Dogwood_Poet

Friend's husband never filed papers, now unemployed

31 posts in this topic

One of my wife's friends has been in the US about two years, came here on a K-1 visa and they got married, but her husband has never filed ANY paperwork. He lost his job and has been diagnosed as bi-polar, so he has not tried to find a job and spends most of his time alone upstairs.

They survive on help from his family and she cleans houses and babysits, but she cannot get a job because she doesn't have a SSN. There are a couple of places willing to hire her as soon as she gets her SSN.

The husband will not take his medication or go back to the doctor, so she does not know what to do from here. I have been told that failure to file the papers can be considered as abuse and she could try and go that way to get her status adjusted. She is trying to find a co-sponsor as well from her family that lives in the US as well.

The husband keeps saying he is going to sign the papers so she can turn in the affidavit of support and then try for a co-sponsor, but never has.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Dogwood_Poet

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
One of my wife's friends has been in the US about two years, came here on a K-1 visa and they got married, but her husband has never filed ANY paperwork. He lost his job and has been diagnosed as bi-polar, so he has not tried to find a job and spends most of his time alone upstairs.

They survive on help from his family and she cleans houses and babysits, but she cannot get a job because she doesn't have a SSN. There are a couple of places willing to hire her as soon as she gets her SSN.

The husband will not take his medication or go back to the doctor, so she does not know what to do from here. I have been told that failure to file the papers can be considered as abuse and she could try and go that way to get her status adjusted. She is trying to find a co-sponsor as well from her family that lives in the US as well.

The husband keeps saying he is going to sign the papers so she can turn in the affidavit of support and then try for a co-sponsor, but never has.

Oh dear. Why doesn't she get the joint sponsors lined up first, and the I-485 completed and then present it to him for his signature? Is it a matter of the filing fees?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Everything is ready, he just keeps putting off signing the papers and if she asks him to sign them he gets mad at her.

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Everything is ready, he just keeps putting off signing the papers and if she asks him to sign them he gets mad at her.

:( that's horrible.

I wish her well.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Can she have one of his family members help her talk to him about getting her papers in? If they live with his family then there should be someone there that he listens to.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

If his family is helping them surive, they should know that adjusting her status is the key to allow her to be able to be employed legally. Is there nobody in his family that the husband will listen to, take advice from?

As others have suggested, maybe she can have all the forms filled out, line up the co-sponsor and enlist his family to help with getting him to sign on the 'dotted line'.

If there is a valid diagnosis of mental illness, is that not sufficient to allow a member of the family to attain Power of Attorney, and sign the AOS papers? Has your friend consulted w/ an immigration attorney for options?

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

The wife should get an INFOPASS appointment to speak with a INS representative. She should bring medical papers detailing and showing that her husband has bi-polar problem. Then she should explain because her husband is mentally unstable, she can not rely on him to file papers.

Maybe she could get some special waiver.

I have the opposite issue here and I feel for her greatly. It feels like one is living in the twilight zone if the SO has a disorder which prohibits him from performing the basic tasks necessary to thrive here in the US. I would suggest she get the family to try get him to sign. Secondly, can she get documentation from his doctor about his diagnosis and what he is capable or not capable of doing? If privacy laws prohibit her from getting information, then have an attorney write up a release statement that she can use. If all else fails, how about power of attorney or living trust. Mental illness and immigration feels, to me, like I have exploded on the inside and can't get out.

Wish her luck.

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The wife should get an INFOPASS appointment to speak with a INS representative. She should bring medical papers detailing and showing that her husband has bi-polar problem. Then she should explain because her husband is mentally unstable, she can not rely on him to file papers.

Maybe she could get some special waiver.

I agree with this.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What special waiver?

He signs or it does not happen.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

What special waiver?

He signs or it does not happen.

Well..... technically, he signs or she attempts to demonstrate that his emotional disorder is extreme cruelty, or that she would suffer hardship if sent back.

"diaddie mermaid"

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's her adjustment application - his signature is not required (except for the Affidavit of Support - one lousy document.)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

It's her adjustment application - his signature is not required (except for the Affidavit of Support - one lousy document.)

The papers referred to in the post above are the Affidavit of Support!

"diaddie mermaid"

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The papers referred to in the post above are the Affidavit of Support!

Oops, my bad.

I'd submit the I-485 paperwork anyway - even without his signature. She would

probably get RFE'd for it eventually, but her EAD application is likely to be approved

first (within 90 days of filing.)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.