BigCityDave

Should I hire a Lawyer?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Well, this is the place for support and I am starting to really need it. I am in for the long haul and it would just kill me if for some reason my future Hungarian wife was rejected her visa. Would it be a wise investment to hire a lawyer?

Thanks for the help.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Unless you have issues such as the police records, previous visa filings that went wrong etc., its probably a waste of money. Lawyers generally become just a middle man you have to go through to get answers

Timeline
Unless you have issues such as the police records, previous visa filings that went wrong etc., its probably a waste of money. Lawyers generally become just a middle man you have to go through to get answers

Well, as of now I have no issues whatsoever.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Unless you have notification from USCIS that there is a notice of intention to deny your petition I believe it would be pointless hiring a lawyer at this stage. You have already prepared your own petition so a lawyer would be unable to help you whilst you are awaiting adjudication. Best thing to do is relax and wait on CSC to send you a notice. If you have sent all the information requested and meet the criteria for a K1- visa then you should have no problem obtaining an approval. They are currently taking well over 150 days to approve petitions so you have some time yet.

Hi, Dave.

No, don't bother with a lawyer unless your case is notably complex. I don't gather that yours is. For a simple case, a lawyer is more likely to slow things down than speed things up, and they are completely unnecessary. Plus, I've seen lots of "horror stories" about people who hired lawyers and seriously regretted it. It's not an easy process, but if you read through what's available from the DoS/USCIS/VisaJourney, you should have all the information you need.

If you have $2,000 that you are aching to spend, though, I can send you a list of CD's I want! ;)

Just sit tight, prepare for next steps, and wait for approval.. Patience will pay off here.

Most importantly, don't forget to make time for your sweetheart with the two jobs and your college schedule !! :)

Hope everything goes smoothly! Good luck!

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Timeline
Hi, Dave.

No, don't bother with a lawyer unless your case is notably complex. I don't gather that yours is. For a simple case, a lawyer is more likely to slow things down than speed things up, and they are completely unnecessary. Plus, I've seen lots of "horror stories" about people who hired lawyers and seriously regretted it. It's not an easy process, but if you read through what's available from the DoS/USCIS/VisaJourney, you should have all the information you need.

If you have $2,000 that you are aching to spend, though, I can send you a list of CD's I want! ;)

Just sit tight, prepare for next steps, and wait for approval.. Patience will pay off here.

Most importantly, don't forget to make time for your sweetheart with the two jobs and your college schedule !! :)

Yeah you are right Jesse G, thanks for the advice and help.

Yes, even with two jobs and going to a full semester load at my University I somehow manage to find some time for my sweetie, sure is difficult at times though.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you want to throw away money I can give you my bank's routing and checking account number. You can address the transfer to either me or my husband.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Having a lawyer won't make your case proceed any faster. You're just going to have to wait, as hard as that is. Glad you come here for support! :thumbs:

Everything can seem so overwhelming at times, and with your school and work, I'm sure you're just stressing a bit. Take a deep breath, and focus on how wonderful it will be when your SO is here by your side.

Best of luck for a speedy approval!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Just wait and see what happens. The wait times are really long and I know that thoughts creep up about potential problems and you want to be proactive to avert any problems.

But I would hold off on getting a lawyer until you know for sure that you need one.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi, Dave.

Yeah you are right Jesse G, thanks for the advice and help.

Yes, even with two jobs and going to a full semester load at my University I somehow manage to find some time for my sweetie, sure is difficult at times though.

Dave,

For the sake of your relationship and future happiness, you really need to find a way to chill out. There's nothing at all about your case, from the extensive information you've provided here, that would be cause for worry or concern beyond any other case. You're freaking out. That can't possibly be good for your relationship. NOA1 to NOA2 is the toughest time because it's a total black hole. Take heart from those who have preceded you through the process and find ways to build your relationship. Keep the faith. Conquer the fear.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Pushbrk and everyone

You're all right and there is no doubt about it. I am freaking out a little bit, things have just been getting to my head lately. Thanks for the advice and help guys. Nobody else understands what this is like besides you guys. I mean my friends have no idea what I am talking about when I mention k1 and all that #######. This is the only real place I can go to seek comfort and help.

I really appreciate it.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Hang in there Dave (F)

You are in no way alone.

Focus on your relationship, work, study hard in school (so awesome btw) and plan your future with the woman you love.

Things will happen when they happen.

Best of luck to you!!! :)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Now despite what I said previously I may hire a lawyer in the future. I'm awaiting an noa1 from my second application (my first one went missing from USCIS) and after nearly two weeks i still have no noa1 (and noa1 wait times are currently about 4 days). My fiance is visiting on a VWP in a few months, and if my case is lost we may get married here and immediately adjust status. I'll probably need to a lawyer to help prove that she had not intended to immigrate on VWP and that intention changed after we discovered the second file was lost.

That being said, i'm probably overreacting and they are probably confirming that i did in fact send an application in sept. before they issue my notice.

Filed: Timeline
Hang in there Dave (F)

You are in no way alone.

Focus on your relationship, work, study hard in school (so awesome btw) and plan your future with the woman you love.

Things will happen when they happen.

Best of luck to you!!! :)

Don't wanna be a tag-a-long, but this says it all....to all of us in wait!!

I am finished...when I am dead

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
I fully agree with the other posts. We've had our share of lawyer troubles. PM me if you need more information, but the bottom line is, do not hire a lawyer if your case is straight forward :no:

In every difficulty lies an island of opportunity.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.