sroberts3000

Direct Consular Filers

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, I am wondering if anyone who has filed directly with a consulate in Canada, could respond with your timeline, especially if you have already received your appointment date (but other timelines are fine as well). I have noticed that the "timeline" forum, here on Visa Journey, is exclusive to filers at the NVC in the US. I am wondering what the DCF timelines are looking like.

Here is mine

SR

SR

Timeline: For IR-1 - DCF

Aug. 28/07 I-130 delivered and approved at Calgary Consulate

Sept. 7/07 I-130 Forwarded to Montreal from Calgary

Oct. 10/07 Packet 3 Received in the mail (reglular snail mail)

Oct. 11/07 DS-230 Returned to Montreal (regular snail mail)

Oct. 15/07 Checklist Returned to Montreal (regular snail mail)

Feb. 11/08 Received email with interview date set for March 12/08

Feb. 20/08 Medical in Vancouver

Feb. 21/08 Received interview letter in mail with correct address on it - finally

Mar. 12/08 Interview in Montreal, Visa approved

Mar. 17/08 Visa arrives in mail

Mar. 29/08 Crossed the border at Sweetgrass, Montana: Set up residence at Williston, ND

April. 18/08 Green Card arrived in the mail

April 21/08 Social Security arrives in the mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello, I am wondering if anyone who has filed directly with a consulate in Canada, could respond with your timeline, especially if you have already received your appointment date (but other timelines are fine as well). I have noticed that the "timeline" forum, here on Visa Journey, is exclusive to filers at the NVC in the US. I am wondering what the DCF timelines are looking like.

Here is mine

SR

You have been waiting for 3 months to hear from Montreal? That seems long.

Timeline

Yes, I thought so too. In fact I have sent three emails because I had made a mistake on my change of address (put SE instead of NE) . All I got was "THE" automated response (promising me a response in 3-4 business days) and no other word has come. I can't even get them to confirm they have the correct address.

Not sure what to do? I am afraid I may have missed correspondence from them but they won't tell me anything. I assume that means I haven't missed anything but it would be nice to know.

SR

SR

Feb. 21/08 Received interview letter in mail with correct address on it - finally

Mar. 29/08 Crossed the border at Sweetgrass, Montana: Set up residence at Williston, ND

Timeline

I would keep emailing, at least twice a week. I'm sure you already know to put your case number in the subject line etc etc

Keep trying and let us know when you do hear back!

Timeline

Yes, I have been putting my case # in the subject line. It is disconcerting that I get nothing back at all. For all I know, I have already had an appointment and missed it. That may explain the long wait.

SR

SR

Timeline

You wouldn't be the first to never receive a packet late saying your interview is for jan 06!! One can just keep emailing, and phoning, that is if they are answering, and one can always get their USA spouses Congressperson involved. Being DCF, the USA spouse is in Canada, i would assume (bad to do) that one could contact the last State you were in, or the one u will be going to!! Could be an easy case for them to handle, which they like,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

See our timeline below.

03/29/2003 Our wedding in Canada

04/30/2004 I became a Permanant Resident of Canada!

IR-1/DCF

09/19/2006 Filed I-130

09/19/2006 I-130 approved!

10/05/2006 Packet 3 arrived with approval letter.

10/19/2006 Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

10/20/2006 Montreal receives Packet 3

01/23/2007 Everything currently on hold due to Adam Walsh Act :(

03/14/2007 E-mail from Montreal saying i'm clear from USCIS on Adam Walsh Act

03/22/2007 Got e-mail from Montreal that interview is May 22nd!

05/15/2007 Finally received interview letter

05/22/2007 Approved!!!!

05/28/2007 Visa arrived!!!

05/31/2007 Big move to the US

06/12/2007 SSN arrived

06/22/2007 Welcome letter arrived

06/28/2007 10 year Green Card arrived!!!

N-400

05/31/2010 Eligible to apply for citizenship

Timeline

We filed in Calgary but actually live in the interior of BC. My wife's parents (living in North Dakota) wrote to Congressmen the other day so maybe something soon.

Has anyone phoned the embasssy with any luck. They list a fax number on the letter but I don't have much hope for that either.

SR

SR

Timeline
We filed in Calgary but actually live in the interior of BC. My wife's parents (living in North Dakota) wrote to Congressmen the other day so maybe something soon.

Has anyone phoned the embasssy with any luck. They list a fax number on the letter but I don't have much hope for that either.

SR

There was a posting in the Canada forum about a week and a half ago - someone in a similar situation trying to get through to the consulate - they emailed they faxed then they emailed and faxed again, with no response. I can't find the thread now though.

They have a number to call but apparently it just has a recording saying - hey, we aren't answering this phone anymore.

Filed: Timeline

We went through DCF in Canada as well - took circa 5 months from sending checklist to interview. Keep phoning them, emailing them, etc. It is NOT strange for them not to contact you: you need to keep up the pressure my friend... they don't really give a hoot if we loose our interview because of their inefficiency :angry: .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.