Dog leash goths 'hounded off bus'

43 posts in this topic

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Well the comment wasn't mean't to be taken particularly seriously. As it happens I have some friends in the UK (met through one of my old jobs) who were into the goth lifestyle. I used to hang out with some of them in Camden. Yes, they were nice people; but no, I do not get the whole dressing in black thing; or the music for that matter. Has nothing to do with the way I feel about them personally.

Of course, none of them led their SO's around on a leash in public... but lets face it; you have to be in a subculture of some sort to do something like that.

Ahh Camden. Remember it well! :D

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
Well the comment wasn't mean't to be taken particularly seriously. As it happens I have some friends in the UK (met through one of my old jobs) who were into the goth lifestyle. I used to hang out with some of them in Camden. Yes, they were nice people; but no, I do not get the whole dressing in black thing; or the music for that matter. Has nothing to do with the way I feel about them personally.

Of course, none of them led their SO's around on a leash in public... but lets face it; you have to be in a subculture of some sort to do something like that.

Just like I don't get how some people can listen to rap, reggae or Rnb. Everyone has their own preferences. 30 seconds of reggae makes me want to throw up ;)

Wearing colors makes me feel weird... but maybe that's just because I'm used to wearing black all the time.

And I have a job too. They never said anything to me about how I looked (but I usually don't wear too heavy makeup and strange clothes at work). And yes, all the goths I know have a job. In information technology, music, education, etc.

And about the leash (since it's the subject), whatever they want to do, as long as they don't harm anyone, that's ok. she's on a leash, she's not going to bite anybody! :P

Cecile

Edited by Cecile and Bryan

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think there's a certain expectation of conformity in our society. People dress different, listen to different music - sure that's understandable - but at the end of the day everyone has to reach a compromise with that - in terms of how people are generally expected to behave. There's nothing to stop a person allowing themselves to be lead around on a leash in public, but at the same time you can't be too surprised if people make value judgements about it.

Of course someone who goes in for that sort of thing probably doesn't care overmuch about what anyone else thinks, and there's no reason why they should... Of course if you turn up for job interviews dressed like the folks in the article - you can't be too surprised if you don't get the position.

Its not really a personal thing - I don't really go in for any subcultures - I find the whole lifestyle construction a bit fake.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't really give a damn what people do, so long as it doesn't affect me (or my family) in a negative fashion. If they want to dress up "like the Crow" or whatever, that's fine by me. The moment any individual begins to adversely affect my family and I is when the trouble begins -- and that has nothing to do with "goths" since it goes for anyone.

However, since this article is about that "goth" couple, I really do have to wonder: why didn't they stop and think that perhaps taking public transport, while dressed up in outfits that are considered "outside the norm," would illicit a poor reaction?

It seems to me that they were merely looking for attention. The reason I say this is because if they had wanted to travel somewhere (and get there without problems), they would've dressed a little more appropriately. Furthermore, they weren't going to a costume or "goth" party, so they really had no reason to be dressed that way -- other than to seek attention, of course.

I know some people on here might suggest that this couple was only doing what they wanted and were comfortable with as friends and lovers. That's fine. The issue isn't what they were comfortable with, but what the other people would be comfortable with on the bus, including the driver. They were using public transportation and therefore must not only abide the rules that go with it, but realize that others may not share their unique taste in clothes and relationship style. If they want to travel as they see fit, they could use their own vehicle (although it seems unlikely they own one, since they probably wouldn't be using the bus if they did).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
just found a piccie of the pair.... I honestly think the whole thing is silly, they hardly look dangerous... :rolleyes:

goth.jpg

I imagined they were emo/goth people.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: Timeline
I think there's a certain expectation of conformity in our society. People dress different, listen to different music - sure that's understandable - but at the end of the day everyone has to reach a compromise with that - in terms of how people are generally expected to behave. There's nothing to stop a person allowing themselves to be lead around on a leash in public, but at the same time you can't be too surprised if people make value judgements about it.

Of course someone who goes in for that sort of thing probably doesn't care overmuch about what anyone else thinks, and there's no reason why they should... Of course if you turn up for job interviews dressed like the folks in the article - you can't be too surprised if you don't get the position.

Its not really a personal thing - I don't really go in for any subcultures - I find the whole lifestyle construction a bit fake.

D and I always found it ironic that many 'non conformists' then turn to conform to something else. Especially when they're crowding around the city centres in groups of 10 or more, D will lean over and say 'ahhh, lookit all the individuals'

:lol:

That's tongue in cheek btw...neither of us really care who dresses in spiked collars and the like. And D was known to have a mowhawk or two back in the day.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have a friend who was (and is) heavily into the Sex Pistols. He's 31 and still dresses in leather jackets with spikes across the shoulders and up until he started to lose his hair had (and presumably would still have) a Mohawk. He's probably the last and only punk-style person I've seen in my neck of the woods.

Still the groups of Goth kids are rather funny - I still have to laugh at the folks who still wear all-Nirvana merchandise, even though they were only 3 or 4 when Kurt Cobain shot himself.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

This couple claims that leashing is a sign of trust. #######?? I keep my dog on a leash sometimes BECAUSE I can't trust that he'll run off or get hit by a car. Trust?? Come on. if anything its a sign of mistrust. Sounds like they are both suffering from low self esteem. Where are their fathers???

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Other Timeline

It is a trust thing. If you read the article and how the man talks about their relationship, they share a dominant/submissive relationship. He takes care of her, puts out her clothes, cleans up after her, and leads her around by a leash. She TRUSTS that he will take care of her and not lead her into the path of an oncoming bus. She's not a dog. She's a human with a leash on.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

This couple claims that leashing is a sign of trust. #######?? I keep my dog on a leash sometimes BECAUSE I can't trust that he'll run off or get hit by a car. Trust?? Come on. if anything its a sign of mistrust. Sounds like they are both suffering from low self esteem. Where are their fathers???

Are you suggesting that only children of single mother families have offspring who have low self esteem and further that only those with low self esteem adopt alternative lifestyles?

Just because something doesn't appeal to me I don't automaticaly assume that it's wrong or bad. It appears to me that a lot of those who embrace conformity are a little afraid of things that don't conform.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

There are all kinds of reasons why someone might want to dress/behave differently than the accepted norms including the reason Lisa D suggested, that it's an 'alternative' uniform for them to hide behind.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Whats up with the collar? I use a choke chain! :P

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow