almaty

Wal-Mart announced Tuesday that it will chop prices between 10 to 30 percent this week on groceries, electronics and other home-related products

180 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
So true, I remember going to a local clothing store as a boy. It was the official place to get your school gym clothes every year. :lol: All the men working there made enough to support their stay-at-home wife and children! Amazing!

Loser! You are right. Big time losers. Because of a corporate giant that delights in tearing apart towns creating slave camps.

I'm not talking about Target or McDonald's. I'm talking abut the local lawn mower shop or hardware store. As some others have pointed out, it is not necessarily an entry level position. Some times it is Pa from the Ma and Pa shop that ends up working for the same company that shut him down.

I agree. Fifty years ago, a man could support his family working full time at the local hardware store. What happened?

And you know the funny thing is - some will answer that question with - "Well, simply go out and get specialized training or schooling." On the shortterm, that may be the answer for an individual, but if we were all highly trained individuals, who is going to work the blue collar jobs and how does the job market support a high percentage of the population if we are all high skilled workers? My parents were able to afford buying supplies at the local hardware store in spite of the fact that the guy working behind the counter was being paid a wage that allowed him to own his home and feed his family, even have health insurance.

Somehow we've lost our sense of the working class and have turned them into a disgrace....failures at not being able to climb up the economic ladder. The guy that worked at the hardware store for 30 years wasn't thinking he was going to someday become an aerospace engineer. He enjoyed his job and his life without ambitions of doing anything else. Somehow he's now looked as a loser...or failure.

Only by some, Steven. ;)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I could kiss you! Ahhh, well... on second thought hows about a high five! :lol: Your words are profound! :thumbs:

So true, I remember going to a local clothing store as a boy. It was the official place to get your school gym clothes every year. :lol: All the men working there made enough to support their stay-at-home wife and children! Amazing!

Loser! You are right. Big time losers. Because of a corporate giant that delights in tearing apart towns creating slave camps.

I'm not talking about Target or McDonald's. I'm talking abut the local lawn mower shop or hardware store. As some others have pointed out, it is not necessarily an entry level position. Some times it is Pa from the Ma and Pa shop that ends up working for the same company that shut him down.

I agree. Fifty years ago, a man could support his family working full time at the local hardware store. What happened?

And you know the funny thing is - some will answer that question with - "Well, simply go out and get specialized training or schooling." On the shortterm, that may be the answer for an individual, but if we were all highly trained individuals, who is going to work the blue collar jobs and how does the job market support a high percentage of the population if we are all high skilled workers? My parents were able to afford buying supplies at the local hardware store in spite of the fact that the guy working behind the counter was being paid a wage that allowed him to own his home and feed his family, even have health insurance.

Somehow we've lost our sense of the working class and have turned them into a disgrace....failures at not being able to climb up the economic ladder. The guy that worked at the hardware store for 30 years wasn't thinking he was going to someday become an aerospace engineer. He enjoyed his job and his life without ambitions of doing anything else. Somehow he's now looked as a loser...or failure.

As I was getting gas this morning, I was looking at the nearby strip malls and all the chains of stores....Patio World - there's a chain for patios??? It's crazy. The corporate mindset has forever changed the landscape of this country. We've been McD'd into oblivion.

I think you need some reading comprehension. I didn't say people that work entry level are losers. Someone that depends on an entry level job to support a family is a loser because it is irresponsible. Any entry level job isn't enough to support one person let alone a family.

Some of us have no choice, you know. How were my husband I supposed to know that USCIS would screw up his AOS so badly that he couldnt pull on his education to get a decent job? How were we supposed to know when I got pregnant that Id be forced out of my job 2 months early and lose all my income before he could get a decent job? My husband and I have no choice but to accept the crappy wages of menial labor paid under the table and live on it. Just because he takes on an entry level job does not make him a loser. Its the only way he has to support his wife and baby.

Filed: Timeline
I think you need some reading comprehension. I didn't say people that work entry level are losers. Someone that depends on an entry level job to support a family is a loser because it is irresponsible. Any entry level job isn't enough to support one person let alone a family.

Some of us have no choice, you know. How were my husband I supposed to know that USCIS would screw up his AOS so badly that he couldnt pull on his education to get a decent job? How were we supposed to know when I got pregnant that Id be forced out of my job 2 months early and lose all my income before he could get a decent job? My husband and I have no choice but to accept the crappy wages of menial labor paid under the table and live on it. Just because he takes on an entry level job does not make him a loser. Its the only way he has to support his wife and baby.

:thumbs:

Best of luck to you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It is very sad when you can't tell the difference between a highway stop in Ohio from one in Georgia. The same ####### at every exit. I miss the road trips where you received a little local culture lesson the further you got away from home. :(

As I was getting gas this morning, I was looking at the nearby strip malls and all the chains of stores....Patio World - there's a chain for patios??? It's crazy. The corporate mindset has forever changed the landscape of this country. We've been McD'd into oblivion.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

:thumbs:

Best of luck to you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We live across the street (well highway) from Wal-mart :blush: . It's so convenient.

It's not trashy where we are - it's full of tourists....

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Wal-mart is a hang out for trailer trash and illegals. :jest:

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well since most of the people at the Wal-Mart by my house are Puerto Ricans, the illegals must be those Brits...who even have their own "international food" section in the store.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I think I'll stick to Target.

you snotty uppity chopf##k... this week-end go to Aldi's. Big Lots. and Wal-Mart..meet interesting people :whistle:

The only thing Wal Mart is missing are the drive by shootings in the parking lot.

lol....and that happens allot farther south you go....of course, it is not gangsters..but bubba seeing a deer in the field next to the wal-Mart

note; poaching is wrong

Do some of the Walmarts still carry guns? If so, the customers could get in on that drive-by action ;)

I think I'll stick to Target.

you snotty uppity chopf##k... this week-end go to Aldi's. Big Lots. and Wal-Mart..meet interesting people :whistle:

The only thing Wal Mart is missing are the drive by shootings in the parking lot.

lol....and that happens allot farther south you go....of course, it is not gangsters..but bubba seeing a deer in the field next to the wal-Mart

note; poaching is wrong

Do some of the Walmarts still carry guns? If so, the customers could get in on that drive-by action ;)

in the rural areas they carry rifles and shotguns....and mucho ammo.....i get my hawk killing supplies there

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Are we still shopping??? :huh:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

do not know sister fracas

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

It depends on the area. Here in N. Virginia/ DC area the walmarts are dumps. The staff clearly hate their job and show it. Heck they are not even supercenters.

On the other hand, whenever I travel to Richmond VA I really enjoy shopping at Walmart. Same company but a completely different shopping experience.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.