Stefan82

new, and really need some help

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys, My name is Stefan and I'm from Manchester, England.

I really need some advice on what type of visa I should apply for etc and how to go about it. I tried reading online and the different forms it says confuse me.

I want to move to Galveston Texas. I have alot of friends there now and I also got engaged to my girlfriend on christmas day. I met her when I went there last March. I have been 4 times since then, and I am heading back there in 4 weeks. I have friends who have told me they can hook me up with a job etc.

I know there is the K1 visa but the thing is, I want to get there on my own merrit...to prove I want to be with my fiancee and that I'm not just doin it to gain access to the country. I have seeked legal advice but they want nearly £2000 for the priviledge!! you guys seem to know your stuff so any advise would be gratefully appreciated!!

Hey guys, My name is Stefan and I'm from Manchester, England.

I really need some advice on what type of visa I should apply for etc and how to go about it. I tried reading online and the different forms it says confuse me.

I want to move to Galveston Texas. I have alot of friends there now and I also got engaged to my girlfriend on christmas day. I met her when I went there last March. I have been 4 times since then, and I am heading back there in 4 weeks. I have friends who have told me they can hook me up with a job etc.

I know there is the K1 visa but the thing is, I want to get there on my own merrit...to prove I want to be with my fiancee and that I'm not just doin it to gain access to the country. I have seeked legal advice but they want nearly £2000 for the priviledge!! you guys seem to know your stuff so any advise would be gratefully appreciated!!

The K-1 visa is for people in your situation. You are engaged to be married, so this visa allows you to come to the US for the purpose of marrying your fiancee and afterwards adjusting status and getting US residency. Read up on the Guides available here on VJ to give you a better idea of what is entailed in getting a K-1 visa.

Good luck,

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Thanks for the reply, but with the K1, you have to be married within the 90days correct? thing is, I want to be out there with her as soon as possible, but we want to aim for a Spring 2010 wedding (need time to plan and save) and we want to plan it together out there....I figured if I was out there by the end of this year we would have over a year to plan then. I only want to go the K1 route as a last resort.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Thanks for the reply, but with the K1, you have to be married within the 90days correct? thing is, I want to be out there with her as soon as possible, but we want to aim for a Spring 2010 wedding (need time to plan and save) and we want to plan it together out there....I figured if I was out there by the end of this year we would have over a year to plan then. I only want to go the K1 route as a last resort.

What you could do is apply for the K1, and get married within the 90 days with just a simple civil ceremony and plan for a big wedding later. The restrictions on the K1 are not going to allow you to come and stay here permanently for a year before you get married.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
What would my best alternative option be to a K1? I mean, if we disregard the fact of gettin married? what sort of visa would I have to apply for? I mean, so I am able to move over and work.....thanks for replying guys, your input is much appreciated :)

You would need to be sponsored by a company in the US to come and work here. There are deadlines and quotas for those kinds of visas. I think they are called H visas and there are some limitations, depending on which visa, about adjusting to permanent residency (I think, not sure).

Click for full timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Given that you are hoping to move there by the end of this year and you are already engaged, the simplest thing would be to have your fiancee file for a K1 visa for you. If you went over on another type of visa and adjusted later (if you did decide to get married in the future) you could run into problems as your case might be regarded as visa fraud since you are already engaged and planning to get married at this point. Of course, it could be that you don't decide to get married, or that circumstances change in the meantime, or that you want to give your relationship a 'trial run' by living together while you work there for a few years before returning to the UK to file for a K1 visa later on.

If your fiancee were to file for a K1 visa now you could reasonably assume that you would have your visa in hand by the end of this year and in the meantime work and save up for the wedding. You would have your interview date in advance by probably about a month, and have six months in which to use the visa - so you could plan a nice wedding.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Thanks alot guys, I am gonna discuss this with my fiancee, it does seem like the simplist option and like you said, with time waiting and such, by the time I get the visa, and I have a few months to use it, then another 3 months once there....we could well have a nice wedding all set to go. I am for this idea, I just don't want her family to think I am doin it to get there, but when I explain the issues I may end up coming across they will hopefully understand.

So my fiancee would have to apply for it for me?? also does anyone know exactly how much it ends up costing by the end of it?

Timeline
Thanks alot guys, I am gonna discuss this with my fiancee, it does seem like the simplist option and like you said, with time waiting and such, by the time I get the visa, and I have a few months to use it, then another 3 months once there....we could well have a nice wedding all set to go. I am for this idea, I just don't want her family to think I am doin it to get there, but when I explain the issues I may end up coming across they will hopefully understand.

So my fiancee would have to apply for it for me?? also does anyone know exactly how much it ends up costing by the end of it?

Here is the K1 visa guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

Filing fee: $455

Visa fee: $131

There are other things that are more specific per country: medical, police certificate, passport, passport photos, and other miscellaneous things like copying/mailing etc and then, of course, there is the flight over here.

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I would just go for a K-1 and not risk unneeded suspicion by coming over on a work related visa, just to get married later. Good luck to you! And welcome to VJ.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received