no name

Dallas suburb bans rentals by illegal immigrants

19 posts in this topic

I think as long as there are US citizens who are homeless with children, these available rentals should be filled with them. I mean, the government (USC tax dollars) pays to support the needy anyway. So, why not prioritize eligibility? I have to say, if you're not a legal resident...you can't rent. You can buy. but not rent. Buying property here automatically means you're paying taxes on it.

You are paying property taxes as a renter as well, its just part of your overall rent. At least in Minnesota, the renter is credited as the one paying the property tax, not the landlord.

You have to be careful of your definition of legal resident. There are people who come here as non-immigrants for months or years that may be interested in renting an apartment instead of staying in a hotel.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
You have to be careful of your definition of legal resident. There are people who come here as non-immigrants for months or years that may be interested in renting an apartment instead of staying in a hotel.

They would be documented and able to produce a visa to prove they are here legally.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

I really would like to see how things like these get implemented on the ground. What is their definition of a legal resident? Does that include those who are still in "transition" while their applications are pending at the USCIS? What kind of documents are they accepting? Are they going to provide training to people in the real estate business (whether sellers or landlords) on what documents to ask for and how to determine whether they are real or not?

Reason for my skepticism is our own experience of how a local government office can botch even the most well-intentioned policies.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

I was completely floored when I asked my apartment complex if my fiance needed any legal paperwork to be put on the lease...and they looked at me, puzzled, before saying no...

Which explains the family of 12 living in my building (in a two bedroom apt., no less)...which in my county is ALSO illegal...

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...