dpinternational

K1 Visa Married but did not work out now claiming abuse

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Djibouti
Timeline

I brought my Fiancé over here on a K1 Visa and got married in the 90 days. Well after a few weeks of marriage things weren't working out. At that point I offered her money and a plane ticket to go back home because I could not trust her living with me anymore. So at that point things got real bad. she started claiming abuse got me arrested attempted a restraining order. Also had to go to court for criminal charges of hitting her but luckily she didn't show up. She has been in and out of abused women shelters. Supposedly hiding from me. Even though she called me all the time and stupid me even picked her up a few times to see her and take her to my grandparents for Thanksgiving. This all happened in NJ.

She started talking about having family in Maine so I figured it would be best to fly her there for both of us. So I bought her a plane ticket to move in with some family. Then I got word she got kicked out of there and went back to a battered women's shelter claiming I was looking for her. Again calling me from the shelter.

Every time I asked her for an address or something to send her divorce papers she ignored the question or said I need to speak to my lawyer. So finally about a year and a half later I have my uncontested divorce hearing this month since I cant find her.

This girl really tried to screw me time and time again. And it really makes me mad that she is now living in her own apartment probably being paid for from our tax money. From what I know she still isn't legal to work here. So I was thinking that would be the first step to being a citizen. I am not usually spiteful but after all she put me through and all the stories she made up in court I would love for her to have to go back where she came from.

Also am I supposed to notify anyone once the divorce or annulment is final? Wonder if she is still going to be able to stay here since she is claiming abuse. Even though I won at court. Any suggestions I would appreciate it. I hate being a sucker

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I brought my Fiancé over here on a K1 Visa and got married in the 90 days. Well after a few weeks of marriage things weren't working out. At that point I offered her money and a plane ticket to go back home because I could not trust her living with me anymore. So at that point things got real bad. she started claiming abuse got me arrested attempted a restraining order. Also had to go to court for criminal charges of hitting her but luckily she didn't show up. She has been in and out of abused women shelters. Supposedly hiding from me. Even though she called me all the time and stupid me even picked her up a few times to see her and take her to my grandparents for Thanksgiving. This all happened in NJ.

She started talking about having family in Maine so I figured it would be best to fly her there for both of us. So I bought her a plane ticket to move in with some family. Then I got word she got kicked out of there and went back to a battered women's shelter claiming I was looking for her. Again calling me from the shelter.

Every time I asked her for an address or something to send her divorce papers she ignored the question or said I need to speak to my lawyer. So finally about a year and a half later I have my uncontested divorce hearing this month since I cant find her.

This girl really tried to screw me time and time again. And it really makes me mad that she is now living in her own apartment probably being paid for from our tax money. From what I know she still isn't legal to work here. So I was thinking that would be the first step to being a citizen. I am not usually spiteful but after all she put me through and all the stories she made up in court I would love for her to have to go back where she came from.

Also am I supposed to notify anyone once the divorce or annulment is final? Wonder if she is still going to be able to stay here since she is claiming abuse. Even though I won at court. Any suggestions I would appreciate it. I hate being a sucker

If I were you, I'd notify the USCIS now with a full explanation and then again when the divorce is final. In all likelyhood, she'll successfully adjust status base on her abuse claim. She may already have done so.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good luck!

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

Timeline
Good luck!

IF she adjusted her status wouldnt she be able to work? I thought that was one of the first things.

Also when i do a search for her name on one of those people finders nothing comes up. I even tried using her social security card number which she doesent have anymore. And I had to pay some guy to try to find her and nothing. So I figured if she did adjust status she would have to be able to be found. I dont know I can be wrong.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline
Good luck!

IF she adjusted her status wouldnt she be able to work? I thought that was one of the first things.

Also when i do a search for her name on one of those people finders nothing comes up. I even tried using her social security card number which she doesent have anymore. And I had to pay some guy to try to find her and nothing. So I figured if she did adjust status she would have to be able to be found. I dont know I can be wrong.

Sounds like she started the abuse claim so she could adjust status. Just be happy you got away from her. I wouldnt try to find her it may just cause problems for you again. Goodluck and sorry to hear what happen. Sometimes things just dont work and sometimes they do

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The mistake here was your further contact after she had you arrested for something you didn't do. That was your weakness that enabled this problem to get worse. Like someone else said, I've heard worse. You got the divorce? Good, stop trying to find her and move on. I guarantee you she isn't happy right now and feels stupid for what she tried to pull off.

Visa took too long, grew apart and withdrew visa after six months.

You're divorcing her. You should notify USCIS. And what happens from here on out is really up to her. She may be able to file under VAWA (it's not a quick or easy process) for her own green card. The social security number is still hers even if you take away the card. And so you know, you probably make her case a little easier for her by stalking her.

I'm very sorry this happened to you.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

sorry to hear about your situation.

Is it that easy to claim that you are abused by someone? I mean, do they not ask for evicendence like hospital report or so?

Otherwise everybody that has bad intentions by abusing K1 could do that to receive a GC.

06/02/2006 - filed I-129F

12/16/2006 - Enter States thru Atlanta

01/13/2007 - Marriage

01/19/2007 - Filed AOS and EAD to Chicago

02/06/2007 - NOA that AOS has been forwarded to CSC

02/12/2007 - Fingerprinting in St. Louis

03/28/2007 - email notification that card production ordered!!!! (Day 68)

04/20/2007 - GC in the mail.....no more USCIS for 2 years!!!!!

12/29/08 - Filed I-751 to VSC

01/12/09 - NOA in mail

01/24/09 - received ASC notice

02/06/09 - biometrics appointment in Orlando

02/09/09 - touch

06/01/09 - approval letter in mail

12/11/09 - Filed N-400 to NSC

12/14/09 - Package arrived at NSC

12/26/09 - NOA in mail

01/22/10 - Fingerprinting in Orlando

03/08/10 - Interview in Orlando (passed)

03/12/10 - Oath Ceremony

Matthew Quoc-Minh *11/29/08*

7 lbs 6 oz. (3.35 kg) and 20" (51cm)

01/29/09 (2-month-check-up): 11.9 lbs (5.4 kg) and 22" (56cm)

03/30/09 (4-month-check-up): 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg) and 25" (63cm)

05/29/09 (6-month-check-up): 19.2 lbs (8.7 kg) and 26" (66cm)

12/1/09 (12-month-check-up): 22 lbs (10 kg) and 30.3" (77cm)

06/11/10 (18-month-check-up): 27.5 lbs (12.5 kg) and 33.5" (85cm)

12/13/10 (24-month-check-up): 31.7 lbs (14.4 kg) and 35.8" (91cm)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

there is alot of that going around just say someone did something and how do you prove otherwise. it soils your name and puts a big black mark on your life. i have been down that road also got my name cleared but still it hurts you good luck and the best thing is move on forget her she used you and all you can do is call uscis and explain to them what happened

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Good luck!

That is correct, but I doubt you know for sure whether she's working either.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline
You're divorcing her. You should notify USCIS. And what happens from here on out is really up to her. She may be able to file under VAWA (it's not a quick or easy process) for her own green card. The social security number is still hers even if you take away the card. And so you know, you probably make her case a little easier for her by stalking her.

Wise words Caladan :thumbs:

To the OP: notify USCIS of divorce. Whatever happens to her is out of your hands now.

Timeline

Wise words Caladan :thumbs:

To the OP: notify USCIS of divorce. Whatever happens to her is out of your hands now.

Thanks for all the replys... I am going for my uncotested divorce hearing tommorrow. Hopefully I will be able to get an annullment. I guess I will just send a copy to the USCIS and call it quits.

Is it really that easy to file under VAWA. Police report says she had no marks when she claimed I hit her. My lawyer ripped her apart when she went for a restraining order. She didnt even show up for the criminal charge of suposivley hitting her. And the really crazy thing is right after she lost trying to get a restraining order she started calling me again from her battered womens shelter. Told me that they made her do it.

I wanted to walk away then but fealt bad since she didnt have anyone else. thats why once she said she had family in maine I bought her a plane ticket there.

I have to say everyone is right about just being happy it is over and moving on.

I'm sorry to hear about what you've gone through. I hope that once you have the divorce or annulment completed, you will be able to start your healing process.

We have a VJer who filed under VAWA and it was a very long and arduous process for her. So, no, it's not easy to file under VAWA. She will have to present a lot of hard evidence to prove her case.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You got hosed, sorry hope it is getting better for you. Contact ICE(they are on the web) and call their 800 number give them all your information about the former spouse and they will go after her to deport.

:thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.