MichelleandCraig

This is a serious question.....to all waiting

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
I just think it makes a huge difference if you already have the job, and the company wants something from you (i.e. valid GC), as opposed to when you are dealing with a prospective future employer. In the latter case you are undoubtedly in a way weaker position - as you want employment from them, while they still have a pool of candidates to fall back on, should you (the one with questionable papers) not be able to produce the desired papers on time.

You get the difference?

I do get the point, however, if you are able to provide proper documentation, like in burs' case, (proper documentation does not mean a GC, it can also be a valid DL and a SSC w/o annotation, or an expired conditional GC with NOA, etc.) and they don't hire you based on the fact that you can't show them a valid GC, than that is discrimination in my opinion.

If I was looking for a job and a prospective employer told me they wouldn't hire me because I can't provide a valid GC as proof of employment eligibility (an that's what it's all about), I would take that I-9 and throw it in their face. After all, you have to proof that you are authorized to work, not your immigration status.

Yeah, picking a fight with your future employer is a sure way to get hired.... and I doubt they would tell you that they didn't hire you because of your immigration status, of course they'd just pick something else... it's not like they're that stupid.

Most definately. Apparently that's what happened in burs' case. And yes, some employers are that stupid! After all some aren't even familiar with the I-9. A form that every new employee hast to fill out.

Why not pick a fight with a potential employer? Maybe it'll impress them to see how determined you are! ;)

:whistle: so true... I did that when I ran into an employer who really wanted to hire me but insisted on a GC. I only had an EAD at the time... I lectured them and told them that this was discrimination. They finally gave in - but I wouldn't have been caught dead working for a company who is so ignorant of the laws (especially considering this was a regulatory affairs position). :innocent:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think I was getting more frustrated with having to gather everything AGAIN (some or even most of which is the exact same ####### they asked for with AOS and at least for us a lot of it hasn't changed...except adding in adoption decrees and birth certificates) to send AGAIN with another check we can't really afford to write in the middle of the holidays when we're both working full time and have 3 kids to keep up with when we're not working!

BUT, that being said, it does make me nervous sometimes to think that if some stick up his/her butt adjudicator is having a bad day when he/she sees our file, we might end up having to jump through still more hoops or risk having them start proceedings and, let me tell you, if that happens, that adjudicator will wish they were never born. If they even CONSIDER making me a single parent by sending Terry back, THEY will have me and my three children on THEIR doorstep (AT HOME) by whatever means I can find to stalk them and make their lives even more miserable than they already are and we will STAY THERE until they change their minds. Anyway, that is my one nagging fear...that it's in their hands to screw with our entire lives...and it's not just me and my husband anymore. There are three little ones who depend on him besides me to help keep us all going.

Terry & Erica (the zookeepers)

Our Surprises/Blessings/The Animals:

Kaleb (froggy), age 6

Savannah (squirrely), 4

Kyra (monkey), age 18 months

Filed: Other Timeline

Besides that, it's a violation of the TOS to declare illegal intent on this site. Even though that intent to work illegally would be 'forgiven' by the service by virtue of marriage to a US Citizen, I hardly think it's a good idea to say 'oh well to hell with following the rules'.

Working under the table to pick up some spare change isn't quite equal, either, to someone being put off work from a career position they worked hard to obain after immigration simply because their employer is a nervous nellie about having an immigrant onboard.

This forum isn't harsher every day. You're just getting a reality check about life with a foreign born individual. Hearts, flowers and roses at the end of the waiting doesn't pay the bills or guarantee you eternal bliss. Somebody has to bake the biscuits, and it ain't gonna happen if you have your head up your rear-end thinking life will just take care of itself because you are reunited.

Robbing a bank is a bit different from working under the table, don't you think? The last time I looked, the police don't start chasing and shooting at you for working on a cash basis at a friend's business. There are many ways to work independently. No one said anything about not paying taxes.

What does knowing you or your situation have to do with not condoning illegal actions? To be quite honest, you might as well tell me you are going to rob a bank to pay your taxes, after all it's the IRS who you are dealing with and that makes it okay. I would feel exactly the same about that situation as I feel about working illegally.

And by the way... I came over here on a K-1 and wasn't able to work for a long time. My wife had just finished college and had to support us on an entry level salary. That time really sucked but guess what, we had no other choice and had to wait for my work permit before I could financially contribute something. Luckily we knew this would happen before we applied for the K-1 and were able to save up a bit.

The point I was trying to make is that both is illegal. I don't think USCIS and ICE will come after you for helping out your friend, who in return hands you a couple of bucks, either. (Provided you don't help your friend 40 hours a week ;)) Even though I think helping a friend in exchange for money might be considered illegal as well, if you aren't authorized to work. However, you were basically hinting that you were going to let your fiancee work illegally and as a law-abiding permanent resident I just shrug when I hear something like that.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out for the two of you and you won't have to turn into Bonnie and Clyde! :D

I agree with Erica, the annoying part is knowing that they have control over your life. I too have a 3 year old son and if they find something wrong with my application there is always the risk of them saying "go back to SA and refile" this could take 2 years being away from my child. (that is not a cheap flight) of course this is worst case scenario...

My application is legitimate, so I'm not worried, but being at their mercy does not sit well with me.

Also... in 2002 my F1 was approved here in the US. When I went home for vacation I had to "reapply" to get the VISA in my passport and I was DENIED - I was in tears and finally the guy made me get all kinds of paperwork together in order to be approved (luckily friends in the US were able to FedEx some of the required docs to me). In my 2 week visit I spent 3 full days at the Embassy.

In 2005 when I was applying for my AOS, the EAD was supposed to take 3 months, mine too 9 months (!!!!!) and as a result I lost my job at a top tier investment bank, I ALSO lost my insurance coverage... and of course... I was 3 months pregnant at the time!!! (luckily I could get coverage from my husbands company) the bank offered me a job once I received the new card, but I knew I'd only be there a few months before having Joshua.

I know you're not asking about the entire process... but they have the ability to really affect lives, and "the process" has affected my life... so the waiting is annoying because I never know what will happen this time... especially now that people who applied before me are being approved... who knows what is coming my way....

That's why the waiting annoys me....

Sept 10, 2001... Arrived in US (J1)

Sept 2002... AOS (J1 to F1)

March 2003...AOS Approved

May 2003... Flew to SA. Reapplied for F1. RFE and Finally Approved. 2 year F1 visa in Passport.

Jan 21 2004... Married in Chicago

Aug 2004... Applied for AOS, Petition for spouse and EAD

Feb 2005... Joshua, our little cutie pie is born on SuperBowl Sunday

May 2005... EAD Approved

Dec 17 2005... AOS & Petition approved (2 year green-card received)

Aug 4 2007... Mailed in I-751 = $275 (remove conditions)

Aug 31 2007... Everything returned, filed too early, wrong fee

Sept 17 2007 Refiled to NSC

Sept 18 2007... Delivered by DHL to NSC

Oct 10 2007... Received at CSC

Oct 15 2007... Check cashed, transfered to CSC

Oct 15 2007... Received 1st notice with application number and 1 year extension. Notice Dated 9/19/07

Nov 1 2007... tried walk-in biometrics, refused

Nov 8 2007...Biometrics completed. Staff at Naperville ASC were great!

Nov 9 2007... Last touch

March 7 2008... Card production ordered!!!!!!!! 5 months, 2 weeks and 5 days

March 12 2008... Case Status: Approval notice sent

March 15 2008...Green card received in mail...so done with USCIS done for a few years!!!!!! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
In 2005 when I was applying for my AOS, the EAD was supposed to take 3 months, mine too 9 months (!!!!!) and as a result I lost my job at a top tier investment bank, I ALSO lost my insurance coverage... and of course... I was 3 months pregnant at the time!!! (luckily I could get coverage from my husbands company) the bank offered me a job once I received the new card, but I knew I'd only be there a few months before having Joshua.

Just curious, but why didn't you get an interim EAD after the 90 days were up? That's what I did when I didn't get my EAD after the three months were up. Were there any special circumstances in your case?

I guess I didn't know something like that existed back then.... the 800 number wasn't helpful at all, just told me to make an appointment or wait... .. the HR dept in NY tried to intervene and help but they couldn't either.... I did go to an InfoPass appointment on Jackson street and they were useless too :(

Doesn't matter anymore though, I have another job that I'm happy with and all I can do is hope for the best and this application goes smoothly...

I was always in 2 minds about becoming a citizen, but after this process I've decided I'll become a citizen, go through that painful-paperwork process and then be done with immigration forever... (F)

Sept 10, 2001... Arrived in US (J1)

Sept 2002... AOS (J1 to F1)

March 2003...AOS Approved

May 2003... Flew to SA. Reapplied for F1. RFE and Finally Approved. 2 year F1 visa in Passport.

Jan 21 2004... Married in Chicago

Aug 2004... Applied for AOS, Petition for spouse and EAD

Feb 2005... Joshua, our little cutie pie is born on SuperBowl Sunday

May 2005... EAD Approved

Dec 17 2005... AOS & Petition approved (2 year green-card received)

Aug 4 2007... Mailed in I-751 = $275 (remove conditions)

Aug 31 2007... Everything returned, filed too early, wrong fee

Sept 17 2007 Refiled to NSC

Sept 18 2007... Delivered by DHL to NSC

Oct 10 2007... Received at CSC

Oct 15 2007... Check cashed, transfered to CSC

Oct 15 2007... Received 1st notice with application number and 1 year extension. Notice Dated 9/19/07

Nov 1 2007... tried walk-in biometrics, refused

Nov 8 2007...Biometrics completed. Staff at Naperville ASC were great!

Nov 9 2007... Last touch

March 7 2008... Card production ordered!!!!!!!! 5 months, 2 weeks and 5 days

March 12 2008... Case Status: Approval notice sent

March 15 2008...Green card received in mail...so done with USCIS done for a few years!!!!!! :)

Michelle, I'm pretty sure you and I were around at the same time originally when we did K1 and AOS and all that. Been too busy in the meantime to be around here! But when we got to needing to figure out what to do to lift conditions, well...where else do you go? ;) Anyway...you're definitely right. At this point, the immigration process doesn't seem nearly so scary and the gathering of stuff was lots easier (to the point that I ALMOST forgot to put the check in!) and I'll have so much going on that I'll probably barely think about it for the next 6 weeks or so as to whether we've gotten an NOA yet or not...but when his conditional card ACTUALLY expires...? If we haven't gotten an NOA by then...? Yeah, I'll be fidgety and nervous and my kids will probably be trying to figure out why mommy is freaking out now. :D I'm good at it, but now it happens because one kids wakes another up...not because I haven't heard anything from USCIS.

Terry & Erica (the zookeepers)

Our Surprises/Blessings/The Animals:

Kaleb (froggy), age 6

Savannah (squirrely), 4

Kyra (monkey), age 18 months

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Hehehe. Well, keep the hope. We got the receipt just a couple of days ago and the bio letter ALREADY today...for January 7th...so, movin' right along....SO. FAR. (not taking anything for granted!) Good luck to everyone else, and thanks for the insights! :) M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: Timeline

I'm just frustrated that the USCIS cannot provide consistent service across the nation. That's my beef. Just ain't right that they simply pick and choose what applications they work on on what applications get put to the side based on nothing but the location of the applicant or based on when that applicant happened to file their petition. That just ain't right.

As for all the worries with employment: I must be missing something here. I've worked for a number of companies in the US - both as an immigrant and as a naturalized citizen - and not once have I filled out the I-9 until after I was hired. Prior to being hired, I simply answered the question whether I am legally eligible for employment in the US with YES and whether I will now or in the future require sponsorship from the potential employer with NO. They cannot let you go simply because they're not familiar with the documents that you provide to verify your employment eligibility. You never show those documents to a potential employer, you present them to your employer after they hire you.

That said, any conditional resident should obtain the unrestricted SSC and a state ID and the issue of extension letters disappears for good. ;)

Timeline

Good advice, Reinhard.....and hey...did I ever mention to you that that baby is A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E.???????? ;) M.

ManU2.jpg

For YOU...what is the big deal about the wait? Again, *simply curious* :) M.

To get the whole thing over and done with Michelle ;)

Entry in the USA: May 13 2005

10 yr GC approved: October 5 2007

Timeline

Hi, Silvy!!!!! :)

and yes, that I can definitely agree with!!! M.

ManU2.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.