Lakawanna Blues

Advice needed for F-1 student married to USC

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hey Guys,

Having read some of the posts on this forum, I realize that I may have a problem and would like your advice on a certain issue. I arrived in the US in May 2007 on an F-1 student visa with the intention of starting school in the Fall (my visa came late so I couldn't start in the summer as planned). My husband then suprised me by proposing to me at the beginning of July (we have known each other for over 7 years) and we had planned on waiting to have a ceremony but then discovered that the fees were going up so we decided to get married as soon as possible to try and avoid having to pay a whole lot of extra money.

Unfortunately, we then had a lot of financial problems after we got married because we had to move out of his parent's house, his mother chose not to help sponsor me any longer and he was recovering from a serious car accident and was undergoing the final stages of rehabilitation which costs a helluva lot even with insurance. We eventually had to choose between paying for me going to school and paying for his outsranding medical bills as well as his rehabilitation which meant that I was no longer able to go to school. Our plan was for my work authorization to come through and then I would go back to school. Hopefully, my work authorization will come through at the end of March '08 and I will be able to enroll in Summer school.

My question is, will the fact that I came on an F-1 visa but did not attend school pose a problem with my I-485 application? I had no intentions of marrying and settling in the states when I came. The proposal was a pleasant suprise to me and we decided to get the formalities out of the way to help us save money. Should I be concerned at this early stage? By the time we are interviewed we will have been married for close to a year already.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

My understanding is that if it's more than 60 days from when you enter on an F1 or H1 visa, that it's ok, as ok goes with immigration. Less than 60 days they look more closely for intent. Do you have ties to your home country that you can demonstrate if asked? Welcome to the USA.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: IR-5 Country: Tunisia
Timeline
My understanding is that if it's more than 60 days from when you enter on an F1 or H1 visa, that it's ok, as ok goes with immigration. Less than 60 days they look more closely for intent. Do you have ties to your home country that you can demonstrate if asked? Welcome to the USA.

I do not have any family in the US. My immediate family moved from Zimbabwe to the United Kingdom in 1995 so if I had plans to settle anywhere it would have been the UK. That is where I arrived from and where my F1 student visa was issued.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.