Sign in to follow this  
Don_Joy's Prince

Do you support for Voter ID laws?

80 posts in this topic

80% Believe Voters Should Be Required to Show Photo ID

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A recent Rasmussen Reports telephone survey found 80% of voters believe everyone should be required to show photo identification to vote. Only 13% disagree.

Today the Supreme Court will hear arguments on the constitutionality of an Indiana law, passed in 2005, that requires individuals to present photo identification when voting. Some segments of the population feel this law discriminates against those who are less likely to carry driver’s licenses or passports, such as the elderly, poor, disabled and homeless.

Those who support the law believe it preserves the integrity of the election process and eliminates voting fraud.

In the same telephone survey, 18% of voters believe that requiring photo ID unfairly discriminates against some segments of the population. Seventy-two percent (72%) disagree.

To measure the impact of that argument against requiring voter ID, Rasmussen Reports first asked voters about their views on the subject. Then, the question was asked about whether requiring ID would unfairly discriminate. Following that, we asked a second question about whether the choice before the Supreme Court. After hearing the objections, 77% believe the Court should rule that states have the right to require photo ID of voters. Just 16% disagree.

Two years ago, 77% of voters agreed with laws requiring photo ID to vote.

When it comes to concern about voting fraud, 17% say large numbers of legitimate voters are prevented from voting. A slightly larger number, 23%, believe that a large number of ineligible people are allowed to vote.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_con...o_show_photo_id

It only makes sense to make sure you are entitled to vote before you vote. Any illegal votes disenfranchises a legitimate voters vote.

My beloved Joy is here, married and pregnant!

Baby due March 28, 2009

There are bigger issues with voter fraud than voters showing IDs.

Most touch screen voting systems lack verifiability. So someone could tamper with or misuse a machine due to lack of training, and skew the results of an election. And you would likely never know.

keTiiDCjGVo

Which segments of the population would be unfairly discriminated against? Who doesn't have some sort of photo id? How can you live your life without some kind of photo identification? I think that's B.S. Of course you should have to show id to vote.

Which segments of the population would be unfairly discriminated against? Who doesn't have some sort of photo id? How can you live your life without some kind of photo identification? I think that's B.S. Of course you should have to show id to vote.

A lot of my clients have no photo ID. I'm against this also, and completely agree that voting machines are the bigger issue.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Ideally you should show a voter ID. The question over this issue, from what I understand, is that many (typically poor) people don't have photo ID's and can't afford the administrative fees to pay for them.

It's also been suggested that there is no evidence of voter fraud by impersonation, though how this is determined is anyone's guess.

You shouldn't be able to register to vote unless you can prove citizenship, IMO. I know when I registered they didn't ask me for any documentation whatsoever. I just wrote my name and my SSN. I think high school student body president elections are more tightly run.

Ideally you should show a voter ID. The question over this issue, from what I understand, is that many (typically poor) people don't have photo ID's and can't afford the administrative fees to pay for them.

Well then, let's fix that. Here in MA a state ID is only $15. Why not just make them free?

Well then, let's fix that. Here in MA a state ID is only $15. Why not just make them free?

:thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

The problem, as I understand it, is that the birth certificate that is required to obtain a state ID is not free. Many of my clients (homeless) do not have any ID whatsoever. No birth certificate, no driver's license, no bank cards - nothing. In terms of voting, some of them are ex-felons who are barred from voting anyway, which makes no sense to me. My clienst are, on the whole, trying to get back into becoming a productive member of society, but in so many ways they are being left outside.

The problem, as I understand it, is that the birth certificate that is required to obtain a state ID is not free. Many of my clients (homeless) do not have any ID whatsoever. No birth certificate, no driver's license, no bank cards - nothing. In terms of voting, some of them are ex-felons who are barred from voting anyway, which makes no sense to me. My clienst are, on the whole, trying to get back into becoming a productive member of society, but in so many ways they are being left outside.

why does that make no sense to you?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

why does that make no sense to you?

Ex-felons have already paid the price of their crime. Why punish them a second time? Why would you not want people to contribute to society after serving their time?

Then these are also all problems that need to be addressed. Would you agree that there should be identification required to vote if, in fact, all U.S. citizens were able to be identified as such?

I just don't understand what is so hard about maintaining a database of USC's. We shouldn't need to have pieces of paper that can be easily forged in order to prove our birth. They should have an electronic record of that.

Then these are also all problems that need to be addressed. Would you agree that there should be identification required to vote if, in fact, all U.S. citizens were able to be identified as such?

I do. But, as I wrote previously, it's the lesser issue, I believe. I'm far more concerned with the potential abuse of voting machines than with a non-USC voting.