Toastburglar

Will I need a police check to send in DS-230?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, first of all, I'm doing the CR1 visa thing. We've sent in the I864 and the IV bill already, so all I have left at NVC is the DS230, which I should get soon. My question is: will I need to send a police certificate in with the DS230? My understanding is that different countries require different things to be sent in, and Canadians need to send their birth certificate and a police check in with the DS230.

Can anyone confirm this? It's just that I'm visiting the US for the next month or so, so I'll need to start trying to obtain one now if I need it for the DS230 since I'm out of the country or risk delaying the process. If I don't need it until the interview, I can wait and get in when I'm back home in February.

Please tell me what I need for the DS230

Thank you all soooo much in advance

Toastburglar

Toastburglar's Timeline

Married Feb 14/07

mailed I-130 May 25/07

never got NOA1 :)

NOA2 Oct 17/07

Case complete Mar 26/08

Medical June 3/08

Interview June 13/08

Visa received June 16/08

Crossed border July 3/08

Wedding celebration Feb 13/09

Susana Faith born July 16/09!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay, first of all, I'm doing the CR1 visa thing. We've sent in the I864 and the IV bill already, so all I have left at NVC is the DS230, which I should get soon. My question is: will I need to send a police certificate in with the DS230? My understanding is that different countries require different things to be sent in, and Canadians need to send their birth certificate and a police check in with the DS230.

Can anyone confirm this? It's just that I'm visiting the US for the next month or so, so I'll need to start trying to obtain one now if I need it for the DS230 since I'm out of the country or risk delaying the process. If I don't need it until the interview, I can wait and get in when I'm back home in February.

Please tell me what I need for the DS230

Thank you all soooo much in advance

Toastburglar

My parents are IR5 so it may be a bit different for you. Police certificates usually are requested with the DS230. If you have a criminal conviction then you will need the court record as well as a fingerprint check. A name check will take 10 to 14 business days at most and it's good for one year so I don't see why you wouldn't get it and keep it. If you live in Toronto then you can go to the Peel Regional Police and get it done in 10 minutes. It's the fastest place I know of in the GTA. Many places in Canada do it while you wait. Some of them will even do it for free.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

Hi,

The DS-230 instruction letter from NVC will send you a link. Basically you just go here:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3176.html

Choose Montreal from the drop down list provided there.

The next page will give you details of what you need to send and includes a link to the DS-230 document to fill out and print. Basically the documents are (originals):

Birth Certificate

Court and Prison Records

Deportation Documentation

Marriage Certificate

Marriage Termination Documentation

Military Records

Photocopy of Valid Passport Biographic Data Page

Police Certificate(s)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

The DS-230 instruction letter from NVC will send you a link. Basically you just go here:

The next page will give you details of what you need to send and includes a link to the DS-230 document to fill out and print. Basically the documents are (originals):

Birth Certificate

Court and Prison Records

Marriage Certificate

Marriage Termination Documentation

Military Records

Police Certificate(s)

Thanks, Trailmix. I was too tired last night to go digging through my files to find that link. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
Hi,

Birth Certificate

Court and Prison Records

Marriage Certificate

Marriage Termination Documentati

Military Records

Police Certificate(s)

Does the police certifcate cost money? What do I ask for when I go to the RCMP?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.