Sign in to follow this  
DeadPoolX

The War on Christmas

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Since it's that gift-giving time of year again, when the malls are overflowing with shoppers (and it's damn hard to find a parking space), I thought I'd revisit a little subject that seems to set off a wild variety of emotions and responses with people: Christmas. Realistically speaking, it shouldn't be that big of a topic, but it seems that some people have a huge problem with anything Christian-related (even though Christmas has become so commercialized, it barely resembles the original intent of the holiday) that they wish to do away with anything that refers to it. That seems ridiculous to me.

I'm Jewish (I'm sure a number of you already knew that) and therefore, I am easily within the minority in the United States, seeing as how Jews make up about two percent of the overall population. The U.S. predominately celebrates Christmas and other Christian holidays (some people would even say that the U.S. was founded as a "Christian Nation" but there is evidence for and against this statement) since most Americans are Christian.

If I were to take offense to this (as some seem to do) and demand my so-called "equal rights" and "fair representation" of my religion and culture, I'd be raising a fuss about how Jewish holidays such as Passover, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Hanukkah (in addition to other lesser known Jewish holidays) aren't given the same consideration as Christian holidays, like Easter or Christmas. But you know what? I don't care. Maybe that's just me being apathetic, but it doesn't bother me.

I don't mind if someone says "Merry Christmas" to me instead of "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Hanukkah" (provided they don't know I'm Jewish beforehand; if they do, then it just seems ignorant and/or rude). If they don't know me well, how would they know that I'm Jewish? Unless a Jew is wearing his Yarmulke (women don't wear these) during religious services, most Jews look very similar, if not the same as Christians. I can't speak for others, however. They may feel differently on the subject.

In addition, I think calling that time off in December from school "Winter Break" instead of "Christmas Vacation" is just plain dumb. Sure, the time off is during the winter; however, the very reason students get the time off in the first place is because of Christmas! They're not getting it off due to Hanukkah or Kwanzaa!

All of this isn't to say that I don't like to see a little nod to Hanukkah during the holidays too. It's nice to see some decorations that are of Menorahs or a Star of David or whatever else. I don't see anything wrong with including holidays together -- Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and any other holiday around this time of year, could all be represented. That'd be fine and something I'd probably like as well. But there's no reason to exclude one or more holidays to showcase others. The only time I could think to purposefully reject other holidays would be if the area in question was religious in nature (after all, you probably wouldn't show a Christmas Tree at a synagogue or a Menorah at a church).

Anyway... that's my rant on this topic. Feel free to add to it. ;)

it does not bother me and never did..who cares if someone says merry christmas or happy holiday or f##k you ..don't sweat the small sh!t..

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I dunno – I find the whole thing rather ludicrous to be honest. The to-ing and fro-ing over public tree decorations, whether a tree can be displayed, what to call people’s time off during ‘that’ time of the year is almost laughable. There’s no common sense there, but outside of selling books for outraged talk-show hosts I think its really a very big storm in a very small tea cup. Getting puffed up and angry over something like that is equally ridiculous IMO.

Its one of those seasonal bandwagon things - not unlike "Gee, exam pass rates are up this year. O.M.G!!!! The exams must be getting easier!!!"

None of it changes what my family does at home during ‘that’ time of year, or how we choose to celebrate Christmas.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't really see this perceived "war on Christmas". I don't know anybody who takes offense to Christmas or being wished Merry Christmas. Where are all of these Christmas warriors? Much ado about nothing, IMO.

Filed: Timeline

I like this song. It's from South Park. Sung by the character Kyle Broflofski.

Artist: Kyle Broflofski With Special Celebrity

Song: The Lonely Jew on Christmas

Kyle: It's hard to be a Jew on Christmas.

My friends wont let me join in any games.

And I cant sing Christmas songs

Or decorate a Christmas tree

Or leave water out for Rudolph

`Cause there's something wrong with me.

My people don't believe in Jesus Christ's divinity.

I'm a Jew,

A lonely Jew

On Christmas.

Hanukkah is nice but why is it

That Santa passes over my house every year?

And instead of eating ham I have to eat kosher latkes

Instead of Silent Night I'm singing

Hoo Hact Toh Gaveesh

And what the fukc up with lighting all these

Fukcing candles please?

I'm a Jew,

A lonely Jew

I can't be merry

`Cause I'm Hebrew

On Christmas.

Celebrity Guest: Hey little boy I couldn't help but hear

Your feeling left out of Christmas cheer

And I've come to say that you shouldn't be sad

This is the one month you should be glad

`Cause its nice to be a Jew on Christmas.

You don't have to deal with the season at all.

You don't have to be on your best behavior or give to charity.

You don't have to have to go to grandma's house with your alcoholic family.

Kyle: And I don't have to sit on some fake Santa's lap

And have him breath is stinky breath on me.

Celebrity Guest: That's right, your a Jew!

Kyle: A styling Jew!

Together: Its a good time to be Hebrew,

On Christmas...

Celebrity Guest: On Christmas

Edited by VJ Troll

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I don't really see this perceived "war on Christmas". I don't know anybody who takes offense to Christmas or being wished Merry Christmas. Where are all of these Christmas warriors? Much ado about nothing, IMO.

You're forgetting - It's the War on ChristmasTM. O'Reilly, or someone similar gets paid everytime someone says it in the news.

sara silverman:

hate to say it Santa

But you're acting like a #######

You should give presents to everyone whose good

and not just to your personal clique

If you bring me a toy to open Christmas morning

I'll let you be my boyfriend

All bearded, fat, and horny (Oh yea)

What does Jesus have to do with you?

You've got as much to do with Jesus as you do with Scooby Doo

What do you have to do with Jesus?

You have as much to do with him as you do your mother's ####### (Oh yea)

So I don't think he's the son of God

I think he was still a nice boy

If you ask yourself, "What would Jesus do?"

He'd say give the jew girl toys (give the jew girl toys)

Don't be a douche

What would Jesus do?

He'd say, "give the jew girl toys"

You made a list and I checked it twice

and there is nobody named Silverman, or Mascowitz, or Weisz

You have a list

Well Schindler did too

Liam Neeson played him

Tim Allen played you

Give the jew girl toys

Don't be a douche

What would Jesus do?

He'd say, "give the jew girl toys"

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You're forgetting - It's the War on ChristmasTM. O'Reilly, or someone similar gets paid everytime someone says it in the news.

No doubt. :lol:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

"...it seems that some people have a huge problem with anything Christian-related (even though Christmas has become so commercialized, it barely resembles the original intent of the holiday) that they wish to do away with anything that refers to it. That seems ridiculous to me."

Here lies the problem. If one media outlet (Fox News for example) decides to cover something like the death of Anna Nicole Smith, then it seems like she is on everybody's mind. You hear people talking about around the water cooler at work, you hear someone mention her on the radio....we get bombarded with an otherwise, unnewsworthy story which implies its significance or relevance. That's what, IMO, Fox News has done with so many events or stories. They are a 24 hour news station, so they can bombard their viewers with something that is really nothing and make everyone start talking about it.

Fox News and all news media do not accurately reflect the real world, even if they deliver news. By the choices they make, they can steer viewer's impressions about what is 'being talked about'. To me, it's just a form of manipulation and I resent it. Just like that missing blonde in Aruba...I don't f#cking care to hear about it to the point they've taken it. Thank the internet for providing an avenue for more independent news sources who aren't so caught up in making the news.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I called it "The War on Christmas" because I figured that title was a lot shorter than "People Who Have Nothing Better to Do Than Complain About Unimportant ####### and Take It Out On Christmas During The Holidays." ;)

Filed: Timeline

I called it "The War on Christmas" because I figured that title was a lot shorter than "People Who Have Nothing Better to Do Than Complain About Unimportant ####### and Take It Out On Christmas During The Holidays." ;)

And by now, everyone knows exactly what it means.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

First of all, I'm not a Christian, but I don't mind if people say Merry Christmas to me, as long as they don't get bent out of shape if I happen to say Happy Holidays back to them. I don't think there is anything wrong with department stores or anyone else in the service industry instructing employees to say Happy Holidays to customers seeing as they don't know if someone is Christian, Jewish, Pagan, Muslim, Hindu....etc... I pesonally don't know why THIS offends people. You are including everyone and in saying Happy Holidays...also including New Years...not bad huh? If I know someone is especially strongly Christian or Jewish I'd purposely say Merry Christmas or Happy Hannukah.

I think getting all bent out of shape about Christmas trees in public places is a nuts. I like to see the inclusion of other faiths in public places. To get crazy about a pine tree with some sparkly lights seems totally crazy as this doesn't represent Christianity in my mind. I could understand people getting upset however over a manger scene in a government building if a menorrah isn't allowed to co-exist there. If people are going to ask for a manger to be taken down, they'd better not ask for a menorrah then. In that case all the religious "stuff" should be on the church/temple/mosque property. But personally, I don't mind seeing it.

Crazily enough, I LOVE Christmas carols...but not 24 hours-a-day for the whole month of December...aaack! And even though I'm not Christian, it's the Christian carols I love more than the others. Not much of "Chestnuts Roasting..." sorta girl. The reason though I love these carols is because it's what I grew up with and all of the warm fuzzy memories I have of childhood Christmases....and I've been in a few choral groups, so it's really also about the singing of them I like....not the words behind it.

I kind of feel the "war on Christmas" is a bit overblown. I said this in a thread before...as a Christian, is it so important to be obsessed someone wanting a Christmas tree to be taken down when said tree isn't a Christian symbol anyway. And sheesh, so someone says Happy Holidays...big whoop! If you are getting together with your family, friends, church, and celebrating what it is you believe the holiday is all about, isn't that all that matters?

I'm sure I have more thoughts on this, but I can't think of any right now.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony