an MBA would be preferred. ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

meet your new president

WalMart_Logo1106.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!