pattilou47

k-1 or no K-1

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My financee and I have retained a lawyer, and have also received our noa1

Now I heard from a co-worker (whose relative has done this same thing) that all I have to do is go over to his country (London) marry him, then go to the American Embassy over in London, and then be able to bring him back over here with me........

Is this true ? And if we go this route then what happens ???? (our K-1 is already sent )

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,

Patti and Steve

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Now I heard from a co-worker (whose relative has done this same thing) that all I have to do is go over to his country (London) marry him, then go to the American Embassy over in London, and then be able to bring him back over here with me........

Is this true ? And if we go this route then what happens ???? (our K-1 is already sent )

Thanks,

Patti and Steve

Not true at all..... Nothing is quick anymore ... to go to the consulate and apply directly you (the USC) must have legal residence in the country for a minimum of 6 months....

YMMV

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks,

Patti and Steve

nope... if you go to london and marry him he will not be able to come with you. He will be stuck in england... while your petitions finalize.... your friend is gravely WRONG and is not a lawyer.. Best advise i can give you is listen to your lawyer that you hired cause he or she actually knows what he or she is talking about...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
all I have to do is go over to his country (London) marry him

London is a country? :blink: Maybe I need a refresher course in geography :P

:lol: Good one ;)

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Wow, that shows why you shouldn't listen to friends and only to us. ;) It is possible for you to go to England and marry your chap, but he still won't be able to enter the US without a visa and it wouldn't be a K1 in that case since he wouldn't be a fiance. i think it's a K3 but someone will confirm that. It seems that both visas take about as long as each other. (again someone may confirm this)

However, while waiting for his K1-Visa he can vist you, but only for the normal time (90 days) and has to prove that he has intention on returning to England. (Return ticket)

I did the same thing. Applied for K1 and travelled to the US while waiting and immigration asked to see my return ticket. They will want some proof, or at least convincing that he is not planning on becoming illegal. You also need documentation showing the K1 process is underway.

So, he's not REALLY stuck in England until the visa comes through, but he can't move to the US until he gets it.

Take a look at my (and other) timelines. You have to be patient.

All posts are based on my experience and the law may have changed, or situations may be different, any information provided should be taken as a guideline and not as fact.

VISA: K1

Check My Timeline for full details

Time from sending I-129F to I-485 approval 448 days!

-----------------------------------------

I-751 Sent 2007-01-11

I-751 Received at NSC 2007-01-17

NOA Received: 2007-02-02

Biometric Interview: 2007-02-15

Touched 2007-03-31

InfoPass 2007-01-22 (No additional news)

InfoPass 2007-03-18 I-551 (12 month) stamp

Case Transfer to CSC 2008-04-02

RFE 2008-04-11

Card Ordered 2008-05-14

Card Received 2008-06-01

Sorry, just to clarify, he will need to get an AP (Advance parole) while waiting for his visa in order to travel.

All posts are based on my experience and the law may have changed, or situations may be different, any information provided should be taken as a guideline and not as fact.

VISA: K1

Check My Timeline for full details

Time from sending I-129F to I-485 approval 448 days!

-----------------------------------------

I-751 Sent 2007-01-11

I-751 Received at NSC 2007-01-17

NOA Received: 2007-02-02

Biometric Interview: 2007-02-15

Touched 2007-03-31

InfoPass 2007-01-22 (No additional news)

InfoPass 2007-03-18 I-551 (12 month) stamp

Case Transfer to CSC 2008-04-02

RFE 2008-04-11

Card Ordered 2008-05-14

Card Received 2008-06-01

Sorry, just to clarify, he will need to get an AP (Advance parole) while waiting for his visa in order to travel.

:blink::huh: no, he will not, if he lives in the UK and has not been arrested / convicted, he is free to travel to the USA on the VWP, he can come and go the the USA as many times has he likes, but must not stay in the USA beyond 90 days at a time on each visit. The Advanced Parole is for when he lives here once he has been issued his K1 visa, not the other way round !!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

:blink::huh: no, he will not, if he lives in the UK and has not been arrested / convicted, he is free to travel to the USA on the VWP, he can come and go the the USA as many times has he likes, but must not stay in the USA beyond 90 days at a time on each visit. The Advanced Parole is for when he lives here once he has been issued his K1 visa, not the other way round !!!

Personally I think the DCF is quicker, if you can do it that way DO IT.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Personally I think the DCF is quicker, if you can do it that way DO IT.

I guess it's quite clear that DCF is not an option here, like fwaguy pointed out above, since the petitioner is not residing in England.

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Yes, he would have to go live there, which could still be quicker.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Thanks,

Patti and Steve

Hahahahahaha!!

Proving yet again that far too many misconceptions exist about the ease and efficiency of the US immigration system...this isn't even REMOTELY true.

You could move to the UK, marry him, wait six months, file an I-130, and then go through the DCF process (takes another 4-6 months), but that's the closest thing and it does require that the US citizen has to live in the UK as well...a lot less convenient than described!

And if we go this route then what happens ???? (our K-1 is already sent )

Have you sent this off ??? :blink:

If you have, don't cancel it, stay with it as you will be waisting money if you cancel it, stick with it now and wait it out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.