MichelleandCraig

This is a serious question.....to all waiting

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
As per the topic title, I don't wish to upset anyone....but I do have a genuine question, as I really can't understand the point of everyone getting all upset and impatient at the removing of conditions taking so long.

I mean...we are TOGETHER at this point....and all we are really doing is waiting. Most of us have the receipt already, so the GC has been extended, so the PR can do whatever he/she could before with no interruption....what's the big issue?

When we were all waiting for approvals to be *reunited* THAT I could understand...but I just don't see why people get all riled because it's taken so long (even a year, etc) to get a new GC.

To those who might say...I don't want to be in limbo or I want to just move on with my life and not worry about immigration...you're not in any sort of "limbo" and once you have that receipt, there's nothing you DO have to worry about. Get the bio letter, go do it, and then wait some more! :angry:;) Wait, wait, wait...the USCIS theme.

Anyway, I do realize, with the paragraph above, no one actually even said that :lol: I was just trying to "preanswer," I guess, responses I thought might be forthcoming.

Again, no offense intended....just honest bewilderment! Comments?? :star: Michelle

I can't answer for anybody else or even my family, because we don't have the green card yet. When we do, it won't be conditional. K1 folks can't really do what we did, so it doesn't apply and many K3 folks won't want to do it either but I intentionally avoided removal of conditions. We simply planned to delay filing AOS until late enough that the second wedding anniversary would precede the AOS interview.

Our reasons were multiple. I suppose we could have had my wife and daughter's green cards in early 2007 but that would mean we would be in the removal of conditions phase during 2009. Our plan at the time was to move our primary residence to China in mid 2009, so we didn't want to be messing with USCIS during that time. Plans have changed now, and we probably won't make the move until late 2009 or early 2010.

Another reason for delaying was the expense. Neither wife or daughter was ready or needed to work right away and travel to anywhere outside the USA except to China was not planned. We did file EAD for my wife a year ago and about six months ago for her daughter. Now they both work.

We intended to file AOS in early October, 2007 so the interview would definitely be after November 30, 2007. The plans changed to avoid the increased fees. We ultimately filed in late July, hoping the big rush would delay the interview until December at the earliest. It's now set for January 24. The green cards will have 10 year expirations.

What I didn't realize in my plan was that filing more than a year after their medical was done in China, would have required a new medical here. As it is, we filed in time, so are only providing vaccination suppliments for the interview. I won't know until we get there whether they'll make them take a new medical. The local office responds by email saying that's up to the adjudicator at interview. That doesn't sound right to me, but I've no way of getting a second opinion before the interview.

Anyway, for those that could benefit by using this strategy, it may be a good one. It will not work even for all K3's and certainly no K1's.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
Well, I'm not too worried about those things. Plenty of ways to work under the table and a DL is good for 4 years. I hardly think any paper would take that long. Even if it does, big deal. I can find a way for her to get to work.

Well as someone still waiting to be reunited. I don't even get a tizzy over that. Neither does my fiancée. Whining is not going to speed anything along any more than honking a horn in traffic jam. It only creates more useless anger and frustration. :yes:

I know once my fiancée gets her, the USCIS can drag their feet all they want. She's here! It's not like they send your loved back to their native country in between each step. :rolleyes:

How about you just wait till you get to our stage, and when your wife sits around at home for a couple of months because her DL expired and she can't get a new one, as well can't change jobs for a couple of months.... we shall talk again....

Yeah, working illegally ("under the table") is the way to go. Too bad I don't work in any profession that would allow for that. And I've had only a total of 3 DL's now in the past 3 1/2 years, and it will expire again next year May.... that much for your utopia of DLs being good for 4 years. I hope you never get a rough awakening from your dreams.... Keep sleeping.

I have to agree. The "plenty of ways to work under the table" comment is pretty stupid. Do you really want to go through all that trouble of obtaining a visa, only to have them sent your fiancée back when they catch her working illegally? If so, you might as well forget about the visa and just have her come over without a visa right away. (Disclaimer: This last comment is pure ironie!!!)

@tweety: I can understand your frustration and hope your case gets approved ASAP!

Timeline
Our plan at the time was to move our primary residence to China in mid 2009, so we didn't want to be messing with USCIS during that time.

How long are you planing to stay in China?

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

j t 03...

:) Hey. I'm on this forum (haven't been for quite a while, actually, aside from the occasional "pop on and say hi," because I was VERY worried in the beginning of our process in 04, and had tons of questions.

I'm specifically talking about Removing of Conditions here..not the entire process. I have never been worried about any part of this process, but I originally came to this forum to ask a question my husband (from UK) was concerned about....if we didn't receive our NOA1 receipt before his GC expiry (which we did) ...then what? So...there's your answer.

I think I have made it VERY clear numerous times that I'm aware everyone is entitled to their feelings...I just had a curiousity over it as I don't feel the same. I, PERSONALLY (nor Craig), don't feel in limbo, or whatever....because of this part of the process. Others have had different experiences which has made them FEEL, understandably, different. M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

tweety, why do your DL expire so quickly??? Possibly your state...I dunno. Mine was good for 4 years when I first got it, but it recently changed to 8 years. As of my bday in 08 I will have to get a new one...haven't had to since 2000. It must be the state.... M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Timeline
tweety, why do your DL expire so quickly??? Possibly your state...I dunno. Mine was good for 4 years when I first got it, but it recently changed to 8 years. As of my bday in 08 I will have to get a new one...haven't had to since 2000. It must be the state.... M.

The expiry date of the DL is the same as the expiry date of the immigration document provided (in theory all DMVs from most states should enforce this).

In my case it was EAD (1 year), conditional greencard (add another year or so) and then NOA1 (another year, plus it was pure luck I got another DL anyway, as the NOA1 is NOT stated as one of the proofs for DMV in Oklahoma to accept, and the instructor falsely marked it as an I551 stamp).

So there I will be - next year in May, hoping for my first 4 year DL (but only should I have my 10 year card then) - otherwise it will be another year with the I551 stamp in passport and DL# 4.

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Nice wishes to you to, geez! These forum is getting more and more rude lately.

Yeah, working illegally ("under the table") is the way to go. Too bad I don't work in any profession that would allow for that. And I've had only a total of 3 DL's now in the past 3 1/2 years, and it will expire again next year May.... that much for your utopia of DLs being good for 4 years. I hope you never get a rough awakening from your dreams.... Keep sleeping.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

You do not know me or my situation. If I have a way to find under the table work for my fiancée that is hardly stupid. It's being resourceful. Excuse me all to Hell for thinking life is just a little to short to get all worked in a froth over delays. This is the govenment we are talking about and they have always worked at a snail's pace.

I have to agree. The "plenty of ways to work under the table" comment is pretty stupid. Do you really want to go through all that trouble of obtaining a visa, only to have them sent your fiancée back when they catch her working illegally? If so, you might as well forget about the visa and just have her come over without a visa right away. (Disclaimer: This last comment is pure ironie!!!)

@tweety: I can understand your frustration and hope your case gets approved ASAP!

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
What annoys me is the biometrics game we have had to play with USCIS. We haven't even been able to move on from that point yet. We waited awhile to get a biometrics notice, then he went and got it done, then got another biometrics letter because his fingerprints didn't work...went again, and then got an RFE because they didn't work again. Now we had to send in a police report. So we aren't able to just sit back and wait yet, due to the fingerprint problem. So we are constantly dealing with USCIS so far, no just waiting around for it to happen. It seems every couple weeks we are getting a letter asking for something else and it's getting old! :P

If that part gets resolved, we are fine waiting for the approval. It just can get irritating because it reminds you how inconsistent USCIS service centers are. People who sent in their apps months after us, got their bio appt really fast and already got approved, while we are waiting in biometrics limbo. LOL SO it's hard not to get annoyed about it sometimes. And then there are those of us lucky to get transferred to CSC while many at TSC and others are waiting much much longer. It's the inconsistency of it all that's aggrevating.

Also Suj feels a little uncomfortable visiting India with only the receipt and stamp in his passport(which he'd have to get at our local office) and would much rather have the actual card before he visits India again so they don't question his status over in India.

This happened to us at the AOS stage. Man, what a pain! Good luck with the police report, it was really easy to get here and we picked it up the same day.

We got it easy too, and sent it out today! Hopefully that's good enough for them and we can move on.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

If you are going to post about doing illegal things(working under the table), which is a sore spot for us Vjers, you are going to get some responses about it. My husband could have worked under the table when he first came, but why risk doing that? It's better to do things legally.

And I know you are still separated so it may be annoying to see people complain about the process after being together, but you aren't realizing a lot about it. Like that for some people it's effecting their daily lives. Yes they are very happy to be with their SOs, I am too, but when you are jumping through hoops you get a little tired from it. It's not just always sitting around doing nothing while waiting. They want this, they want that, your employer can give you a hard time, the DL issue can be complicated, even traveling, because your status is weird at this time. You have an expired GC and a letter saying you are legit, yet some focus on the expired GC and don't let you live your life, as seen from some examples here.

Nice wishes to you to, geez! These forum is getting more and more rude lately.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Timeline
You do not know me or my situation. If I have a way to find under the table work for my fiancée that is hardly stupid. It's being resourceful. Excuse me all to Hell for thinking life is just a little to short to get all worked in a froth over delays. This is the govenment we are talking about and they have always worked at a snail's pace.

What does knowing you or your situation have to do with not condoning illegal actions? To be quite honest, you might as well tell me you are going to rob a bank to pay your taxes, after all it's the IRS who you are dealing with and that makes it okay. I would feel exactly the same about that situation as I feel about working illegally.

And by the way... I came over here on a K-1 and wasn't able to work for a long time. My wife had just finished college and had to support us on an entry level salary. That time really sucked but guess what, we had no other choice and had to wait for my work permit before I could financially contribute something. Luckily we knew this would happen before we applied for the K-1 and were able to save up a bit.

Edited by Germerican

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

When my wife and I filed the I-751, I thought I'd be able to forget about it after she completed her biometrics. After all, no matter how long it takes for them to approve, it doesn't affect when she's eligbile for citizenship.

That said, we need that sense of closure. Once this is done, she doesn't have to do anything for ten years. Sure I'd love for her to become a citizen, but she should be able to choose whether to do that at a time of her choosing, rather than applying just to force a decision on the I-751.

On a side note, you'd be surprised how many people don't understand the extension letter, let alone a valid passport and green card. We had trouble flying Frontier Airlines to Canada last month because the agents thought since my wife's K1 had expired, that her green card must be expired too. :( I can't imagine they'd let us fly if the green card was expired, even with an extension letter...

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Timeline

Robbing a bank is a bit different from working under the table, don't you think? The last time I looked, the police don't start chasing and shooting at you for working on a cash basis at a friend's business. There are many ways to work independently. No one said anything about not paying taxes.

What does knowing you or your situation have to do with not condoning illegal actions? To be quite honest, you might as well tell me you are going to rob a bank to pay your taxes, after all it's the IRS who you are dealing with and that makes it okay. I would feel exactly the same about that situation as I feel about working illegally.

And by the way... I came over here on a K-1 and wasn't able to work for a long time. My wife had just finished college and had to support us on an entry level salary. That time really sucked but guess what, we had no other choice and had to wait for my work permit before I could financially contribute something. Luckily we knew this would happen before we applied for the K-1 and were able to save up a bit.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline
Robbing a bank is a bit different from working under the table, don't you think? The last time I looked, the police don't start chasing and shooting at you for working on a cash basis at a friend's business. There are many ways to work independently. No one said anything about not paying taxes.

The point I was trying to make is that both is illegal. I don't think USCIS and ICE will come after you for helping out your friend, who in return hands you a couple of bucks, either. (Provided you don't help your friend 40 hours a week ;)) Even though I think helping a friend in exchange for money might be considered illegal as well, if you aren't authorized to work. However, you were basically hinting that you were going to let your fiancee work illegally and as a law-abiding permanent resident I just shrug when I hear something like that.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out for the two of you and you won't have to turn into Bonnie and Clyde! :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.