LindaB

taking house plants?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just curious if I can take my house plants with me when I can finally move across the border? Has anyone had any trouble with that?

I know, that you cant bring new potted plants across because I had a poinsetta taken away once when I was taking it to a friends dinner but I heard taking house plants when you are immigrating is different.

Thanks

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just curious if I can take my house plants with me when I can finally move across the border? Has anyone had any trouble with that?

I know, that you cant bring new potted plants across because I had a poinsetta taken away once when I was taking it to a friends dinner but I heard taking house plants when you are immigrating is different.

Thanks

It depends on who's manning the border, what it is you want to import and how much you like your plants. Used to be that most of the time nobody cared, but after 911, forgetaboutit. The USDA gets real concerned when you try to import plants into the US with soil. That's the reason your poinsettia was confiscated. I know of many people who have imported plants into the US but they had the phytosanitary certificate from Agriculture Canada. Make a list of all the plants you want to import and their sizes and post it. A phytosanitary certificate will set you back $25 or more (I haven't checked lately). You could try your luck at the border, you might get a sympathetic guard but the phytosanitary requirement has been on the books since the early 1990s. How big are these plants of yours?

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Thanks, IR5. We are a looooong way from sweetie immigrating, unfortunately, but he has a really nice house plant he might want to bring.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks

It depends on who's manning the border, what it is you want to import and how much you like your plants. Used to be that most of the time nobody cared, but after 911, forgetaboutit. The USDA gets real concerned when you try to import plants into the US with soil. That's the reason your poinsettia was confiscated. I know of many people who have imported plants into the US but they had the phytosanitary certificate from Agriculture Canada. Make a list of all the plants you want to import and their sizes and post it. A phytosanitary certificate will set you back $25 or more (I haven't checked lately). You could try your luck at the border, you might get a sympathetic guard but the phytosanitary requirement has been on the books since the early 1990s. How big are these plants of yours?

The plants are small house plants, not worth the $25 fee for the phytosanitary certificate. Will have to leave them here in Canada then....too bad, a couple of them are about 10 years old

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I brought 7 houseplants with me - one of them was started by my grandmother and has been kept going since she was in her 20s so I wasn't leaving that behind. The phyto sanitary certificate covered all of the plants and cost me $18 at the time - that was nearly 4 years ago so it has probably gone up. Sure, you can 'replace' them here inexpensively, but sometimes even a plant has sentimental value. I brought the plants into work, and the inspector came to my place of work to inspect them. It was painless, so don't hesitate to take that route if you want to bring some of your houseplants in.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

LindaB, you can get around the phytosanitary certificate if you do it this way. Bareroot the plants if possible, wrap the roots in damp newspaper, put the roots with newspaper in a produce bag and tape it shut. Put in box and mail. If over 500g then attach CN22, if over 500g attach CN23. Value=NCV, description is tropical plants or plants. Mail and enjoy plants when you receive them in the mail. A package from me? I shouldn't have, I'm so thoughtful. :lol: I've never lost one this way. The biggest plant I've ever sent, a banana that was 18" long, the biggest I've ever received is a banana that was 36" long. Looks like I'll need a certificate for a 9-foot fig tree. :lol: Propagating (air-layering, stooling, cuttings, etc.) may be a solution for a very large houseplant. Take a few babies and leave momma plant behind.

Kathryn41, I know what you mean about plants having sentimental value. Australians have a real attachment to hoyas and many of them give them away to guests as a token of affection. I'm partial to plumerias myself (as well as the jasmines, bananas, figs, passifloras and just about all my other plants).

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• 3 weeks later...

My husband immigrated around christmas time in '07. Our plant certificate only cost us $11. I was able to list as many as I wanted, so on that certificate I brought back 6 houseplants. For me, the $11 was well worth the emotional ties I had with the plants....I had brought them with me when I had immigrated to Canada. Besides, I know around here, a 4" starter plant can easily run around $8 -10 and the plants are brought were at least 15 years worth of growth. Now mind you, we lived in Ontario, so I am not sure what other provinces charge.

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2faws.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif

Timeline:

02-26-05 Married

09-05-05 Permanent Resident of Canada

06-18-07 Mailed in husbands I-130 to US Consulate in Toronto

06-20-07 US Consulate in Toronto recieves I-130 packet via Expresspost packet

07-12-07 Call from Toronto Consulate, advised to call to confirm or make an appointment.

07-13-07 Called and spoke with Toronto Consulate, set appointment for 07-17-07

07-17-07 Interview at Consulate,APPROVED

08-07-07 Packet 3 arrived!!

08-20-07 Mailed DS-230 and Checklist to Montreal

08-21-07 Montreal received DS-230 and Checklist

09-04-07 Packet 4 from Montreal arrives !!

09-06-07 Medical scheduled for 09-19-07

09-19-07 Hubbie has medical, all went well, results to be mailed on 09-21-07

09-25-07 Pick up medical from fed-ex

10-05-07 Interview.........APPROVED !!!!

10-10-07 Recieved passport with Visa inside (all done for a few months)

11-08-07 Hubbie activated visa at Queenston/Lewis POE

12-19-07 Husband finally back home in Illinios, used Sarnia POE

Our Immigration approval took 3months, 2 weeks, and 5 days

Filed: Timeline

Thanks

Nope can't do. We had to leave Bren's botanical collection back in Deadmonton :whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.